Hybrid 440/460 question and advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLEfreak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have an 038 mag, and have been keeping an eye out for a 044/440 at a decent price for a little less weight. I found a guy near the Mansfield area of Ohio with a 440 that has been hybridized with ported 460 p&c. Needless to say the prospect has my crank assembly fully torqued given that I just finished reading Brad's build thread on this particular subject. However... he said he bought the saw that way and has never had any problems with it.

So, my questions are as follows:

1. Is there anybody here in the mid Ohio area that has built a hybrid and sold it, just in the off chance this was a site member build.

2. Assuming it's in good shape(pictures seem to indicate that it is) what would be a fair price?

3. If the p&c ever went the way of Hiroshima, is it as simple as throwing on a new 460 p&c?

Thanks for the help ahead of time!
-Steve

I have a hybrid and its a very fun saw to run run a 18 or 20 in bar 8 pin and have at it run good mix and oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want this saw, but don't want to make a bad purchase. Guy says he bought last September and has used it just about every weekend. Just want to see what guys around here think it's worth, and what to look for prior to purchase. I have never looked at a hybrid before. Seems like a great balance between weight and power.

They are great saws but not a direct bolt on if you fry a cylinder. There is quit a bit of machine work and clearencing to be done on a 46 cylinder.
It would be nice to know who the builder was just for knowledge. They would probably fill in details if you were to contact them.

So it seems like it's a fairly safe hybrid, and I would think I have the ability to do a little machine work if necessary. Than you guys for responding. My biggest question is what would be a good price for this saw assuming the compression is good? Tough to judge for me because it's not a stock saw. At this point he is asking $630, but it's a haul and a half for me to get to him and I told him(jokingly) it would take a hell of a discount for me to drive there. He told me to make him an offer. First number that jumped into my head was $450, but I have no idea if that's a good number. Thanks again for all the help.

So it seems like it's a fairly safe hybrid, and I would think I have the ability to do a little machine work if necessary. Than you guys for responding. My biggest question is what would be a good price for this saw assuming the compression is good? Tough to judge for me because it's not a stock saw. At this point he is asking $630, but it's a haul and a half for me to get to him and I told him(jokingly) it would take a hell of a discount for me to drive there. He told me to make him an offer. First number that jumped into my head was $450, but I have no idea if that's a good number. Thanks again for all the help.
A ported 460 top is 450-500 alone ,300 for porting,150-200 for cylinder if oem.

i have done several of these over the years , and i am still running one of um.

very simple swap that makes very good power in the 440s.

there is a bunch of AM jugs made for this application that just bolt on--
not difficult with the OEM jug if you can find one.

He sent me a picture of the saw with a compression test gauge on with a compression of 200 psi. Settled on $500 bucks. Picking it up on Friday. If it is as good in person as it looks in the pictures, I will be very happy with this saw. Thanks for the advice guys. Really appreciate it.

Steve

I think I'm going to have to get rid of my 038 mag if this saw works out the way I think it will. That kinda bums me out. Maybe I can sell it to my brother and keep it in the family:rock:

Latest posts

Back