Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was kinda wondering about what you said about a bunch of Chinese companies all operating under one umbrella but different brand names. I've noticed a few coincidences when buying on ebay..a lot of the little companies sell Farmer Tech products.
Shoot. Just the name 'Hutzl' is spelled half a dozen ways on this site. Imagine how confused the Chinese are about who we are talking about!

Philbert

How is the quality of the newer kits say after Oct Nov time frame. Have read other places that quality, is going down.

thats why i retracted my statement.

absolutely the kits are not the same. the chinese have read this forum and others and it went to their heads. i heard people talk versions of this kit and that alarmed me because how can you have a clone and it not be almost an exact copy, so there should not be versions. then i saw a friend's most recent batch of parts and that sewed it up for me. i came right back here and changed my statement.

i have some additional alarming information that i will share soon. why i am not blabbing is i have contacted companies and consulted my friends and have asked for advice and in the case of the companies clarification. but its a stunner. i am going to wait on them. i will fill you in.

i would move slowly unless you are committed to more work and expense than in the past.

Like demand got high and quality went low? I've seen that before. Get the parts quick by any means necessary mentality. I Hope not

How is the quality of the newer kits say after Oct Nov time frame. Have read other places that quality, is going down.
I used to work in a large factory, name omitted, that ran quality products with quality parts as long as things were going smoothly but when they were low on parts they might accidentally dip into the parts that didn't quite pass inspection.

Huztl tours. Can you imagine? No need for an employee break room. Photos of Americans with bullseye's on their wallets hanging on the wall.

I received my kit late December. After reading all the threads, I knew this was going to be a challenge and I was up for it. I have access to a machine shop and also purchased some of the necessary tools including a pressure / vacuum tester. One really needs to take a go slow and double check everything approach. I would say the cases were decent, the cylinder needed a good deburring. The squish with gasket ended up at around .055. I milled off .025 off the base of the cylinder for a final squish of .021. Most of the issues I found had already been addressed. I think they improved the chain tentioner as far as not needing any brass tube to shim the end of the gear shaft. The materials are still low quality, but with some grease and running it back and forth a few times seem to help. My carburetor, the high speed needle was bent and I needed to straighten it. The clutch cover had at least .045 of run-out, got it down to .015. The chain bar studs were a miss match and one nut the threads were messed up, ordered two studs and nuts. The chain brake handle hits the muffler before it engages, needed to perform some "Redneck Engineering" to fix that. The plastic elbow that connects the fuel line to the tank line had flash in the tube so no fuel would come thru. Oil caps leaks, No heat foil or brass inserts for the top cover were included. Overall, no regrets! It has been a fun learning experience for the money spent and I feel I have a decent weekend warrior 7.0 hp saw .

I had a problem with the kits I built running a 32 and 36" bar. When I would bury the bar the clutch would start slipping. The engine would say reved up but the chain would stop. That's a problem this saw should run that size bar. The problem was the clutch springs. In a 1mm stretch test the AM springs took about 4.5lbs more to stretch than OEM. Not a Scientific test but was good enough for me.

I had a problem with the kits I built running a 32 and 36" bar. When I would bury the bar the clutch would start slipping. The engine would say reved up but the chain would stop. That's a problem this saw should run that size bar. The problem was the clutch springs. In a 1mm stretch test the AM springs took about 4.5lbs more to stretch than OEM. Not a Scientific test but was good enough for me.
Scientific enough. Most of the saws I've had have the springs too weak, chain turns at idle..

On your 660 kits the springs seemed weak? Mine was on the other end of the scale. I noticed when I first started using it it took a little more rpm to get the chain spinning. It doesn't matter on a oem Stihl if it's a ms170 or 660 the clutch engages about the same rpm and these were way higher than I'm use to and noticed it first off.

Back