I Almost Bought an MS 260 Today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was out at the log worksite and pulled on my Echo 3900. Clunk, she locked up like a vise--impossible to crank. I thought, "Good, now I can buy that MS 260 I've been dreaming about to compliment the MS 361."

So, I put the Echo back in her case, pulled out the MS 361, and finished cutting a complete load of rounds. After loading and unloading the truck, I thought to myself, "Well, the Echo's been a good saw through the years. I at least owe her a bench check up before I put her out to pasture."

I got home and removed the bar, chain, and the pull-cord housing. Then I shook her a few times. A small rock fell on the workshop floor. Hmmm... Now the pull cord turned it over fine. So I cleaned it all out, shaking it as I went along to get rid of the crud, wiped it clean, and bolted it back together again.

After a complete assembly, I choked it and she started on the third pull. Cranked her slowly up to 12,000 RPM and no problems anywhere.
Echo3900.jpg

Dang it! I can't kill this little soldier. Stihl MS 260 is on hold again. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Hi,
"Sorry" that your Echo still work!:D
How old is this saw and how much HP?
Best Regards

Hi,
"Sorry" that your Echo still work!:D
How old is this saw and how much HP?
Best Regards
I bought it in 1996. I think Echo stopped making it in 1999, but I could be wrong. It has a rather small, 0.325" pitch on the chain. With this 16" bar, that means 66 links and it cannot be found at the borgs (HD, TSC, Lowes, etc.). Some say that's good to have more teeth, but I've heard arguments both ways.

The 3900 means 39 CCs of displacement. I'm not sure what the HP rating is, but I imagine that today's Stihl MS 250 will out gun this saw. Regardless, the compression is still excellent, and I enjoy using it because it's light, has good balance, and is easy to handle. It's a terrific limbing saw and that's why I've stuck by it for 12 years.

enough said

I enjoy using it because it's light, has good balance, and is easy to handle. It's a terrific limbing saw and that's why I've stuck by it for 12 years.

i see your saw has been good to you it's hard to replace it, just think what a260 can do

i see your saw has been good to you it's hard to replace it, just think what a260 can do
QFT! Salt in the wounds. :censored: :buttkick: :givebeer:

Side note: The MS 361 cut the entire truckload of big rounds on one tank of fuel. Some of the pieces were so big I had to drag them on board with my winch and rail ramps. I sometimes forget how nice it is to use fabulous equipment. :chainsaw:

i hear ya

those big rounds can be some fun cuttin with a good saw...im kinda like you ive had a 350 for a few years and want a 346xp

Nothing wrong with Echo. You'd have to be a nut to want a good saw to quit on you so you can rush out and pay too much for another saw of similar quality.

Spacemule said. "...another saw of similar quality..."
-----------

Uh Oh! I think a forum war has just been declared. My vintage Echo CS 3900 is in the same quality league as a Stihl MS 260? Dear Lord, please save us all from the Stihl owners' onslaught! :dizzy: :jawdrop:

echo power equipment never seems to make the power of the other brands,but they also seem to run trouble free for years.
that 3900 is a tough little customer

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back