Hydraulic woes.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm sitting around posting on this forum because my arch cylinders are @ the hydraulic repair shop...and they tell me $550 to re-seal one...with warranty..and the other is toasted. Bent, scored, junk.

Greaaaaaat.

They say they can fix it @ $1,400....

So $1,950.oo for 2 cylinders. Ouch.

Had a loader operator pushing blowdowns behind me a few weeks ago get too ambitious and blast a cylinder. I was thinking the whole time that he should just chill and let me cut the root balls free first, but he's one of those gung-ho "hydraulics can do anything!" types. Ah, well, not my money.

If you can get the parts, repacking a cylinder is cake... I have had pretty good luck matching up cylinders for equipment by looking around online and in catalogs (you have to know bore, stroke, and eye diameter etc... first) for as much as half off what the dealer or shop want.

Just my personal experience,

Tom

Parts place in Mass. has a cyl. out in a Michigan yard, warranteed for everything but seals, for $885 shipped to my door. I hate to put that kind of coin out only to find I have to re-seal it...and at that point I'll have $100 more into it than the repaired cyl...

The shop uses New England Hydraulics. They come get the cylinders, repair them, and bring them back. They're located in Merrimack, NH. They have made new rods, barrels, and complete custom cylinders for the company. They must do good work because the big boss keeps using them and he's, um, paticular about vendors. Good luck to ya.

Parts place in Mass. has a cyl. out in a Michigan yard, warranteed for everything but seals, for $885 shipped to my door. I hate to put that kind of coin out only to find I have to re-seal it...and at that point I'll have $100 more into it than the repaired cyl...

I feel your pain. Last November I broke the end off the rod on one of the curl cylinders on my Fecon. Dealer wanted $1195 + shipping for the 2 1/2" cylinder with a 16" stroke. I told them that was too much, they said nothing else will fit. I told them that it would when I got done cutting & welding. In the end they dropped the price to $945. I took it because they could get it here in 2 days. I would have lost another couple of days redoing everything and making it work.

You might as well face it. With the luck you're having you'd better get the repaired cylinder.

Andy

The shop uses New England Hydraulics. They come get the cylinders, repair them, and bring them back. They're located in Merrimack, NH. They have made new rods, barrels, and complete custom cylinders for the company. They must do good work because the big boss keeps using them and he's, um, particular about vendors. Good luck to ya.

It's New Hampshire hydraulics, that's where the pistons are now. They did come get them, can't beat that. I had them reseal the "good" one, but not hone and buff and balance & blue-print and whatever. Money is just too tight. $400 delivered back. No warranty...but the warranty is only for a year anyway..and it won't even hardly be broken in come a year from now.
I located another piston in NC, and it's $500 + $225 shipping..same "warranty" as the other used one @ $885 shipped...just $160 less, and it never sat "dry", it had fluid in it the whole time...so the seals should be OK...
I just can't toss out $1,950 for the NH hydraulics cure on both originals. Other bills require attention just as dire.

I have used New Hampshire hydraulics when I was in a pinch and had just to much work on my plate.
I never had a problem and the turn around was good.

Sorry about the wrong name, Oldtimer. Usually when I'm stuck in the shop and a red Chevy truck backs up to the door, we just load the cylinders in the back. No name on the door. Head mechanic metioned one day that the big boss had called New Hampshire hydraulics instead of New England hydraulics or vice versa or something, whatever. Hope the reseal holds and the used one works out.

my humble $.02 - get my seal kits from EPM : 800-659-5050, helps to know your kit #/ bent rods generally can be made useable with a clever session in the big ole press - my stuff is so old I buy used from W+W (800-845-6648) if I can't salvage what I all ready have

Back