hybred poplar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djkost

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone use this for burning and if so how's it for heat.

They're a cross between poplar and willow - so I'm guessing they don't put out much heat per cord, but they grow like weeds so you can make up for it in volume.

I cut down about a 60 footer for a older guy and split it in November. He has one more to cut down and was wondering what it burnt like. I know it is a soft wood so it might work when temps get above 0. Does it burn good or is it dirty. It looks like nice white wood.

I usually burn about 4 cords of seasoned hybrid poplar a year in an airtight Quadrafire 5700 stove, burns cleanly with a moderate to generous amount of residual ash. The glass in my stove door stays cleaner with hybrid poplar than burning with other wood species. Pound for pound when dry, it releases about the same energy as other hardwoods, but since it usually has a dry density of about 23 lbs/cubic foot, it burns quickly. I usually don't split very small pieces.

Hybrid poplar is a cross between two types of poplar, for example known varieties of Populus Deltoides and Populus Nigra (a DxN cross) or Populus Tricocarpa and Populus Deltoides (a TxD cross), etc. Poplars have been hybridized for many decades and there are quite a few clones in existance which have a unique name like "15-29" or "op-367" etc.

Like native Poplars and Aspens, hybrid poplar can have a high moisture content when first cut. Where I am located, I let it dry for a year. I like it because the trees grow about 10' per year in height, unfertilized, and provide me an abundant source of fiber for firewood and utility grade sawtimber.

Ya when I cut it down itit was very wet. He has one more to take down so I"ll take it when it warms up.

+1 on that, dropped 2 last winter and did not have time to get them out till last weekend, tops are still in good shape but the trunks are real punky already. Good thing it's marked for the fire pit.

Does it burn hotter then ash or oak? HHow long would it burn compared to the 2 ii mentioned

Sounds like it burns just like the tulip poplar around here.

I don't cover my wood, I let it sit out in elements to dry so hope what I cut doesn't rot.

Hybrid poplar grows unbelievably fast. When I planted this the catalog said, "grow your own firewood". I though right.

This tree being cut is 21 years old and measured 40 x 48" on the stump.

23vetc1.jpg

2dv0fvp.jpg

Latest posts

Back