husqvarna 575/576 strato musings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I don't quite agree with that. The reduced case volume does not effect the amount of fuel/oil mix that is drawing into the case - if anything it improves pumping efficiency and increases it. The amount of mix is only reduced by the reduction in scavenging losses, so maybe 20%. I don't buy that this effects the bottom end, as once the surfaces are coated then additional mix just passes through, and the oil coating the bearings is not going to wear out - you can't expect mix to keep accumulating on the case surfaces.

The main difference is the piston & cylinder walls because of the dry air pulled down through the transfers. Still, the fuel mix passes through there every cycle anyway, and the piston gets cool air pulled across those cavities every cycle, which does not happen in a non strato engine. I think they added those dead end cavities just to accumulate some oil in there that gets smeared over the cylinder walls.

i guess you didn't read what i wrote. i didn't say the mains were suffering, even though in early models there may have been trouble. that supposedly has been improved by special, proprietary bearings, $50 for the pair. i suspect that the weakest point is the piston rings. Even so, i think your model may need some change. a two stroke chainsaw uses what is basically a classic total loss lubrication system. think of the jawa 500cc flat track engine, but instead of dripping out of the bottom into a resevoir, unburned oil gets sprayed out of the muffler. you may be correct on the 20% change in fuel consumption. i've never devised a good way to make a valid measurement. i can say from anecdotal experience, i'm only burning about half the mix that i do with a comparable non-strato saw, say a husky 272 or a makita/dolmar 84cc. so i don't think in terms of coating bearings, i think more in terms of how much oil the engine needs for constant adequate lubrication. if you reduce the amount of available oil by, optimistically, 40% i think you need to pay attention. i've switched to 40:1 mix. it won't hurt my conventional saws but might help the stratos.

on the other hand, another challenge to lubrication does involve the crank and mains. that is the crank stuffers. they are cup shaped and shroud the main bearings unlike a normal engine where the bearings ar fully exposed to the oily vapors flowing thru the crankcase.

and regarding the small case volume, fuel volume seems like it should be a function of swept piston volume, not case volume, though any resister in the circuit will reduce current.

Back