Husqvarna to manufacture chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have heard Husqvarna is going to start manufacturing chain rather that rebadging the stuff they have yet. Anybody know anything about this?

http://rermag.com/supply-side/husqvarna-invest-us-159-million-chainsaw-production-facility
From the article:

Husqvarna Group this week said it will invest in a new production facility for manufacturing of chainsaw chains in Huskvarna, Sweden, where the Group already manufactures professional chainsaws, brush cutters and trimmers. The Group will also invest in expanded capacity for manufacturing of cylinders for two-stroke engines for chainsaws in its facilities in Nashville, Tenn., and in Huskvarna, Sweden.

Interesting development. The end result of the added competition will likely be a "Good" thing for us consumers.
I'm sure Husqvarna is/was a major account for Blount.

I will pick a few quotes from the article
"we will leverage our technical expertise to develop, design and manufacture chains, thus optimizing the full performance of the chainsaw." That would be good news for everyone (user) unless they plan on making some sort of new pitch stuff.

"The investments will amount to around SEK 1 billion (about U.S. $159 million) between 2013 and 2015." Does this mean Sweden didn't join the euro (currency)?

I think it's okay as long as they make good quality stuff. It's a good sign that they are not simply importing chain from China.

Husqvarna sells a lot of OEM chain just with their saws, so it's probably a significant margin.

Bad news for Blount. And bad news for STIHL who can no longer claim to be the only saw manufacturer who makes their own chain.

We will have to see if it ends up being similar chain made under license, or if they have something unique to offer.

Philbert

There is no price difference between Oregon and Stihl chain here, and I still prefere Oregon to Stihl, at least with chisel chain in .325 and 3/8".

Over here in most areas Oregon is significantly cheaper than Stihl. If you buy rolls and shop, the Stihl chain is more reasonable in price.

If I were to speculate on a marketing strategy. If they are going to try and gain market share rather than just supply chains for the saws they make. I would think for a period of time after introduction some promotions would be made with price in mind in order to sway the consumer. Many consumers are pretty brand loyal and price is the only thing that will erode this factor.

I think this is a great thing for us consumers. Husky has been really doing a great job with their saws lately, IMO as a Stihl guy, and I'm anxious to see what their engineers bring to the table for saw chain.

I think this is a great thing for us consumers. Husky has been really doing a great job with their saws lately, IMO as a Stihl guy, and I'm anxious to see what their engineers bring to the table for saw chain.

What patents do they hold for saw chain, or who did they buy lately?

What patents do they hold for saw chain, or who did they buy lately?

Oh I'm sure they have some, one way or another.

One thing is for sure, when Electrolux bought Pioneer back in the 80's it was thought that the debt ridden companies one asset that was worth it was that fact they had the patents, tools and machinery to manufacture there own bars and chains. It also is a wonder why they never seemed to use that part of the Pioneer company to do just that.

Since Husqvarna is going to supply the saws they make with this chain, I can't imagine they are going to put a garbage chain on it.

I hope they come out with some good chain and don't distribute it to the big box stores.

I hope they come out with some good chain and don't distribute it to the big box stores.

Just curious, why don't you want to see it sold in big box stores if the consumer grade Huskies are sold there? Seems like it would be foolish to not sell chain where you sell your saws. Homeowners go through a lot of chain since many don't/can't sharpen it themselves.

Back