Husqvarna Experts Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valekbrothers

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a chance to pick up a 3120XP from a private party. He has told me that it has been used on a mill. I have only seen pics so far. I plan on looking at it this week, to hear it run.

My question is, judging by the pics, what do you guys think this would be worth?
Thanks for the help,
Chuck
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It looks like it is missing the toggle screw for the air filter cover. Shouldn't be a big deal, but that top plate has a specialized piece of molded plastic on the back which ensures a tight fit with the air filter. I just hope some crud hasn't been getting by the filter as a result.

I paid 800 for one that was next to new a few months ago. I actually see quite a few of them come up on craigslist.

I would say 400-600 max, 600 if and only if the saw runs perfect, with excellent compression, etc. That saw looks pretty beat up for one that spent its life on a mill.

If its life has been on a mill, then its been worked very hard, but if its good mechanically, good compression. Me personally I wouldn't pay more then $500 for one that looks like that.

600 to 700 if it runs good. IMO. Looks like it's in good shape, but very dusty.
Do you know if it has the rev limit coil or not?

If its life has been on a mill, then its been worked very hard, but if its good mechanically, good compression. Me personally I wouldn't pay more then $500 for one that looks like that.

+1. Milling is about the hardest work a saw can do. The only life harder on a saw is being used on a logging landing.

Get a compression test.

I also agree on removing the muffler and inspecting the piston on the exhaust side.

Why is it for sale?

With those big saws, you'd be better paying $600-800 for a really nice one that didn't see much use, vs $300-400 for one that's BEAT. Nothing I know of harder on a saw than a mill. Keep in mind how small the crankshaft and main bearings are in those saws compared to how much bar/chain they are asked to run and the stress they are put under at full speed and full load on a mill?....just thinking out loud....again......Cliff

Update

I want to thank everyone for thier input so far. A lot of points I haven't thought of were brought up.....

Here are the updates I have:
1) He said he scored a deal on a walkerized HQ395, that is why he is selling this one.
2) He thinks he wants around $350 for it. No compression test done on it yet.

Now what does everyone think?

Last edited:
Do you mean he won't let you do a compression test of it or he hasn't done one? If he won't let you don't one then you need to ask him why.

350 is a great price. If it runs it's a steal. But offer him 300 and see if he bites.

Why can't I find deals like this?

Good luck.

Do you mean he won't let you do a compression test of it or he hasn't done one? If he won't let you don't one then you need to ask him why.

350 is a great price. If it runs it's a steal. But offer him 300 and see if he bites.

Why can't I find deals like this?

Good luck.

:agree2: :agree2: :agree2: :cheers: :bowdown:

Sounds like a complete rip off to me. You better give me his phone number so I can chew him out and make sure he doesn't try to steel your money.

Get a compression test.

I also agree on removing the muffler and inspecting the piston on the exhaust side.

Why is it for sale?

With those big saws, you'd be better paying $600-800 for a really nice one that didn't see much use, vs $300-400 for one that's BEAT. Nothing I know of harder on a saw than a mill. Keep in mind how small the crankshaft and main bearings are in those saws compared to how much bar/chain they are asked to run and the stress they are put under at full speed and full load on a mill?....just thinking out loud....again......Cliff
You have made no mention of its age or serial number#.

Back