Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shaved off some metal from the base of the cylinder. I am going to take a little more off and put it together with a base gasket and dirko. I am getting 27 thousandths at the exhaust port side and 29 everywhere else. I'll just ride out with it. And see how it holds up.

Engine Is together

tomorrow I'll put on the plastic pieces / rubber and handles carb etc I Should Have it running tomorrow

My build is complete... I swapped out a couple of parts :

Stihl Chain brake dog bone linkage (not sure what to call it) - with the stihl one the chain brake works fine...
Carber rings
Stihl wrist pin snap ring
Stihl MS660 decompression Valve
Hyway MS660 gasket set

I built it without a base gasket as my squish without one was about .02...

this was my first chainsaw build... the only thing that doesn't work is that I can move the lever to the off position... which seems somewhat common... anyone get there's working?

All strapped into the Alaskan sawmill. Hoping to mill some hardwood in the next couple days. I'm trying a brand new granberg ripping chain on a 32in bar. We will see how it does compared to my MS660 with the huztl big bore.
903a0ab28919ceaffb5c392df6420c39.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

this was my first chainsaw build... the only thing that doesn't work is that I can move the lever to the off position... which seems somewhat common... anyone get there's working?

Welcome to the club. I just got a handle to complete another saw. My throttle is perfect, not so before. Is that what you mean as lever to the off position?

All strapped into the Alaskan sawmill. Hoping to mill some hardwood in the next couple days. I'm trying a brand new granberg ripping chain on a 32in bar. We will see how it does compared to my MS660 with the huztl big bore.
903a0ab28919ceaffb5c392df6420c39.jpg

You got it broke in? You gonna have fun

Welcome to the club. I just got a handle to complete another saw. My throttle is perfect, not so before. Is that what you mean as lever to the off position?

I can move the lever to full choke and run but not to the off position... throttle linkage worked fine...

I can move the lever to full choke and run but not to the off position... throttle linkage worked fine...

Look carefully at how the metal leaf-spring contact travels when the lever is operated. Mine came with the metal leaf-spring contact travelling under the rotating lever instead of over it. Did the same thing yours is doing before I fixed it.

Three tanks thru it so far. Some say to break them in the way you are going to run them. I'm going to fatten the tune up to 13000 and let it eat.

Have fun. It's been so hot I have not done any milling. Looking forward to it easing some.

Have fun. It's been so hot I have not done any milling. Looking forward to it easing some.
It's been a wet summer here. It has rained just about everyday this summer. Hope to get my sawmill done once we're are done with firewood. Then I will be working the saws. I have a timberframe shed I want to build next summer of everything works out.

On mine. I put my bar studs backwards sadly. :(

For the record.
The saw I built had dinged up gasket surface on the cases. The crank had a bad cast job with bubbles on one lobe . And the cylinder fins were bent. But it runs. Lol

Honestly I don't think that these aftermarket recoils can withstand the compression. That's why I ordered a replacement decompression valve. The little cap on mine fell off after the saw got warm. I am trying the metal cap forester one for 12 dollars shipped.

You might be able to center tap a screw hole into the middle of the decompression button and screw the cap onto the shaft with a tiny screw.

Mine was that way...I put a very light coat of grease on things where they contact/slide...much better now

thanks... I give it a try... I was thinking of rounding the edge the contact spring has to go over in order to get to the off position... taking a little bit off there the make it easier for the spring to move up the rise there...

thanks... I give it a try... I was thinking of rounding the edge the contact spring has to go over in order to get to the off position... taking a little bit off there the make it easier for the spring to move up the rise there...
The spring maybe should not be messed with just the position of the spring if it's not on the correct place. Can you get a good pic?

Latest posts

Back