Hydro works 2 spool valve and detent kit question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought my Hydroworks valve for my 36" splitter from Princess Auto. "guy" there said to change it to "wood splitter" valve you just have to add the MD30 Detent kit. Now that I finally have it (bought online and shipped here) I've been reading up on it and it appears that this kit just locks the handle in whatever position you put it in until you move the lever. I of course want it cycle out while I hold it to split and then when I push the lever back it locks in and cycles all the way back until it kicks off at the end of the back stroke. Same as every other splitter out there. Does anyone know if this is correct or not. I'm going to add the kit but if it doesn't do what I want then I would rather return it and change out the whole valve 1st.
Valve ----> http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/md30-2-spool-directional-control-valve/A-p8491334e
Kit ---->http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/md30-detent-kit/A-p8510281e

Me -----> WTF

why are you using a two spool valve?

is this just to move a cylinder in and out? or, are there other functions for the valve?

It appears to be a detented valve when the kit is added, but not a pressure release on the detent. Two separate types of valve. The kit listed will give you three positionms: detented P to A, then neutral (probablty spring centered), then dentened P to B.
I would NOT want detented in the extend direction, and I would want pressure release in the retract detented direction.

I would send kit and valve back and get the appropriate valve, from a dealer who knows what he is selling.
kcj

mga, 1 spool is for the wedge lifter, the other is the splitter cylinder.
Kevin J, not much choice around here for valves. I was going to buy one online but this one is supposed to work. I already have a Eaton splitter valve so I might just put it on for the splitter cylinder and use the Hydroworks for the wedge lifter and a log lifter later. The big pump actually moves pretty fast but it's a pain to hold in to retract.

but this one is supposed to work
I'm sure it would work as its designed...but its not what you want for your application...its something you would use for running a hydro motor so you can keep it running constantly.
though you would have learned your lesson with PA?:wtf:

I bought the valve quite awhile ago. Every place I went to and asked for an autocycle valve told me they don't exist. One guy even called it a "widow" maker. It is Power Beyond capable so I'll likely just plumb the Eaton and use the 2 spool for lifters. I'll likely build the log lifter soon anyway. The table is coming along.
IMG_20151213_163054.jpg

I bought my Hydroworks valve for my 36" splitter from Princess Auto. "guy" there said to change it to "wood splitter" valve you just have to add the MD30 Detent kit. Now that I finally have it (bought online and shipped here) I've been reading up on it and it appears that this kit just locks the handle in whatever position you put it in until you move the lever. I of course want it cycle out while I hold it to split and then when I push the lever back it locks in and cycles all the way back until it kicks off at the end of the back stroke. Same as every other splitter out there. Does anyone know if this is correct or not. I'm going to add the kit but if it doesn't do what I want then I would rather return it and change out the whole valve 1st.
Valve ----> http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/md30-2-spool-directional-control-valve/A-p8491334e
Kit ---->http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/md30-detent-kit/A-p8510281e

Me -----> WTF
The MD30 Detent kit is made to hold the spool but does not have the hydraulic psi release detent you are looking for. The valve i installed on my splitter came from Surplus Center. Their #9-7414. The release PSI is adjustable, I had to lower the PSI on mine because it would snuff the engine before it released.

Thanks MN Cutter, I ended up putting a power beyond plug in the Hydroworks and adding the log splitter valve I already had on it. Works like a charm other than I need a couple more fittings to install the valve so it moves the same way the cylinder moves. The splitter valve I bought was meant to mount upside down directly on the cylinder and I wanted it beside the other valve so the ports lined up right. Just means a few more elbows and a little more heat buildup. I used it for 2 hours yesterday and it worked great. I sharpened my horizontal wedge a little too long of an angle and it bend even on the soft poplar. I'll likely end up grinding it steeper to make a stronger cutting edge. Worse part is I only have another 4 hours worth of wood to split with it and then it'll be sitting. Picture is before I had the return plumbed up.
IMG_20151217_070608.jpg IMG_20151220_155959.jpg

Cantoo - do you have a log lift also that you are going to use the extra spool function for? I would like to add a 4 way wedge to mine also but the way i have it designed it would have to be a slide on. If you ever have any hydraulic questions feel free to shoot me a message, i went to 2 years of school for hydraulics and have been in the hydraulic industry since 1988.

As for the cutting edge bending over my guess would be maybe you took the temper out of the steel? I am not a metal guy but when i made my cutting edge i used a piece of Road Grader cutting edge and sharpened it at my friends welding shop and he kept telling me to let it sit after a few minutes of grinding so it could cool and then grind and let it sit and so on.

I'll put a log lift on it someday. The 2 spool was on sale that week and now the 3 spool is on sale, oh well it'll work anyway. I also might power my conveyor with it.
Slide on works but they tend to slide up when splitting so you need to fasten it on somehow. Mine even lifts some just due to the slop in the lifting pieces. It really works well though. It's just plain steel 3/4" thick and the angle was way too steep, it's just too thin at the cutting edge. The vertical one is better. I had a chisel plow tooth I was going to use but it was too short. This piece is removable so if it doesn't last I'll just replace it with a better one.

Latest posts

Back