Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I was measuring the gap at the outer bearing race. I couldn't center the crank in the case because the PTO bearing was a bit proud of the inside case wall. Now I'm wondering if I needed to adjust the bearing instead. Well, I already filed the crank a bit to get it to spin.

Attachments

• filed crank.jpg
    filed crank.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
It looks like you have plenty of room on the left side for it to go.

Well I just joined the MS660 club last month. Looks like everyone was having so much fun with these I just had to pull the trigger on a kit. Placed my order the beginning of December and it showed up crazy fast, less than 10 days. It was a fun indoor winter project putting it together. The big Huskies from this period are easier to work on but it was fun learning a new saw "puzzle". I took my time and tried to be fairly precise ( former aircraft mechanic so I like to do things right). As many people who have received the newest kits there were some clearance issues with the chain break handle, muffler, and internal stop by the clutch. I did some file work to clearance these parts. On closer examination I noticed the top edge of the muffler seemed like it could be bent down with a few taps of a hammer and issue is fixed. I didn't notice anyone mention but my kit was shipped with a dual port muffler set up just like the Stihl dual port. Maybe the old single port would fit better. The muffler baffles got a couple 7/16 holes to flow better and I left the dual port cover as shipped. It sounds pretty dang mean. Rest of the parts looked like fairly good copies no real issues. I just slightly cleaned up the cylinder ports. Assembled with out the base gasket squish right around .023". Using the Hutzl chain adjuster and the new case haves seemed fairly tight where the parts insert. No room for any bushing material. I loaded the gears with white lithium grease and worked them back and forth a couple dozen times and it works good enough for the girls I run around with.

Anyway these 660's can sure cut some wood. I fitted it with a little 20" bar for now and a 8 pin sprocket. Cuts thru frozen green ponderosa pine like butter. But boy it's a workout lugging this beast around at 9,000'. My 72cc husky feels like a toy after running the 660. For most everything I cut a 70cc class saw is plenty but I've got a project latter this year cutting up a huge dead cottonwood and this 660 is gonna make easy work of it. Hope you all enjoy the pics:

IMG_1785.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

He claimed .020 on each side. I want to say mine was around mid .035 centered
Yup mine was .037" centered.

Well I just joined the MS660 club last month. Looks like everyone was having so much fun with these I just had to pull the trigger on a kit. Placed my order the beginning of December and it showed up crazy fast, less than 10 days. It was a fun indoor winter project putting it together. The big Huskies from this period are easier to work on but it was fun learning a new saw "puzzle". I took my time and tried to be fairly precise ( former aircraft mechanic so I like to do things right). As many people who have received the newest kits there were some clearance issues with the chain break handle, muffler, and internal stop by the clutch. I did some file work to clearance these parts. On closer examination I noticed the top edge of the muffler seemed like it could be bent down with a few taps of a hammer and issue is fixed. I didn't notice anyone mention but my kit was shipped with a dual port muffler set up just like the Stihl dual port. Maybe the old single port would fit better. The muffler baffles got a couple 7/16 holes to flow better and I left the dual port cover as shipped. It sounds pretty dang mean. Rest of the parts looked like fairly good copies no real issues. I just slightly cleaned up the cylinder ports. Assebeled with out the base gasket squish right around .023". Using the Hutzl chain adjuster and the new case haves seemed fairly tight where the parts insert. No room for any bushing material. I loaded the gears with white lithium grease and worked them back and forth a couple dozen times and it works good enough for the girls I run around with.

Anyway these 660's can sure cut some wood. I fitted it with a little 20" bar for now and a 8 pin sprocket. Cuts thru frozen green ponderosa pine like butter. But boy it's a workout lugging this beast around at 9,000'. My 72cc husky feels like a toy after running the 660. For most everything I cut a 70cc class saw is plenty but I've got a project latter this year cutting up a huge dead cottonwood and this 660 is gonna make easy work of it. Hope you all enjoy the pics:

View attachment 554829

View attachment 554830

View attachment 554831

Lookin good! Got the same muffler, but I completely gutted it. Looks like it had no trouble with that Pine. You must be out West with those kinds of elevation. Jealous of the snow it looks like youve got. My poor sleds havent even moved this year :(

I gutted it also
242e78636c45ae0cd192c43e32f81322.jpg

Excellent real world test. Keep us up to date on how it does. [emoji106]great work

Frag88 how do you like the factory clutch springs over AM? Didn't you break the AM last week

Back