hydraulic help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torence 20

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
need some hydraulic help, i want to build a set up to operate a hydraulic motor and a single acting cylinder power up gravity down, i found a 3 spool valve cheap but all three are single acting spools there is an input and out put and then each spool has one output port. would this valve work to run the motor in one direction.. go from outlet one spool to the inlet on hyd motor then from the outlet on motor return straight to resevoir? and then the outlet on the cylinder also to resevior?

Describe what you are trying to do and the pros here will be able to help you better.
I'm no pro but I read your question 3 times and I still can't quite figure it out. I'm thinking you would only need a 2 spool valve. 1 would be 2 way with detent both ways to run the motor in either direction and the other spool would be 2 way, no detent and center open? Then you need to get into amount of flow needed to run the motor.

I think the answer is no. The valve will not do what you want it to do. That is not too easily. I think it could be done but by the time you got done buying all the circuit valves and hoses you would be money ahead to just get the valve you need. I will be the first to admit that I am by any means a pro when it comes to hydraulics but I do know you can't send (one way) and not have the return (double acting) move at the same time. In a single acting application something has to pull the cylinder back whether it's springs or gravity.

The valve has to expose cylinder to pressure from the pump in order to extend. To retract, the valve has to block pressure from the pump and allow fluid to return to reservoir.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...-CESSNA-CONTROL-VALVE-30-GPM-9-4574-3-AAA.axd this is the valve that i was looking at, i dont need 3 spools but would have one there incase i wanted to add something down the road, this valve will work with the power up gravity down single acting cylinder, what i need to know is will it work to drive a motor in only one direction cant use reverse even if it were an option, and it wont be continuous running for a second or 2 at at time every 5 min or so for no more then 30 min at a time

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...-CESSNA-CONTROL-VALVE-30-GPM-9-4574-3-AAA.axd this is the valve that i was looking at, i dont need 3 spools but would have one there incase i wanted to add something down the road, this valve will work with the power up gravity down single acting cylinder, what i need to know is will it work to drive a motor in only one direction cant use reverse even if it were an option, and it wont be continuous running for a second or 2 at at time every 5 min or so for no more then 30 min at a time
yes.

OK so I would run the hose from the valve to the inlet on the motor then the outlet from the motor to the reservoir?

Latest posts

Back