Huztl/Farmertec clone chainsaws are ****

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill say this...i remove alot of blown up Hondas on Dirt packers plates, power washers, commercial tillers, and i always give the range of replacement options from Oem Honda...briggs...clone. Ive had briggs fail terminally out the box. Ive had Hondas refuse to start due to faulty low oil switches and a couple valve issues. But ive yet to have a single clone fail to start and run out the box. One i know they wired the governor wide open and ran it on valve float for months on a wacker packer. It finally broke a keeper and dropped the valve. I pulled the head...valve was...just tweaked...it cleaned up on the valve grinder. New keeper..and off it goes.

Admittedly...the earliest clones were poorly balanced and poorly built. But the last 10 years they have stepped up their game

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

But not a one of them was two stroke- or a chainsaw?

Interesting reading. This reminds me of my trip to my local Stihl dealer to buy a replacement for my now tired Homelite XL. The dealer asked if I was purchasing or replacing a saw, and then asked what brand saw I was replacing. When I told him, he got a look on his face like he smelled something bad and commented that "everyone knows that Homelite saws are throw away items at best." I asked him if my MS211 would be running in 46 years like my XL that just died, or would it outlive my XL-12 that is still running strong but is 4 or 5 years older than the XL?

He got a blank look on his face and began with the excuses that the new saws are more "technologically advanced" than the old "primitive" units and therefore won't last as long.

Interesting reading. This reminds me of my trip to my local Stihl dealer to buy a replacement for my now tired Homelite XL. The dealer asked if I was purchasing or replacing a saw, and then asked what brand saw I was replacing. When I told him, he got a look on his face like he smelled something bad and commented that "everyone knows that Homelite saws are throw away items at best." I asked him if my MS211 would be running in 46 years like my XL that just died, or would it outlive my XL-12 that is still running strong but is 4 or 5 years older than the XL?

He got a blank look on his face and began with the excuses that the new saws are more "technologically advanced" than the old "primitive" units and therefore won't last as long.

I hope you left right after that conversation. Old mac's and homelites in decent condition are a dime a dozen on eBay. There will be old Homelite xl's around long after a Ms 211 has died and been recycled.

I have an old homelite zip saw that runs fine, but I wouldn’t want to cut with it every day, or even for an hr! I also have a 20 yr old Husky 350 that’s got a new- used OEM top end on it thats my go to everyday saw, paid $40 bucks for it with a scorched top end on it. Altogether, I own at least a dozen working saws, one for each job at least.

[/QUOTE]
I hope you left right after that conversation. Old mac's and homelites in decent condition are a dime a dozen on eBay. There will be old Homelite xl's around long after a Ms 211 has died and been recycled.
This conversation was preceded by the salesman telling me that the MS211 was the same price with a 16 or 18 inch bar (it came with an 18), even tho the difference between the two bar and chain sets were about $18 according to the parts for sale on his shelves. I took the saw with the 18 inch bar, bought a pro roller nose Oregon bar and three Oregon pro chains off of fleabay. My neighbor bought my 18 inch Stihl bar and chain for the price of my Ebay bar and chains and I have the saw that I wanted.

There is a lot to be said for vibration insulation on new saws, along with auto oiling and general higher horsepower in smaller packages. That is where the thrill of new saws ends. (for me, anyhow). I would not say that the Stihl dealer and I are friends, but I have lost no sleep over that....

This conversation was preceded by the salesman telling me that the MS211 was the same price with a 16 or 18 inch bar (it came with an 18), even tho the difference between the two bar and chain sets were about $18 according to the parts for sale on his shelves. I took the saw with the 18 inch bar, bought a pro roller nose Oregon bar and three Oregon pro chains off of fleabay. My neighbor bought my 18 inch Stihl bar and chain for the price of my Ebay bar and chains and I have the saw that I wanted.

There is a lot to be said for vibration insulation on new saws, along with auto oiling and general higher horsepower in smaller packages. That is where the thrill of new saws ends. (for me, anyhow). I would not say that the Stihl dealer and I are friends, but I have lost no sleep over that....
[/QUOTE]
A shelf full of saws is your answer. The old tractors are fun to run now and then.

In all honesty, if I could have found a new in box Homelite XL saw I would have been just as happy. The XL handles limbing and small trees and the XL-12 handles anything larger. My marathon cutting days are in the rear view mirror. I cut mostly from storm damage (the Derecho a few years back was the most cutting that I've done in a while.)

Latest posts

Back