Husqvarna 55's... JUNK?????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my Husky 51 new, right after they replaced the Husky 50.
It has been a great saw, and have worn out 3 bars and many chains.

My son-in-law borrowed it and brought it back a few weeks ago, and didn't say anything about it not running right.
But when I went to use it a few days ago, I noticed when I pulled on the rope the engine would barely turn over.:confused:

I pulled the cover off and seen that the air filter was COMPLETELY clogged up. I took the plug out and pulled on the rope a little more and it started turning over normally. So I put it back together again and it cranked up and ran ok, although I haven't put it in wood yet.

I'm thinking the clogged up air filter caused it to run hot, but hopefully it ran rich and didn't cause any permanent damage (unless he adjusted it lean to compensate). But only time will tell. :angry:

But the bottom line is that it wasn't the saw's fault.
It goes to show that some homeowners, like my SIL, don't know how to maintain and take care of a saw.
And then when the saw fails, they blame the saw. :bang:

ive got one needing rebuilt in the worst kind of way. I dont know if its an open or closed or even how to tell. It runs but its not strong and it was free so i cant complain. Whats a P/C cost a guy?

ive got one needing rebuilt in the worst kind of way. I dont know if its an open or closed or even how to tell. It runs but its not strong and it was free so i cant complain. Whats a P/C cost a guy?

Check the compression 1st, if low you might gwet by with just a $10 ring. If the compression is 140+ check for a clogged up intake or exhaust. Steve

Husqvarna 55

I have one, bought it new about 9 years ago, not burned up yet,
but I have never pushed it that hard. If it acts up I can use the Makita
520 DCS until I find out is what wrong with the Husky. It seems to have
a little more torque, but have to service air cleaner more.

I've talked to a few post cutters and firewood cutters, as well as one repair shop, and they all said the 55 is better than the 455...

the 55 when well cared for, just keeps working, and starting. Whereas the 455 doesn't like the cold much.

I've got a 55, and a few 51's to play with. Sold a 55 to my brother and he loves it!

I've talked to a few post cutters and firewood cutters, as well as one repair shop, and they all said the 55 is better than the 455...

the 55 when well cared for, just keeps working, and starting. Whereas the 455 doesn't like the cold much.

I've got a 55, and a few 51's to play with. Sold a 55 to my brother and he loves it!

JMO...

If you compare the older 55 against today's 455.

The 455 is like a toy with all the darn plastic and much more difficult work on.
And my source say's they are only sold in the big box stores now....BAD
If you see any in a saw shop it's the last you'll see of them.

Yes the 55's have some issues with the intake screws stripping out but that's the only bad issue about it I've seen so far...besides seeing a few with scored P&C's...it happens.

Whats a P/C cost a guy?

Just a bit over $200

That includes the P&C, ring or rings, wrist pin, bearing and circlips. The gasket is extra.

Use the Serial # on the saw to get the right parts....there is alot of versions of it.

Now to look at the impulse system on each, The PP uses the same tried and true separate impulse line that has been around for years and still used by different manufacturers. The 55 on the other had uses wedged type rubber fitting in the cylinder that I can never tell if it right or now. It's not something you can readily see after putting the intake on so you have to vacuum test to make sure. Score is PP-2 Husky-0

I have a 51 (basically the same as a 55). The thing would run lean and had no power. As pointed out at Spike60's GTG by Motomedik the rubber fitting into my cylinder was toast, causing a major air leak. Some 1194 later the problem was fixed and we (actually Motomedik) could tune the thing. She has been running well ever since. Definitely not a good design for the rubber fitting.

It looks like alot of you guys are seeing the same things that I am. The carb srews stripping out is a really bad thing. Probably the cause of many of them burning up.

Also I agree with what alot of you have said about this being a saw that is targeted towards homeowners, alot of them being inexperienced with saw maintenance. Which as we all know well.... You must know a little about before you go start running a saw.

I think that in the right hands these saws will last forever. I guess for that matter that goes for just about any saw, but I guess the point is that knowing your saws maintenace and just how its supposed to run is the key to not burning it up.

It looks like alot of you guys are seeing the same things that I am. The carb srews stripping out is a really bad thing. Probably the cause of many of them burning up.

Also I agree with what alot of you have said about this being a saw that is targeted towards homeowners, alot of them being inexperienced with saw maintenance. Which as we all know well.... You must know a little about before you go start running a saw.

I think that in the right hands these saws will last forever. I guess for that matter that goes for just about any saw, but I guess the point is that knowing your saws maintenace and just how its supposed to run is the key to not burning it up.

Anytime I have one in the shop for a carb job I go ahead and order a new intake system on this saw as I don't feel I can trust the screws to hold the carb down. It's just a piss-poor design.

As I said earlier the PP330 is a much better design and I think saw.

First time homeowners that don't really know what maintenance means.

I was a first time homeowner / chainsaw purchaser 30 years ago, and both my Mac's lasted 30 years. The 320 finally quit this winter but the 610 just keeps cutt'n away. Why? I maintained them as outlined in the owner’s manual.

It's not the first time buyer; it's the people who don't take care of the things they buy = "don't really know what maintenance means."

I will now step down from my soapbox.

:cheers:

I bought my 55 used 3 years ago and it runs like a champ. Took it to a husky dealer right after I bought it to have it checked out just to make sure it was ready to roll. They gave it a clean bill of health and I've been cutting with it ever since. Not a single problem in three years of cutting.
I have a 45 special as well and it runs just as good but idles erratically.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 55.

Latest posts

Back