I am so tired of Junk!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know where you get your patience to deal with all that stuff.
I tell my wife, "Come to me with solutions, not problems."

You timing belt jockeys have BA_LS ! Never would I try it. Never.
But a word from the other side: cars today run better, smoother, and are more reliable than the junkers we had in the 60's. You older farts forget.
Right, you can't even change a plug or tune the carb ( long ago ), but they do run and run. Quality and reliablity and safety have come a long way since my old slant sixes. And chainsaws ? Think back just a couple of decades and compare.
All isn't so bad. Enjoy the brew. Quit whinning. You could have a Homelite.:ices_rofl:

That may work for some, but the cruiser took the cake when it came to changing that timing belt.I have changed a good many of belts for folks, but I have never seen such a cramped space as the cruiser.
I ended up taking off the intake, fuel injection manifold, battery and box, fuse assembly.All just to gain enough clearance to jack up one side of the motor to get the belt off.
Take a look

i have been known!! to REDESIGN sheet metal, to do a job, then RETRAIN it back into place----:laugh::laugh: enguneers!!!!! like stated--id throttle a few-----

Ace Hardware Stores are all independently owned and operated. They only carry what the local market/shoppers are demanding. If people are only buying cheap tools do you really expect the store to carry the higher quality, more expensive tools?

Also, place of origin has no relevance to quality. You get what you pay for. I have personally witnessed the same factory in Taiwan making $89 Mongoose Bikes (junk) and $3000 name brand bikes (EXTREME QUALITY)

My rule is, dont ever buy unless one of two conditions is met...

#1...I have researched the purchase, found many favorable reviews, and am confident I am getting the best value product.

#2...I am buying the product from someone I know, and trust who will help me find the correct item for my needs. This person/business is also going to stand behind said product while I own it.

Please note that value almost never = lowest price. Value = best ratio of price to ability to meet my needs.

I remember when Mongoose bikes were top dog...

I hear you on that one.I replaced the timing belt on my PT Cruiser last year, and even invented some new cusswords.I was busy with work, and figured that it would cost me more in time off of work than to have a shop do it.Wrong answer, they wanted 1500 bucks for a timing belt replacement.figured I would take the time to do it myself.
8 hours later it was done, but it was the toughest belt that I have ever done.After the first hour I realized that it would be easier to pull the engine and replace the belt until I read in the manual that the only way the engine comes out is out the bottom!WTF!

Warranty flatrate is 4.2 hours to r&r timing belt on the pt cruiser. I applaud you for tackling it yourself. I don't really care if they want to make these cars hard to repair, what really pisses me off is some pinhead sitting behind a desk who couldn't fix a snugee, telling me how long it takes to do the job.
And no it is not faster to pull the engine

You timing belt jockeys have BA_LS ! Never would I try it. Never.
But a word from the other side: cars today run better, smoother, and are more reliable than the junkers we had in the 60's. You older farts forget.
Right, you can't even change a plug or tune the carb ( long ago ), but they do run and run. Quality and reliablity and safety have come a long way since my old slant sixes. And chainsaws ? Think back just a couple of decades and compare.
All isn't so bad. Enjoy the brew. Quit whinning. You could have a Homelite.:ices_rofl:
Not that old of a fart here (36), but I have tuned a few carbs, tuned a few late 60, early 70s engines. Change spark plugs, points and condenser every other oil change.

i have been known!! to REDESIGN sheet metal, to do a job, then RETRAIN it back into place----:laugh::laugh: enguneers!!!!! like stated--id throttle a few-----
why you wanna do that to us??? what did an engineer ever do to you???

Anyway, to get back on avalanchers subject, one of my favorite "new stuff is junk" stories is about garbage cans, simple enough thing. My driveway is about 100 yards long, my garbage gets picked up once a week.

I bought a garbage can with 2 wheels on it, kids job to roll it down the driveway once a week and bring it back up,I could not find a garbage can that would last more than about a year before the plastic wheels would fall off, surely I'm not the only person in America that has to roll their garbage can to the end of a driveway more than 10 feet long.

Ended up buying a couple of wheels at L&m supply with bearings in them, used a piece of 3/8 ready rod for an axle, that was about 10 years ago, still workin like new, actually better than new. If I remember right the wheels cost more than the garbage can.

Seems to me there would be a market for a store that sold only quality products.

I just encountered the throw-away thing again at work today. One of the computer screens died in our control room. 20" Samsung LCD. Probably about $400 when new. Instead of throwing it away I opened it up. 3 capacitors on the power supply were bad. Total cost of repair---$4 and 45 min labor!

How many of these things have been thrown out because of the same problem?! Junk Sucks!

I know what you guys mean. A couple of saturdays ago I was mowing with my 25hp mower. It's a B&S twin OHV engine. It started to miss and I heard a pushrod start to tap. By the time I got it shut down one side wasn't running at all. Pulled the head and the friggin intake valve guide broke loose and stopped the rocker which bent the pushrod. Of course the pushrod somehow slid through the SMALL oil channel and decided to reside in the bottom of the sump. Took the engine off and opened up the sump to get the old pushrod out. Ran to the local mower shop to see how much the parts would cost me. He had the exact engine "out in the shed that a customer ran after he punched a hole in the oil filter. Less than one hour on the engine before he burned up the bottom end. Shop owner said since I'm a good customer a new head complete with rockers and gaskets for the sump and a new head gasket cost me $20.00 out the door. Two hours later I was mowing again. Still working great!

Engineer here... so I expect the Wrath of Khan coming...

Most of you who rail about the "crap" you buy are also the ones who shop on price. Period. It is pretty much a given assumption in the US market that "price is King." In my experience it sure seems to be true. Sure there are some who buy for repairability and the lifetime of the product. Heck, I'm one. But I "get it" - most people don't.

Please vote here: How many vehicles have you seen marketed with the ad copy being:
1. Easy to replace spark plugs!
2. No need to replace spark plugs before 100,000 miles!

Gee, why do you think #2 is the common theme? Most people don't keep a car to 50k miles, much less 100k! I keep mine to 200k+!

Here is the point that some of you are missing. Designing for repairability vs cost are at opposite ends of the continuum. You can easily get EITHER, but you need to pick... Guess what the US population picks in general? Those who design for high quality and repairability often don't make it in the long run these days. Fact of life. If you are designing products, which end to you go to? You take your pick, but most go to the low end. Heck, if you have a high-end brand name you can probably make it if you have a devoted following and stick to the mission. But if your base wavers, well...you're toast.

But really now, people - don't act like you aren't part of the problem you are railing against. OK, maybe the crowd reading this isn't the issue, but you are the minority. Let me give you an example. Any battery powered device: it is far cheaper to put in a permanently installed rechargeable battery than it is to allow for putting in AA's as needed. Which is better?:dunno: Depneds on what you want...

And BTW, Yes I do ALL the work on my own cars and everything else. All of it except letting the tire store do the tires. For all of you who rail about how you "can't work on these modern cars" really they ain't much different than the old stuff, outside of the engine PCM. And even that isn't so bad, once you get comfortable with it.

So on that point - toughen up people. Every time you buy "cheaper" you still pay for it, but maybe not today.

Don't worry - I got the full wrap Labonville chaps on. That Kevlar is great flame proofing....

:laugh:
-Dave

Last edited:
A friend of mine was helping me put away 4 tons of alfalfa and hay so I gave him two truckloads of white oak blocks. Next day, he brings me a McColloch PM610 (I have two already). He said it hasn't run in five or six years...

It fired on the first pull! It was running with a loose spark plug on the third pull.

It was filthy so I took it all apart and tanked it. Looks like all its gonna need is an oil tank gasket.
I will get it together Sunday and butcher some fir with it.

What a gift, I need all the 610 parts I can get my hands on until I have enough cash for a Dolmer.

My goal is to be in company with anyone that would rather tinker than dance.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone recalls a few Chinese Exec's getting shot by their gov't there a about 10 year back for making crappy refrigerators?
(Just look what they are making now!)
The reason the U.S. isn't making anything anymore is E.P.A..
E.P.A. has basically killed all industry in America,(steel,auto etc.).
Now it seems we have no jobs and are going GREEN! (but no GREEN in our pockets).
USA made was state of the art when i was growing up.(made in Japan was a joke).
We are in a throw away society anymore,not many care to fix anything or get their hands dirty.
Many times we have no choice but to buy CRAP and fill the landfills with Chinese rejects, 5 products there when there should be just 1 that was made to last. (The GREEN HEADS never thunk of that!).
Oh well i digress.
Mark
P.S. 2 decent HF products
18v cordless drill slide in battery (not the push in one) on sale $15.00, 4 years and the same battery i use it almost everyday.
11hp engine $250 (that's on one my splitters)120 cords + so far it has been flawless.(see how long it lasts)???:laugh:
(all i could afford at the time) and wouldn't buy a BRIGGS and (STRAP-ON) on a bet.(Kohler/Robin/Honda were out of my budget after building it.)

Ive been helping my ederly neighbor manage a small logging operation on his land, th last task was to smooth out the ruts in the road before the rains come, I was dragging an oak pallet behind my atv; works great, I cut out one section on top to drop in a couple rocks for weght. No fnacy dancy green colored implement for me.

I have one neighbor (good guy) that buys everything brand new and made specifically for a task, one is a tractor just for crap removal out of his barn and a trailer to spread it in the pastures. He has a FULL line of John Deere products and OHVs. He inherited 90% of what he has.

I didn't know a person could buy half the stuff I made for myself.

Dave,
You make a good point but there are a few "engineering" blunders that seem to be the norm. The only thing design engineers really protect is design intent. There isn't a lot of time put into inspectability or maintainence. Everything has a life expectancy driven by engineers. If your design affords 500 hours of use and reliability testing has proven your design is able to achieve the required cycles before failure, you release to production and call it a day. Some companies have to make the decision to use equipment beyond it's useful life expectancy only to find some of the critical components unable to be inspected. The only option is replace expensive parts before failure or risk a catastrophic failure due to an uninspectable part.
For the most part you guys are pretty good guys though Dave. I work directly with a large department of design engineers everyday and they actually do a very good job. Well, maybe some stack-ups could be a bit better but.................:cheers:

everything is junk,i agree.

i am real picky about stuff like tools.i want the best.i will drive and pay for quality.

i am about done fixing crap.people here are cheap and want it rigged to get by.i only fix stuff right or you get it back the way you brought it.

the other problem is they're in a hurry until your done.then it seems to sit here for ever.

Back