husqvarna chainsaw help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham MacDonald

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First, Hello to everybody. have a nice day.

I am trying to find out the Year/Model No: of the old Husqvarna chainsaw I was given from a mate.. So I can get a new C/Head, Piston and Ignition parts and if possible other parts.. There's nothing on the body to tell me which one it is, except for the info below. I think he said the year was 1978 or 1989..

hope somebody can help me.

Numbers on:
Cylinder Head: Mahle 48zd3
there is also a number on it own on: 25

Piston: 515E 089 D

The numbers below are on the electric Housing or Ignition Parts:
Bosh: 0204 003 002 KB1<<< on the housing.
2 204 11033 <<< on the black Ignition coil? with the lead that goes to the S/Plug.
1 237 99 035 <<<on the Capacitor with lead goes to the points... if that's what its called .
2 207 031095 <<<on the Points.

Thanks for the info..
would these no: L65 - 48ZD3 relate to the model of the chainsaw..

I have found this no: 2652071 stamped on a plate riveted to a mail casing which also has 02 69 stamped on it. its riveted right below where the chain bar bolts on..

I think the 48zd3 is relative to the jug, not the saw.

This is the first chainsaw I have owned and I want to get it running and replace some parts. 1: eh" what's the jug referring to. But you are right I think in saying that its a L65, everything is in the right place and the covers seem to be the same.. 2: but what year I don't know... a friend says its 65cc 4cubic inch... 3: what would be the piston size.. 4: does anybody know where I would get a full set of gaskets for it, crankcase gasket was leaking bad.

thanks g

BIG thanks to everybody for your help as it much appreciated. Now I have just got to sus out the gaskets, especially the crankcase one as it's going to be a nasty one to make... Or could I use these gasket compounds they have now, would there be much pressure in the crankcase ..

thanks again all.
graham

"Delete Base Gasket" is what you describe. You may be able to seal the cylinder to the crankcase with gasket maker like Permatex Motoseal or Yamabond or Hondabond....IF the piston doesn't travel too high and make the squish band too narrow. Someone will chime in with a good squish reading for that saw.

Anywhere above .018" or so clearance from piston to the squish band is acceptable. If you had a squish of .040" with cylinder base gasket in place, and your gasket measures .020", by removing it and using yamabond, motoseal, or the like, you'd end up with a squish measurement of .020". But make sure you recheck squish after final assembly.
And no. You need a crankcase gasket in between the halves for bearing/case/crankshaft clearance. There may be other saws that use the same gasket. Idk.

Hello again
Seemingly my chainsaw is a 1978 L65 - 48ZD3 (see pic's below) (1)would this be correct? (2) where would be the best place to get spares.. the piston is a bit scored and new points and the thing that supplies the spark would be good (can't remember it's name) a lead comes out of it to go to the spark plug..

my chainsaw is an exact likeness to this one, but I think my one had a brake at some point..

Husqvarana L65 pic-3.jpg

That old L65 is going to be hard to find parts for as they are NLA from the Husqvarna dealers now. Used parts can be found with some searching and there is always a chance a NOS part comes up on eBay from time to time.

Back