Husqvarna 61 2 part coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul99

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there know of a way to determine which part of a 2 piece ignition coil is faulty without having spare parts to hand? I've been looking at an old Husqvarna 61 with a weak and erratic spark which seems to be just enough to get it to fire but will immediately die.

Each half of the coil is £30 odd and whilst my uncle doesn't mind chucking £30 at it its really not worth spending double that on this saw.

Any advice would be graciously recieved...

Attachments

• 20180703_151142.jpg
    20180703_151142.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 26
i have a 266 and a 61 with twin coils , and had no issue with them but the 61 did have a real weak spark so replaced the plug and boom , away it went , worth removing the coils and check the earth grounds or maybe lots of crud in there fouling up the magnets or the wires coverings degraded and maybe green corrosion the copper wires causing high resistance but it looks quite clean , few variable things there

I had this with a 266 years ago and it turned out to be a chaffed wire , have a real good check of them .

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked closely and cleaned up the wiring, grounding points etc but failed to find anything wrong. I also cleaned up the magnets and ends of the iron core but that didn't help much either.

I came across a few mentions of it usually being the larger module with the two part coils and if I can't track down used parts to check that's was going to be the first piece to replace.

Definitely spark compression is 150psi+ and holds pressure and vacuum.

It's been a while but made some progress with this saw. We finally came across a second good running 61 locally for cheap so snapped it up.

This evening I swapped the front half of the known good coil onto the bad saw (figuring that was the most likely culprit) and away she goes... it runs like a top . Now we know it's just the front half needed an AM part will be ordered ASAP.

It's been a while but made some progress with this saw. We finally came across a second good running 61 locally for cheap so snapped it up.

This evening I swapped the front half of the known good coil onto the bad saw (figuring that was the most likely culprit) and away she goes... it runs like a top . Now we know it's just the front half needed an AM part will be ordered ASAP.
My friend recommends hl supply
Coils made in brazil
He has used many no issue's.
He bought some china one's that worked
But had very weak spark.

Back