Husqvarna Naming Scheme

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me thinks CD stands for Capacitive Discharge (Electronic Ignition)

You can see where they were trying to go:
2xx= Homeowner/ Plastic Poulan
4xx= Landowner/ Plastic Husky
5xx= Pro/ Mag Husky
But they just can't let the 372 go.

Perhaps this is true with the current line-up.

But we can't "group" the 245, 257, 262, 288, 2100 in the "plastic Poulan" family.

Perhaps this is true with the current line-up.

But we can't "group" the 254, 257, 262, 288, 2100 in the "plastic Poulan" family.

As I said earlier, the numbers have been re-used, in different meanings - there even were a third (actually the first) generation of 2xx saws before most of those you listed, and then it had a third different meaning (actually the 2100 belong to that generation, but "overlap" in time with the next generation of 2xx saws)...:D

Haha I don't have anything against Husqvarna. Just don't have one........yet.

I'm only trying to figure out what I'm looking at when I see one. With Stihl, it's pretty easy. Bigger number, bigger saw. 026, 036, 044, 066, 088, 090 and the same with the MS numbers.

Yup Yup, just like me...I have yet to place a Stihl in my arsenal of tree eating machines:chainsaw:,
though after z71mike perfects his 046 project he will have another 046 to build for me & it will be my first Sthil

....my Pa hardwood backyard forest needs to have the "taste test challenge" my Husky machines vs z71mike's Stihl machines.

May the best saw win :rock:

Haha I don't have anything against Husqvarna. Just don't have one........yet.

I'm only trying to figure out what I'm looking at when I see one. With Stihl, it's pretty easy. Bigger number, bigger saw. 026, 036, 044, 066, 088, 090 and the same with the MS numbers.

With those models, it sort of fits - but not if you include all models....:msp_wink:

An exemple is that the different versions of the 038 would fit in 3 different places on that list, regarding cc.

With those models, it sort of fits - but not if you include all models....:msp_wink:

An exemple is that the different versions of the 038 would fit in 3 different places on that list, regarding cc.

SawTroll please forgive me for my ignorance on the line up of 038 Stihl saws, but could you please educate/share your knowledge on the different 038 models? Are the 3 different versions you mention the saws from the past 3 decades of Stilh 38cc saws?

the stihls have more generally correct rules than the huskys but they're still pretty much a mess.

Under the old 0xx naming scheme, the last 2 digits represent the approximate cubic inch capacity of the saw. Saws ending in odd numbers are homeowner saws and have orange handles. Saws ending in even numbers are pro saws and have white handles. Here's a couple examples;

021 2.1 cubic inch home saw
024 2.54ci pro saw
028 2.9ci pro saw
036 3.75ci pro saw
044 4.31ci pro saw

You get the idea. What you're paying for with a pro saw is generally more power, lighter weight, better materials (more robust), more adjustability and better air filtration. There are plenty of exceptions to the rule here as well.

Under the newer xx0 naming scheme, the first two digits represent approximate engine capacity in cubic inches with the middle number being odds for homeowner, evens for pro. The last digit gets replaced with a 1 for newer saws so the model transition was, say, 036 became 360 became 361 (newer, heavier, less powerful, flippy caps etc) then 362.

There are a couple of exceptions to every rule of course. The 311 is the old 310, which was the old 031. Really ought to be a homeowner saw with that number, and it did start out life as an orange handle, but its a pro saw now with a white handle.

Like a lot of stihl fans I dread the day when '0' series saws are replaced with '1' series. They recently discontinued the 200T and replaced it with 201T. I'm desperately chasing a backup 200T for when mine dies. They day they stop the 660 and start on the 661 I think I'll just add a little arsenic to my beer. We've already lost 440 to 441.

the 038/380/381 series is one of the most confusing models in the stihl lineup. A few other saws did have similar variations with bas models, supers and magnums but not to this extent. There were a lot of variations in the name, but only 3 basic engines. Most with 038, 038AV etc were 61cc (3.7ci) then there were 038 supers which were 67cc and then 038 magnums were 72cc (same size as an 044). 380's and 381's are 72cc. The engine cases and complete saw design are different on the different variations of this saw. Theoretically the 038 magnum and 044 shouldnt have much between them, but the 038 is heavier, slower and generally just not as sweet. They sell for a lot less, generally havent been used as much and are quite a good saw though. I've never owned one but I've used a few.

Shaun

the stihls have more generally correct rules than the huskys but they're still pretty much a mess.

Under the old 0xx naming scheme, the last 2 digits represent the approximate cubic inch capacity of the saw. Saws ending in odd numbers are homeowner saws and have orange handles. Saws ending in even numbers are pro saws and have white handles. Here's a couple examples;

021 2.1 cubic inch home saw
024 2.54ci pro saw
028 2.9ci pro saw
036 3.75ci pro saw
044 4.31ci pro saw

You get the idea. What you're paying for with a pro saw is generally more power, lighter weight, better materials (more robust), more adjustability and better air filtration. There are plenty of exceptions to the rule here as well.

Under the newer xx0 naming scheme, the first two digits represent approximate engine capacity in cubic inches with the middle number being odds for homeowner, evens for pro. The last digit gets replaced with a 1 for newer saws so the model transition was, say, 036 became 360 became 361 (newer, heavier, less powerful, flippy caps etc) then 362.

There are a couple of exceptions to every rule of course. The 311 is the old 310, which was the old 031. Really ought to be a homeowner saw with that number, and it did start out life as an orange handle, but its a pro saw now with a white handle.

Shaun

There simply are too many exceptions to all those "rules" - and you are quite far off regarding the 031, 310 and 311.
The 310 is totally different from the 031, and the 311 is a totally new design again - and far from a pro saw.
You also are wrong about the 361 being heavier and having less power than the 036/360 - but it does nave less cc.....

You are right about the 038 etc. It is the magnum that have a different case - the 61cc ones can use the 67cc top end, but none of them can take the 72cc one.

Last edited:
SawTroll please forgive me for my ignorance on the line up of 038 Stihl saws, but could you please educate/share your knowledge on the different 038 models? Are the 3 different versions you mention the saws from the past 3 decades of Stilh 38cc saws?

See the above two posts, they will get you close - and about 3 decades is correct, included the 380/381.....

These saws are outdated anyway, but still have their fans (mostly the 72cc ones - the MS381 still is a current model on some markets).

Thanks OP. I was just about to post *exactly* the same question. I was considering buying a 288XP that was offered locally and realized I didn't understand Husqvarna's numbering scheme, specifically as regards that first digit. It seems that the meaning of that digit is not always clear. Thanks SawTroll.

the smaller the first number the older the saw the new saws start with 5 now

Except for the 372 XP "XT" model, which Husqvarna is apparently ashamed of, since it is not on their website.

The numbers are basically meaningless. There are some general guidelines, but there's exceptions to every one. For example, 5xx series saws are all pro strato saws, but not all pro strato saws are 5xx series (372 XP XT).

If they keep the numbering scheme confusing, it's easier for salesmen to con unsuspecting suckers who stumble into their showrooms. "Oh, that ones a "casual use pro saw", it's the same as the pro saws but specially designed to sit in a garage for months with old fuel it!" A bogus number scheme also makes it harder to compare saws and prices between different dealers, or box stores and dealers. Unless a buyer writes everything down, he won't remember all the numbers unless he's researched his saws before hand, which most people don't do. He's more dependent upon the salesman for knowledge.

Except for the 372 XP "XT" model, which Husqvarna is apparently ashamed of, since it is not on their website.

The numbers are basically meaningless. There are some general guidelines, but there's exceptions to every one. For example, 5xx series saws are all pro strato saws, but not all pro strato saws are 5xx series (372 XP XT).

If they keep the numbering scheme confusing, it's easier for salesmen to con unsuspecting suckers who stumble into their showrooms. "Oh, that ones a "casual use pro saw", it's the same as the pro saws but specially designed to sit in a garage for months with old fuel it!" A bogus number scheme also makes it harder to compare saws and prices between different dealers, or box stores and dealers. Unless a buyer writes everything down, he won't remember all the numbers unless he's researched his saws before hand, which most people don't do. He's more dependent upon the salesman for knowledge.

So why Tundra, Titan, Tacoma, Frontier, Silverado.... LS, LT, XLT, XL, Lariat, SE, Type R, EX.....

Models are models. None make sense. They're just another name for what it is. We know the 372 as a 372, no different than calling it Thor's Hammer, or Ol' Bessie :smile2: They're not just names for salesmen, at least OPE companies have names somewhat resembling the equipment they're stuck to.

I wish there was a clear definition of why things are the way they are. But taking just a glance at the Husky website I can pretty much get what the saw models represent. Stihl, I still got no clue. So a 261 is better than a 290? But a 362 is better than a 261? I thought lower numbers... well... I dunno? What does the number mean? We could do this all day long.

There's some truth to that, but it is certainly possible to come up with a logical naming scheme. The engineers would probably love it, marketing, not so much. I want to make it clear though that I don't mean to imply that all dealers and salesmen are out to confuse and cheat customers, that's not at all the case. But someone at some point did make a deliberate decision to use a confusing name scheme for their saws, this has to be true because it would be easier to use a sensible scheme. Confusion isn't a natural state of mind for engineers, they don't say, "finally, our 60cc saw is completed! We shall use "62" in the name, or maybe "55", because those numbers feel like 60!"

Model numbers that make sense

Fear not all, for there is a light at the end of this tunnel... and that light is Dolmar.

PS3410TH, PS350, PS420, PS510, PS5105, PS6400, PS7300, PS7900 and PS9010

Simple. Elegant. Model numbers that even denote engine size. Even the serial numbers indicate year and month of manufacture.

Speaking in generalities the first number in the model would be the series, IE 1,2,3,4,5 and the following numbers would be the displacement, or close to it. Such as 3120, 372, 272, 576 and so on. SE stands for special edition, XP is for Xtra Power and I believe x-torq designates it being a strato type saw, please correct if wrong.
Chris
This is not correct.
In beginning when this was implemented it was on the 140 series saws that ended with 444
The 140S was first with this and the S should stand for Super if I remember correct.
The "E" was added as 240 came in picture with Electronic ignition.
There was 240S with points, 240SE without and 240SG with generator for heated handles.
The 344 had another version called FE. It was with Nord feller attachment.
40 and 44 were farmer grade saws in same family called Praktica. There was a 240 praktica too at one point.
444 Had no "S" and SE/SG/FE/FG that ended this series.
i know 1 thing,, its hard to believe poulan and husqvarna is the same company now,, i never thought husqvarna would stoop that low

i know 1 thing,, its hard to believe poulan and husqvarna is the same company now,, i never thought husqvarna would stoop that low
Husqvarna as it was pre elux is gone. Not it adoped the old name as it has good reputation, but that is it.
Husqvarna as it was is gone, swallowed by Electrolux.
Elux calls the shots.

Me thinks CD stands for Capacitive Discharge (Electronic Ignition)

This is correct.

Latest posts

Back