Hypoxoylon canker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Reaction score
I've been noticing many of our oaks dead and many more dying from this lately! I think its due to the recent droughts, wondering if our neighbors are experiencing the same. Its to an alarming degree and by that I mean many. I went and looked at 12 dead today in a four acre area but in the woods it is near the same. I know not much can really be done other than water unaffected trees and mulch etc but I'm seeing an epidemic that seems unreported.

This same four acre area was hit by tornado last year then ice storm I also seen hackburys dead with what seems to be flathead borer.

Last edited:
It's been an epidimic in Bastrop county for the last two years, rope. man do they go quick, and man are they sketchy climbs!! I def think it's drought related, just stressed trees not being able to fight it off.

Yes very quick and get sketchy the longer people wait, from what I have read most theory seems to point at most oaks having it but it only manifesting in drought or other stresses. Funny thing about these particular trees is they are in a wet area but we had the worst drought in history and even it likely reached no available water! The trees on the hill lived which is understandable as they are more acclimated to dry conditions and slower growth.

Last edited:
Yes very quick and get sketchy the longer people wait, from what I have read most theory seems to point at most oaks having it but it only manifesting in drought or other stresses. Funny thing about these particular trees is they are in a wet area but we had the worst drought in history and even it likely reached no available water! The trees on the hill lived which is understandable as they are more acclimated to dry conditions and slower growth.

From what I have been able to learn you are dead on. it's in the soil, in the trees, the strong survive. Just be safe, I have never seen wood decay so fast. I had one over a fence, was going to walk out and nibble it. I was out about 2 feet from the trunk, and asked my groundie to reach up with a pole saw and pull the ends off. 6 " oak limb snaps like a twig a foot from where I was standing. I dont trust em any further thanI can drop em, lol

From what I have been able to learn you are dead on. it's in the soil, in the trees, the strong survive. Just be safe, I have never seen wood decay so fast. I had one over a fence, was going to walk out and nibble it. I was out about 2 feet from the trunk, and asked my groundie to reach up with a pole saw and pull the ends off. 6 " oak limb snaps like a twig a foot from where I was standing. I dont trust em any further thanI can drop em, lol
Wow yeah its a fast acting killer for sure.

Latest posts

Back