Hydrostatic drive machine rolls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have an old small skid steer that uses manually controlled Sundstrand hydros. Because of it's small size its perfect for many small yard jobs. Machine has a lot of hours.

The pumps don't show normal wear signs like bad rattle when getting moving or uneven drive. Has plenty of power, moved some very large rocks with it up a steep ass hill just recently. IE... without the rocks, I had to go up the hill backwards so the machine didn't flip over.

But...

It rolls pretty bad in neutral stick and rolls when the engine is off/park. So parking the trailer on the hill makes tying the machine down a dangerous two person operation with the machine running... Neutral isn't set dead perfectly quite but even when I hold it there manually it doesn't seem to help it stay. The machine was not designed with a parking brake of any kind. So when you shut the machine off, she goes a rolling and you can't stop it unless you start it and use machine power.

What is the most likely scenario for this type of malfunction? My guess is the motors might be bypassing internally (these are zero case drain designs but need to check if the hydros are trying to turn when it's pushed.

Back