Husqvarna model 61 ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jym654

Reaction score
Brand new to sight. Awesome resource and great information...I have an older Model 61 practica chainsaw that was given top me by my grandfather. It still cuts awesome-- I can bury the 20 inch bar in dried locust and cuts like butter-- but has began leaking fuel from the top of the tank and the chain brake is broken. The tag reads 1611 073663-- silver Model number tag, metal chain brake handle and white top. If any one can tell me the year I would be very thankful. Seems like the model and serial numbers are hard to to put a date on. Thanks. JYM

Last edited:
1980? have any pics? here are mine.
attachment.php

Yup, good old saws. If you don't want to try to fix the old chainbrake, newer ones from the 61, 266, 268, and 272 should work fine.

Heres mine

Goes well and never lets me down,the real back up saw, mine was made in 1983-it's had a hard life(father inlaw put more hours on it than you can count,and isnt "MR Maintenance") until I got it a couple of years ago.
Just out of course I pulled off the top end for a checkover and it was perfect,its never had any work before,great saws!!
And welome to the site!!:
attachment.php
clap:

Last edited:
Good evening guys, just found this site as I’m looking to overhaul and recondition my fathers practica 61, he had it from new on our farm, but now knocking on the door of 80 himself finds it hard work to start and use,he has given it to me on permanent loan provided I service and maintain it. I learnt how to use a chainsaw on this saw as a teenager, and it still runs as well now as it did then! quite a few bars and chains later though!
I have a couple of questions for anyone who may be able to answer, the saw is the first generation with the white top and metal chain brake handle, however the white top is melted due to the exhaust being cracked and blowing, I have managed to source a new exhaust/muffler, but would like to replace the damaged top cover, I have found a grey cover on eBay, it looks to be of the same dimensions and screw hole locations, does anyone know if it would fit, as I cannot find a replacement white cover.
Also do the later chain brakes from the second generation rancher/practica 61 fit? As the chain brake on this one works in “over pressure” mode ie when you bear down on the main handle, but does not push forward to brake the chain in kickback, looking again on eBay, the dimensions between the early chain brake on my fathers saw and the dimensions listed on the 61 2nd generation saws seems to be the same, I would like to get the saw running (safely) rather than just running and tidy it up a bit, I’m not so worried about originality, but the saw does have a sentimental attachment for me, any help will be appreciated.
Regards Mark

Latest posts

Back