Husqvarna chain sharpening guide opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Reaction score
I’ve been practicing sharpening lately and came across the husky guide with the rollers. Seemed like a good product so I pulled the trigger. I’ve found that the file sits too high and mainly files the the edge of the tooth and not the gullet. Anyone else have any experience with this? I’ll attach two pics, one of the husky sharpening result and one of my handle file. Critique away.
151ABAAC-79F0-4AEC-9CD0-41DB50C0901C.jpeg 3357E7CF-DCFD-4D73-9853-2E3FAD824FB9.jpeg

So you’re saying I should be setting the edge with the husky guide and then going back to clean out the gullet if it’s needed?

The Husky guides have to fit all the way down onto the side plates. I've been using them since the early 80's, still have my original with the hardened steel rollers and no depth gauge. I've found the as issued guides fit some chain a lot better than others. I've had to open the sides of the newer guides a little to fit some chain. If the guide isn't all the way down, it will cut high.

I am not an expert, and am as about as far as can be from one regarding sharpening. I do believe however your chain is not sharpened correctly. The leading edge should be a point not rounded. ** it may be the camera angle that makes it look round, take a shot from the top looking down. ****
I’ve been practicing sharpening lately and came across the husky guide with the rollers. Seemed like a good product so I pulled the trigger. I’ve found that the file sits too high and mainly files the the edge of the tooth and not the gullet. Anyone else have any experience with this? I’ll attach two pics, one of the husky sharpening result and one of my handle file. Critique away.
View attachment 626329 View attachment 626330

I bought one of the Husky roller type sometime back after seeing praises on this site and I have yet to find a chain that it will fit correctly, file is held way too high, but I do not have any Husky saws or chains. I should have took one of my saws with me to the saw shop and checked for a fit before buying the Husky roller type.

It (5/32) looked like it would be good as a out in the woods sharpner, but no go. I touch up chains while in the woods before they get dull.

Ronnie Milsap can see this thing is not correct when placed on the bar/chain.:eek::eek:

I found that it does a good job of setting the top edge and then going back and filing the gullet out it will produce a nice looking tooth. At least what I consider nice looking. I worked on a 3/8s LGX chain last night trying to get it to match a brand new LGX chain I have and I think I achieved it. I did a little experiment, I used a 3/16 file instead of a 7/32, because of its smaller size it sits lower on the tooth. I found with a never sharpened dull chain I could use the husky guide with the 3/16 file and it would quickly sharpen the tooth and take out some gullet. 4-6 passes doing it that way was all it needed, compared to 3-4 with the guide and then another 4-6 to get the gullet out with the 7/32. I do think if the guide sat lower it would work better, and yes it was fully seated, tight fit on a oregon chain.

View attachment 626329 View attachment 626330
It some times depends on the chain make Some have thicker tie straps & the tool does not sit right down to the bottom of the slot a careful look will show what is stopping it going fully down a couple or so swipes with a flat file is the usual cure the closed end of the slot should be fully down on the chain parts

Just bought one of these Husky roller jigs. I run stihl 33rs on my Stihl 661 and 34rs on my Husky 365. So far so good on these chains. Seems to make hand filing much more precise and consistent for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 31
I love the Husky guides, and have 3 different sizes of them, so I use them on all my saws. I don't know if you realize, but you can use it backwards. There is an arrow that is supposed to point to the front of the saw. If you don't have the arrow in the right orientation, it doesn't fit correctly on your chain, and will make the file ride high.

I’ve been using the Husqvarna sharpener for the past 2 years and wow it works great for me. But yes it’s very easy to put the sharpener on incorrectly, the instructions that come with it could definitely be better.
There are some helpful YouTube videos but I haven’t seen one that I personally would rate excellent.

I’ve been using the Husqvarna sharpener for the past 2 years and wow it works great for me. But yes it’s very easy to put the sharpener on incorrectly, the instructions that come with it could definitely be better.
There are some helpful YouTube videos but I haven’t seen one that I personally would rate excellent.

But their are several different makes, about 6 or so of Husky roller guides for different types of chains.
Mine with the 7/32 file will do a good job of sharpening on some chains that are not listed by Husky that it's designed for but takes a careful exam of the file/chain combo first and how the file is sharpening the tooth and gullet.

The instructions that come on the paper card with the new roller guides are little weak.
Here is a you tube video about the Husky file guide and how to use the raker depth gauge and the roller guide.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1E244D7B0BCDE90CF24A1E244D7B0BCDE&FORM=VDMCNR

Here is an example of 6 different Husky roller guide models for different size and types of chains.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1E244D7B0BCDE90CF24A1E244D7B0BCDE&FORM=VDMCNR

Latest posts

Back