Husqvarna 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac B.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was given a 61 the othe day. I am not a Husky guy but this thing looks pretty well built. I am going to clean it up a little and may end up keeping it. I checked the compression tonight and it is at 150 lbs.. The clutch spring is broke so I will have to get one. It came with a straight bar and a bow. It is the one with the metal chain brake handle and the dark grey top. Is this saw worth keeping or is it more of a homeowner saw?? I will get some pics later.

Mac

IMO, these are excellent saws. Just did a major OH on an old white top version. Had a similar 61 in my commercial tree care fleet, and that thing got treated like a rented mule. Ran just fine 'til the day it got stolen. Sounds like the price was right for you, too!

I bought a really nice early model a few years ago with the white top. It's built on a similiar chassis as the 268/272's but with a smaller open port P/C. I found it to be an OK saw, but seriously lacking in power compared to my 268XP. It had power similiar to the old Mac 610 we owned back in the early 1980's. Fuel consumption was heavy for the power, so I decided to put a 268XP top end on it. Best move I made for that saw, it ran like a Husqvarna is supposed to run after the P/C install.

With a little effort one can be upgraded to the 268/272XP top end, if more power is needed. Before the upgrade I found mine to be marginal in power for a 20" bar with 3/8" full chisel in big wood, probably better suited to 16-18" and cutting smaller material......Cliff

If it has 150 PSI, I probably would not change the top end. Having not run a 272xp, you will not miss the extra juice. If it ever starts to give you trouble, you can go to a 50mm 266xp top end that will bolt right on and have some more power. Right now you likely have a 48mm open-port top end. It will probably last forever. These saws have a two-piece ignition that is not uncommon to fail. Other than that, they're tough as nails. here is what I would check:

1. A/V mounts (there are 6) are usually cracked or broken. If they are too loose you'll end up with a hole in the fuel tank or engine.
2. Fuel line and filter. Easy to check and cheap to replace. If there is any question just replace it.
3. Air filter. I have seen some pretty wonky ones on these older saws. If there is any gunk in the carb bore, filter is not working well
4. Clutch side crank seal. While you have the clutch off changing the spring, look at the seal in there. It is very easy to change, since it is in the oil pump. If it looks hard, just replace.
5. Muffler. I have seen several of these with rusted mufflers. Stray exhaust WILL burn through the topcover in short order. Most of the white-tops are missing a louver or two over the muffler already.

Good luck, and congrats on a good saw. Post up some pics already!

I remember reading a post from Magnus. Husky spent more time In R&D on this series than any other series. I have several easy to work on. Very good saw/series. Do the maintenance suggested and you will have a very fine saw. Well worth fixing/keeping. Don't worry about the 2 part ignition AM modules are plentiful now. Not so several years ago when I first started with my 61's-266's. Still don't have a 66 or 162 but I'm on the hunt!!!!
Shep

Thanks for the answers guys, I will try to get some pics today. I had a 51 and it was a wonderful saw, I am just way more familiar with Stihls. I also have a 41 I bought the other day.

Mac

Well built for a non-pro saw, but low in the power to weight department. ;)

Originally (late 1970s) it was a lower priced alternative to the 162SE. Your saw sounds like it is from the mid 1980s.

Last edited:
I remember reading a post from Magnus. Husky spent more time In R&D on this series than any other series. I have several easy to work on. Very good saw/series. Do the maintenance suggested and you will have a very fine saw. Well worth fixing/keeping. Don't worry about the 2 part ignition AM modules are plentiful now. Not so several years ago when I first started with my 61's-266's. Still don't have a 66 or 162 but I'm on the hunt!!!!
Shep

In the late '70's the 162 Husky was my favorite chainsaw. I thought it was a perfect firewood saw at the time. Had that and a 028 Stihl stolen. Was on the hunt for them for a long time.

Not sure why the 61 isn't considered a pro saw, mag case , solid construction, built like my 028 and better than my 034 super, my #1. I'm guessing just a designation to separate models, put a new 48mm p&c on mine, less gasket, and molded the muffler and it pulls a 20 in hardwood easy, but will put a 18 since I have a nodded 372 with a 20 for the bigger stuff. Love them older saw!

I have several 61's there just about bullet proof! the dark grey top is imho more desireable than the rancher white top. I believe the grey top is over 4 hp as to the rancher is 3.7 hp?

Mines a grey top also, open up the air intake hole another 40% to go with my mods, unfortunately I will probably be expanding my husky line now, hmmm, a 50 next maybe...

I have several 61's there just about bullet proof! the dark grey top is imho more desireable than the rancher white top. I believe the grey top is over 4 hp as to the rancher is 3.7 hp?
Grey top was 3.9 hp. The larger orange top on the 268/272 crankcase was 4.1 hp. the white top practica and ranchers were 3.6hp

I have the whole family of these saws including the aniversary 266s and 61s.Great saws my first and only brand new saw was a 162 I bought in Nov 1979.These are great saws the reason the 61 was not a pro saw was it was almost a twin to the 162 but was open ported.Years ago I saw quite a few pro cutters using the 61s.
Kash

I was given a 61 the othe day. I am not a Husky guy but this thing looks pretty well built. I am going to clean it up a little and may end up keeping it. I checked the compression tonight and it is at 150 lbs.. The clutch spring is broke so I will have to get one. It came with a straight bar and a bow. It is the one with the metal chain brake handle and the dark grey top. Is this saw worth keeping or is it more of a homeowner saw?? I will get some pics later.

Mac

A 61 is the first saw I bought, because it was one of our "go-to" saws when I was a firefighter on a rappel crew. They got a lot of use, because we had to cut a helipad for a Bell 205 every time we rappelled in. It's definitely a work saw, although heavy for the power.

I just fixed up one of the older white top 61s for a buddy of mine. It was his dad's saw, and he needed to buck up a couple of big trees that came down on his property.

Do some of these Husky 61 saws have a single guide bar plate ? ( the inner one )

My buddy has a grey top 61 , he was cleaning it when i came by and noticed it had a single bar plate - the inner one with the oiler slot .

Pretty sure the Husky 61 I first used back in 1981 had 2 guide bar plates , it had an orange top . Part is this one ... but somehow looks different than I thought ... going by memory here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bar-Plate-...629401?hash=item33cc0b5f19:g:3WQAAOSw7wVfHzSb

Do some of these Husky 61 saws have a single guide bar plate ? ( the inner one )

My buddy has a grey top 61 , he was cleaning it when i came by and noticed it had a single bar plate - the inner one with the oiler slot .

Pretty sure the Husky 61 I first used back in 1981 had 2 guide bar plates , it had an orange top . Part is this one ... but somehow looks different than I thought ... going by memory here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bar-Plate-...629401?hash=item33cc0b5f19:g:3WQAAOSw7wVfHzSb
Would have been a white top back then (81)...white top (2 piece coil) has a tendency to melt their top covers...

Back