Husqvarna 59 or 357xp????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahung1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in between these two saws and I want to purchase soon! I have a Promac 700 with plently of power but not the easiest to change chain and with manual oiler is not as user friendly as my small husky 51. I'm looking for a in-between those saw and see quite a difference in price of the 59 and the 357xp. Any advise??? I'm worried the 59 doesn't have the power I'm looking for but I like the price. Thanks in advance!! :buttkick:

Mcculloch ProMac 700
Husqvarna 51
1974 Homemade Woodsplitter

I'm in between these two saws and I want to purchase soon! I have a Promac 700 with plently of power but not the easiest to change chain and with manual oiler is not as user friendly as my small husky 51. I'm looking for a in-between those saw and see quite a difference in price of the 59 and the 357xp. Any advise??? I'm worried the 59 doesn't have the power I'm looking for but I like the price. Thanks in advance!! :buttkick:

Mcculloch ProMac 700
Husqvarna 51
1974 Homemade Woodsplitter

Welcome

The 359 is a good saw and just a little info. the 372 is only about 40 dollars more then the 357 and is a lot more saw then the 359 or the 357

Buy the 359 and mod it, it will be way faster than a stock 357. But watch out, the MS361 brigade is coming, I can hear their saws already!

spend the extra 50 bucks and get the 372:
I'm uber happy with mine. It blows my ms360 OUT OF THE WOODS.
husky28bar.jpg

I would recommend the 357xp great mid-sized saw with decent power. I have an 18" bar and chain on mine and it works out very well. The 372xp obviously has more power, but it's also a bit heavier, I honestly find that most of the time I'm grabbing my 357xp instead of my 70 cc saws. Good luck!!

I was in the same problem as you are. I ended up geting the 359 and im happy i did. It has plenty of power even with a 20" bar. Make sure you try and get some other stuff for free like a new chain. You cant go wrong with it!!!

I would recommend the 357xp great mid-sized saw with decent power. I have an 18" bar and chain on mine and it works out very well. The 372xp obviously has more power, but it's also a bit heavier, I honestly find that most of the time I'm grabbing my 357xp instead of my 70 cc saws. Good luck!!

I agree the 357 is a sweet saw but just wanted to point out that the 372 is real close in price and a good bit more bang for the buck.

I agree 100% - the 357XP is a GREAT saw, but stuck in an unappealing price point vs. the 359 and the 372XP. If pricing isn't a major issue, the 357 is a great saw, but the 359 will do pretty much the same work for less $$ or the 372XP will clean its clock for just a few buck$ more. Husky needs to lower the price of the 357, but doubtful if they're listening. I got the MS361 for $40 less than a 357 and love it (of course).

I agree the 357 is a sweet saw but just wanted to point out that the 372 is real close in price and a good bit more bang for the buck.

....and by the time you ditch the CAT muffler on the 359 you'll be another $ 50 closer to the 357! (or 372) I got the 359 and should have gone 357. Made me cranky after I had to buy another muffler!!

JD in PA

you guys must all be cutn hard woods. my 359 with muffler mod pulls my 24" bar wearing the stihl rsc chain very well. but thats cutn soft woods. it takes alot of pushn to slow her down.

i bought the saw used it had the 24" bar on it. i hurridly bought a 20" bar because i figured it would be low on power. that s not the case with mine. it no longer wears the 20". ive done alot of cuttin since getn the saw.
it wears the 24". 24" is so much handier and it flat is a smokn hot saw compared to my muffler modded 310 wearing 25" and the same chain. both the 359 and 310 are rated for the same 3.9 and 4 horse.. 359 handles the long bar much much better.

id buy another.

i think if your willing to spend more then what the 359 costs the only sensable choice would be the 372.

but im a newbi cutn soft woods so things may be difrent on the other side of the world.

good luck. whatever you do you cant go wrong with any of the 3 saws.

Evan

Last edited:
Buy the 359 and mod it, it will be way faster than a stock 357. But watch out, the MS361 brigade is coming, I can hear their saws already!

Sure, the MS361 is the best Husky in the 60cc class, unless the old 262xp counts.........:popcorn: :popcorn: :givebeer:

I take it the auto oiler is not working on the 700? What about looking at the other orange saw!

Thanks for all the posts guys! The oiler had been giving me fits becuase it was getting plugged up with all the crap on these frozen snow covered ash logs! I just want a easier to maintain saw (changing chains,etc...) than what the ProMac 700 is but want similar power. Also, I want the lightest saw I can because I'm not the strongest mf out there either and that Promac wears you down after a long day with it! My husky 51 is a 1997 and lacks the power I need especially now that I put in a Central Boiler 5036! To be honest I haven't even considered the 372xp till some of you started to mention, thanks again!!:clap:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ProMac 700
Husky 51
1951 Disston Da-211 2man chainsaw
Homemade Woodsplitter
Central Boiler 5036

because you hadnt considerd a bigger saw than the 357 59 id recomend the 359 even with the cat muffler it runs good. then later on you can decide if you want more from it. and your a muffler swap away from more power..

but it may be all you need the way it is. my husky catalog says itl run the 24" bar just fine and will scream with shorter bars.

359, 13-24" bar weighs 12.1lb(power head) 3.9hp
372 15-28" bar weighs 13.4lb (power head)5.4hp.

357 13-24" bar weighs 12.lb (power head) 4.4hp

i got my 359 for 250 like new , and theres a nother one at the saw shop not so like new with 225 sticker on it. might be worth lookin for used one. exspecialy if you can get one for half of what a new one goes for and is in good shape.

Cant say much about the 359, never ran one, but as far as the comparison between the 372 and 357, totallly different cutting experience.
The 372 has 1.5 more pounds on it, and if you are looking at a saw to carry around all day its going to make the difference.
I know I run both saws, and the 372 stays in the truck until I run into bigger stuff, then it gets its turn. The 357 does most of the work, I run a 20 inch bar on it and it has done well.
On the 372, I run up to a 28 inch bar,mostly it wears a 24inch.
If you are looking for an all around firewood saw, I dare say you wont find much else that is better than the 357. If you run in big hardwood, then I would definetly say look to the 372.Both are quality saws with enough sack to cut whatever you run across.
Just my two cents worth.

because you hadnt considerd a bigger saw than the 357 59 id recomend the 359 even with the cat muffler it runs good. then later on you can decide if you want more from it. and your a muffler swap away from more power..

but it may be all you need the way it is. my husky catalog says itl run the 24" bar just fine and will scream with shorter bars.

359, 13-24" bar weighs 12.1lb(power head) 3.9hp
372 15-28" bar weighs 13.4lb (power head)5.4hp.

357 13-24" bar weighs 12.lb (power head) 4.4hp

i got my 359 for 250 like new , and theres a nother one at the saw shop not so like new with 225 sticker on it. might be worth lookin for used one. exspecialy if you can get one for half of what a new one goes for and is in good shape.

The true weights are more like 12.8, 13.9 and 12.9 lbs - according to unbiased testing.........

Lots of saws weight more than advertised, including some Stihls, but not the 361 (12.3 lbs).

Last edited:
I have a Husky 51, a 357XP, and a 372XP. I did not set out to collect them, just sort of had to have this one, then a bigger one, and you know the rest.

Anyway, the 357XP is a lot more saw than the 51, especially with 72LGX chain, and could easily be a good "one saw plan"...unless you are cutting 20" trees or hardwood (no experience there). If I had a 51 and wanted a bigger saw, I would have to think hard about skipping over the 357 and getting the 372. Unless you think you would end up with all 3 anyway. :dizzy:

Back