Hydraulic Whine in cold weather.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Speeco 35 ton that is making a loud whine in this cold weather. It's the hydraulics. Is this normal for cold weather?

I have only used it in warm weather before. I have to split down some chunks that are too big for this new stove. It's pretty loud for about ten to fifteen minutes, Then it quiets down to normal.

It's loud just with the motor running and gets a higher pitch whine when you pull the lever and move the ram.

I know some of you only split in the winter and i don't want to mess nothing up if this is not normal.

Thanks
Rick

How loud is loud? Sometimes a little noise is expected when cold but not a lot.

Most hyd systems whine when it gets cold out, my splitter does it, my tractor does it, so do both my trucks. I'd let it run a little above idle for a minute if it's really cold out. is this the oil that came in it? they do have cold climate oil but I don't think you or I need it.

You could put a dipstick heater in the tank.

Most hyd systems whine when it gets cold out, my splitter does it, my tractor does it, so do both my trucks. I'd let it run a little above idle for a minute if it's really cold out. is this the oil that came in it? they do have cold climate oil but I don't think you or I need it.
Yeah, It's the oil that came with it. The motor doesn't have an idle, It's pretty fast running. It has a choke and a kill lever. B&S engine.

whining hydraulics

Anytime a hydraulic system make a loud whining noise that is not good.Those are tiny little explosions going off in your pump and it will decrease the life of your pump.It's caused (most likely) from cavitation, the oil is too thick when cold to flood the pump suction port.It would definetly be a good idea to put a lower viscosity fluid in for cold weather.You can save your old oil in a clean container and put it back in in warm weather.

So just let the motor run for about two or three minutes before operating the ram? Will it heat up the oil just running without moving the ram?

Not sure on your application. My skidders have a vaned pump that circulate the oil, even at idle. Takes a few minutes to warm up.

Anytime a hydraulic system make a loud whining noise that is not good.Those are tiny little explosions going off in your pump and it will decrease the life of your pump.It's caused (most likely) from cavitation, the oil is too thick when cold to flood the pump suction port.It would definetly be a good idea to put a lower viscosity fluid in for cold weather.You can save your old oil in a clean container and put it back in in warm weather.
But would it hurt just to idle and not move the ram, If it will warm up that way. BTW: Welcome to AS and thanks for answering my question on your first post.

Old Ray Ray (aka dad) aims a salamander at his splitter for about 10 minutes before he starts it, then he lets is run as he drags it down the road to the river where his wood pile is...

He is an old school fellow that if there is work to be done, it does not matter how cold it is outside...Mom gets mad at me every year when I drop off loads of wood when it is -10° outside...LOL

Old Ray Ray (aka dad) aims a salamander at his splitter for about 10 minutes before he starts it, then he lets is run as he drags it down the road to the river where his wood pile is...

He is an old school fellow that if there is work to be done, it does not matter how cold it is outside...Mom gets mad at me every year when I drop off loads of wood when it is -10° outside...LOL
Ok, Whats a salamander, That like a kerosene heater?

Latest posts

Back