Husqvarna 570 or stihl 391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
place your vote and tell why??

Pest or Colera? :givebeer:

On the more serious side, the Husky is a Mag cased pro design, but with a smaller engine than the true pro ones, while the Stihl is a plastic cased "homeowner" design from the outset. Both are too heavy for the cc and power.
In this picture, the 365/2165 and the 6400/6401 looks pretty good!

I agree with SawTroll. But to answer your question, I would go with the Husqvarna. IMO, the Husqvarna is a very,very smooth cutting saw.:hmm3grin2orange:

Kinda depends on what you are wanting to do with the saw.

You will find that here there are Husky fans and Stihl fans - even a few with both.

They both run well and when taken care of, will last a very long time.

It boils down to what feels good in your hands, doing the job you want the saw to do.

Hal

I myself am partial to Stihl. I have a good dealer 3 miles from me, so that's a big reason I have Stihl saws. I would suggest you look at dealer network as a large portion of your purchase. If you decide on husky remember your local husky dealer isn't going to like to have to work on your saw that you bought from Lowes or TSC, so buy one from them.

You will find that here there are Husky fans and Stihl fans - even a few with both.

It boils down to what feels good in your hands, doing the job you want the saw to do.

Hal

I agree. Very well put. But also and honestly if you have the funds go with a husqvarna 372xpw or stihl ms 441. And I tell you I have both husqvarna and stihl as you can see in my sig and I truly feel the luckiest man in the world. IMO, Stihl & Husqvarna are the best chainsaw makers in the world. So, for me there's no way I could ever be a brand loyalist because I would never deprive myself of either brand.:cheers:

Hal

Very well said I was brought up on Stihl and that is what I use but I have friends that use husky and others that use Stihl. I have cut with a husky a couple times and they seem like a good built saw. Both brands have their pros and cons it just depends on what u want to use.

I don't think the OP is asking about one brand vs the other, but about the specific two saws he mentioned. And without explaining what his actual needs are, it's kind of hard to answer the question. Plus, those two models are different sized saws, so it's a kind of odd head to head comparison. Not exactly "apples to apples".

But if the intended use is general firewood cutting I'd go with the Stihl. (No, my Husky brethren, I've not lost my marbles) Yes, the 570 is "pro construction", and very smooth like it's big brother the 576. And if you see a lot of big wood, it will outcut the 391. But it's real heavy for what you get, and I figure it's priced somewhat higher than the 391. I don't stock the 570, and no one ever asks for it. It's surrounded by better alternatives in the Husky line up.

well im looking at replaceing my first lerner craftsman 55cc saw and want the best my money can afford there is only $50 diffrence i will be cutting small up to 25 inchs in size about 5 or 6 cord a year i do not care about weight as i will not be using it all day long it will be a 20inch bar that i will be running and am just looking for info and peoples responces to these two products

well im looking at replaceing my first lerner craftsman 55cc saw and want the best my money can afford there is only $50 diffrence i will be cutting small up to 25 inchs in size about 5 or 6 cord a year i do not care about weight as i will not be using it all day long it will be a 20inch bar that i will be running and am just looking for info and peoples responces to these two products

The 391 and take care of it.

Hal

Skip both, and look into a used MS361, or Husky 359.

Your back will thank you, and both will be around for your grand kids to cut with.

The 570 struck me as Heavy, heavy, heavy, smooth, and SLOW!!!!!!!
Probably a good saw though, just nothing I would ENJOY cutting with.
The old Homie XL12 I bought at a pawn shop for a project is just as fast, if not faster.

Havn't run the 391 yet and don't know anyone that would have one. LOL!!

Just sayin'.

Good luck either way.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That makes it sound like the 570 is the better option beween the two listed in post #1, but both will do it just fine....

I wouldn't want either though, that is why I mentioned a couple of options in an earlier post.

Last edited:

Wow! The 391 is within $50 of the 570? I just assumed that it would be a lot cheaper than that. In that case, I wouldn't recommend either of these saws. The Husky is over weight, and they're both over priced.

I'm in Spike's corner

When I post in threads like this I always try to remember, it's not me running the saw, so that said whatever choice you make is just that, yours.

Based on your application I think you're a perfect candidate for the Husky 359. It's a darn good firewood saw period. Set it up with an 18 or 20 inch bar and it will handle your application nicely. I know you said you won't be running it all day so weight is not an issue, but if you spend 1/2 the day limbing a 359 is going to be a lot easier to use than a 570. If the wood is log length in a pile then the bigger saw may make more sense.

The 359 has the added advantage of being less expensive leaving money in the till for other needs and nice to haves.

One other thought, if you prefer a straight handle saw the Jonsered 2159 is the same saw.

If you are set on either the 391 or the 570 I would lean towards the 570 based on the construction.

Take Care

MS 391's on the shelf with 20" is 520$ MSRP

Same price as a MS260

30$ less then the 359

100$ less than the 365

200$ less than the 357xp

250$ less than the 372xp

300$ less than the MS441

The 391 isn't far behind the 70cc strato saws in power from the ones I've run, and around here much cheaper

Last edited:
i just want the better one of the 3 saws
in new zealand the prices are

stihl ms390 $1395

stihl ms391 $1445

Husqvarna 570 $1499

stihl ms381 $1610

stihl ms361 $1700

Stihl ms362 $1750

stihl ms441 about $1840 from the top of my head

i don't want to have to buy another saw for a long time
and it will be used for firewood only i don't want to buy a saw that you cut into a big log and the chain stops because there is not enough power / torque to keep going

Last edited:
mate for $1395 id throw down on a 346xp and not chase such big wood or throw down another $200 i think and pick up a 357xp you back will thank you for it and you have the biggest grin ever, nothing can wipe the smile off my face when im using my 346xp.

in the price point your looking at id pick up a 365, itll spank the pants off a 570.

MS 391's on the shelf with 20" is 520$ MSRP

Same price as a MS260

30$ less then the 359

100$ less than the 365

200$ less than the 357xp

250$ less than the 372xp

300$ less than the MS441

The 391 isn't far behind the 70cc strato saws in power from the ones I've run, and around here much cheaper

Plastic is still cheaper than magnesium, I guess....:cheers:

Back