Husqvarna 55's... JUNK?????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamar_3704

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've come across two 55's in the past couple months... both with toasted pistons. I've also seen LOTS on ebay with the exact same problem. I know that at times someone may screw up and straight gas a saw.... but does everybody that owns a 55 do that?????

Is there a flaw somewhere in these saws thats causing this or is it just the market that these saws are targetted towards is inexperienced???

I don't own a saw shop or anything like that so I'm hoping that some of you that do and have experience with these saws will chime in here with your opinion.

Does this saw burn up more often than any of the others, and WHY??

A lot of homeowners and first time buyers buy those saws, I think that's why you see so many.

Oh Shat sorry, they are good saws a little outdated by todays standards, but they are good saws, They go on sale alot here in Canada, I think they just got axed from the New lineup of huskys though.

Last edited:
Pretty much what trigger man said. First time homeowners that don't really know what maintenance means. They are good saws, but a pain to work on. I had the 51 for a short while, basically the same saw just smaller. Stout little saw but 10 pounds of #### in a 5 pound bag.

Pretty much what trigger man said. First time homeowners that don't really know what maintenance means. They are good saws, but a pain to work on. I had the 51 for a short while, basically the same saw just smaller. Stout little saw but 10 pounds of #### in a 5 pound bag.

:laugh::laugh: I HAV'NT HEARD THAT ONE IN A LONG TIME:cheers:

Good firewood saw and if you look up some of Cliffs posts you will see he has them in service daily. I have one and love it but I get my wood from a tree service so all the tops and branches less than 20 or so inches are gone before I get the logs. I had the bar buried constantly which is a little much for the 55 but it starts easy has plenty of power and is better than anything you would get out of the big box stores.

I agree... The whole carb/linkage/all the other schtuff thats under the hood makes it a real pain.

I'm glad to hear that some of you have had good luck with them. I was really starting to wonder if it was just a homeowner/inexperienced operator issue after seeing so many of them burnt up.

50/1 too thin?

I have yet to run a saw with that ratio.I get nervous running in high temp and high r's.You need optimum lube protection with good clean gas &quality oil.I have a saw purchased in "79" running 32/1 Castrol 2cyl.oil.The saw has had a carb kit&plugs.It has outlasted my marriage by a year.Moral of this:Marry your faithful little swede.

Ive done a 55 that ran lean and a 51 that had a worn out ring with low compression. If you look on ebay there are alot of 51/55s for sale that were run lean. I think there is a problem with the saws but cant prove it. I do like the design of them and once I put them back in running order I liked them.:cheers:

Not Junk At All!

Funny that you asked- I've worked on lots of Husky 55's and 51's, and I just finished on one last night. I bought a new 51 back in 1993 (Black Top). it was my only saw for 12 years, I wore out 3 bars on it, and it still has 160 psi compression.
I would chalk it up to inexperienced owners- usually running them with straight gas, some I see have been run with no air cleaner as well.

Funny you bring this up.

I just did a p&c on my neighbor's 55 last year and I wouldn't call him an inexperienced homeowner cutter. The carb had gone out of adjustment or somebody messed with it which caused the failure.

I actually found it pretty easy to work on compared to the newer husky saws.

Seems well built too.

Aside from the carby screws I find them great little saws. I have two and all I have worn out are the anti-vibe bushings.

Nardoo

They sold a lot of them your going to see more burnt up ones just due to the numbers. One thing bad on them is that the carb mounting screws strip out easy maybe causing a air leak . The open port version is no powerhouse and can't really handle the 3/8 chain they put on a lot of them, cuts WAY faster with a .325 setup. The closed port has quite a bit more power but still cuts the best with a .325, yes I know that they will run a 3/8 and throw chips farther but the .325 will cut faster in anything but small softwood. Steve

The 51's and 55's are excellent saws. We see a LOT of them with P/C issues, no doubt about it. I would imagine this happens simply because of the numbers of units sold and still in service after many years of less than adequate maintenence.

Also keep in mind that this new fuel requires more of it (less BTU's) and it's not a bad idea either to add some additional oil in the mix either. If you are a homeowner, or casual chainsaw user, it's unlikely the saws mixture screws will ever get touched, let alone take the limiter caps off of them. I have yet to find a 51 or 55 with the limiter caps in place, that would come within an ideal "range" with the "H" speed screw. They are too lean even with the screw maxxed out. This fact alone is going to toast some P/C's on high mileage units.

You've also got homeowners pulling them out after they have sat up for months or even years with old fuel in the tanks. Nothing harder on the P/C than some crusty fuel and a dull chain!

I've also been seeing a LOT of kinked, damaged and split fuel lines. As the fuel line sucks air instead of fuel, this can/will cause the saw to go lean when the leak is very slight, before it gets bad enough that the saw will no longer run correctly, another possible contributor to P/C failure.

This 51/55's were available for many years and came in several "flavors". I have one of each model here, an open port 51, closed port 55, and an open port 55 "Rancher". The closed port 55 is by far the fastest of the bunch, with strong top end power. It is not as "smooth" or broad of a torque curve as the 51 or 55 Rancher. I was cutting with it last night, and had thought I took the 55 Rancher to the woods. I was thinking to myself that the 55 was running better than it ever had, and was quite impressed with it. After finishing up the load, I went to strap it down on the Quad, and realized it was the closed port 55 I'd been using. I chuckled to myself for a second. I am very fond of that particular saw, it's like running a mini versioin of a 372XP.

As for P/C's, I ALWAYS use OEM, even if I get them from damaged used saws. Even though there were many minor changes to the 55's over the years of production, most parts will interchange between all models.

Another very good reason to use and rebuild these saws is parts support. With plenty of low hrs units out there with fuel system issues, or even P/C issues, you can get parts saws very reasonable. Far as I know, all the factory parts are still available as well?......Cliff

The Husky 55 is one saw the I've always wondered WTF were the engineers thinking. I'll compare that the the Poulan Pro 330 which is my favorite saw in the class as I don't own the 346 which they say is tops.

In my opinion the intake system on the 55 is a one-time use only item (junk). I've worked on several (8-12 units), and by the time those cheesy long sheet metal screw that hold the carb down are run in and out a couple of times the intake block is toast, chunk it and buy a new one. Don't even get me started on the intake boot on this one as there are no clamps and I had one that swollen up enough to cause an air leak. The 330 is held on with metal nuts and bolts and has a flexible intake with separate impulse hose. Score is PP330 1 Husky 0.

Now to look at the impulse system on each, The PP uses the same tried and true separate impulse line that has been around for years and still used by different manufacturers. The 55 on the other had uses wedged type rubber fitting in the cylinder that I can never tell if it right or now. It's not something you can readily see after putting the intake on so you have to vacuum test to make sure. Score is PP-2 Husky-0

Anti vibe is bout equal, air filter system, (while I do like the 330 better it's not well enough to give it an advantage), throttle controls are about the same. Call this one a push.

The oiler on the PP is so much ahead of the 55 till it's not even close. On my PP330 running a 18" bar I have the oiler turned almost all the way down and it still is too much. The 55 oiling system is not the worst but it is nowhere close to the 330. PP330-3 Husky 55-0.

I am not impressed with the 55 in design or running. My 330 will outrun a 55 (open port, apples to apples) and so far has proven just as durable as the 55.

One of the problems I've seen on the 55 is the base gasket will blow out on these saws. I've had 3-4 saws that have never been apart do this (all seperate saws)

Take it fwiw but I have never been impressed by the 55.

Last edited:
My step father has owned one for about 10 years, I guess. It's a really good firewood saw. I don't think that it's big enough, but it's worked great for him.

Having owned three 330 Poulans briefly, they are an outdated overweight chassis supporting 54cc of engine, IMHO. Not very handy, and no more powerful than a later model Husqvarna 55 Rancher pushing a 20" bar and 3/8" full chisel chain. The 55's are much more agile, and better fit/feel (I think they call that "ergonomics" these days?)

The specifics pro's/con's mentioned are not all completely accurate, but there is no sense starting a pissing match, as everyone has an opinion on things and I try to respect the opinions of others.

As for power production, without a muffler mod the Poulan 330 is a "turd", reminds me of the gutless PM-610's from back in the 70's and 80's.

Even after a muffler mod they don't get loud and really "scream" anyplace, but decent power and on par for 54cc. The torque curve is exceptionally "smooth" and "flat". I suspect the port timing is comprimising the power curve a tad, specifically upper rpm power, but that's just a guess?

The somewhat rare but closed port 55's are smaller in cc's than the later 55's with open tranfers, but quite a bit stronger in the cut.

I did some timed cutting with the muffler modded 330's we had here against my Echo CS-510 (also muffler modded), and stock 55 (closed port), and the Poulan was slower than both of them by quite a margin. The test was comprimised by the 3/8" full chisel chain set-up, as the Echo and Husky used ..325" on 18" bars. For this reason I never posted the results, and I was already being labeled as the Poulan 330 "basher", so I didn't add anymore fuel to the fire.

I still wasn't impressed enough with the 330 to invest in converting it to .325", but it really came around adding a modded Husqvarna small mount 18" bar compared to the 22" set-up they showed up with.

If the idling/off idle issues weren't present with all three Poulan 330's we obtained, I'd have spent some more time with them. They seemed like a solid design, but bulky and heavy for a 54cc saw. I'm sure they do much better with the 60cc upgrade a lot of folks are doing to them.....Cliff

i have been seeing a lot of toasted home-owner class/ farm and ranch saws lately of every make.

my old time husky dealer said he was flooded with um last fall. according to him it was bad gas and insufficient mix combined killing all the saws mostly. along with the common carb/air leaks and what not.

seems some people since gas has become expensive are a bit reluctant to mix a fresh batch. then they pour the last years mix in their saw and viola! a toasty gummy piston and cylinder.:greenchainsaw:

I've come across two 55's in the past couple months... both with toasted pistons. I've also seen LOTS on ebay with the exact same problem. I know that at times someone may screw up and straight gas a saw.... but does everybody that owns a 55 do that?????

Is there a flaw somewhere in these saws thats causing this or is it just the market that these saws are targetted towards is inexperienced???

I don't own a saw shop or anything like that so I'm hoping that some of you that do and have experience with these saws will chime in here with your opinion.

Does this saw burn up more often than any of the others, and WHY??

The 55 is in the same sales area as te 029/290 stihl in my opinion. I do not see many 55's here. But see a ton of the 029/290's. I think there has been lots of both sold over the years. That relates as to why you see so many scored. I have had my hands on 6 029/290s in the last couple of yrs that were cooked. The main flaw with these saws be it the 55's or the 029's is the owner. Be it old gas or not mixed or improper tuning gets them ever time.
Cliff the 55 should be at your place today or tomorrow. I will keep my eye out for the closed ported ones around here.
Bob

Not to beat a dead horse even more dead..... But, the 55 was my first saw ever. At the time, I knew NOTHING about anything.... Not meaning to, I beat that saw to hell and back and the thing although rarely run now, still works like a top.
I think as stated before, most first timers buy this as a "good" firewood homeowner saw, which it is. The problem is, most of those people, which at the time I was one too, don't have any idea about carb adjustments/idle. Which is why you get a bunch or burnt up saws....
In my experience, if your carb settings are good, with good juice in it, it will last a LONG time.. For firewood, not pro use... there are a few sites on the net where there is a lot of info on how to set a carb... :cheers: My .02..

Latest posts

Back