Husqvarna home arborist needs expertise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't trust a compression gauge.

You need to run it a bunch. Do a hang test. It will get better. Don't tune it fat if you want it to break-in this decade.

If you touched the exhaust roof you lowered compression. 0.005 is three pounds or more. Good rings are priceless. Use Caber or any large OEM manufacturer is good.
Normally wetsanding with 400 is a better process with a 35° angle. It just takes more time. Dingleball hones are the worst thing to use. They follow the bore as it is. Stones, once broke-in, follow the bore overall not the craters. Knocking off the high spots is a far better process to getting a straight bore for new wears to ride on.
Ok thanks. It's got Caber rings and has about 4 tanks through since the work. It's not getting much time in the wood since I got the 038...

One thing you can do is increase the compression by getting a pop-up piston, having the cylinder milled and/or base gasket delete. If it is a stock saw the compression may well be under 100psi at 11000 ft.
The 450 is a clamshell so he won’t be able to do much with it as far as compression upgrades.

Hi I am a home owner that go up to the mountains elevation 11000 ft to xut wood for my Woodstock. I have a husqvarna 450 rancher and it won't start and stay running. Took it to the husqvarna dealer and they said they can't run on no higher than 8000 ft elevation. Is this tru?
450's are great homeowner-grade saws. IF the carb has limiter caps, removing them for a better mixture might help. You also have the option of an older carb, with screws, NIB OEM. They are everywhere, by part #.

If you aren't a mechanic, your other options include:

Pay some local woodsman to cut firewood on your lot, and share it in return for his efforts. Quite routine.
Buy cut wood, delivered, and stacked, a season prior......
Find a small engine mechanic that doesn't use You Tube, and knows more about 2-cycle carburation than the first....
Buy food for tethered beavers...............nobody will hear the trees fall........

Another point is battery saws don't care about altitude. But then you have the inherit limitations of a battery saw.

Latest posts

Back