I changed my mind

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komatsuvarna

Arboristsite MVP
Reaction score
I thought logging would be pretty fun. I got a job at a local plant digging a cell for waste silica sand. Were the cell is to be dug is under a half acre of pines. No burning allowed on site. I contacted a local logger and he said hed take them for paper wood. So I decided to cut and my guys is gonna load his trucks.

BAD MISTAKE. That damn 372 felt like it weighed 40 pounds after a hour. Hotter than hell in a pine thicket. Not even a breeze.

Need less to say, Im a panzy and not cut out for logging. Ill stick to moving dirt and cutting a little firewood. I picked up some respect for you logger guys!!!!

If you're really that sure, I bet there's a heck of a good guy on here that I know could take care of that for you, hint: FW.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Sorry for laughing, but I couldn't help but think of the guy I bid his thinning job a few years ago. He said I'll just do it myself and save the money. You guy's get paid a lot of money for having fun. At the end of the summer he called me back and wanted me to finish the job.
I asked him; What, you've had enough fun already? :laugh:

Andy

Eons ago, I got a job on a thinning crew. It hurt so bad the first week that I actually would have a shot of whiskey when I got home. It took a week then all was OK and no more whiskey required.

Yep. It can sure make you think twice. It's kinda like coon hunting. I used to swear all the time that I'd quit, but if it gets in your blood, it's hard to quit. But I did quit coon hunting finally. :cheers:

I thought logging would be pretty fun. I got a job at a local plant digging a cell for waste silica sand. Were the cell is to be dug is under a half acre of pines. No burning allowed on site. I contacted a local logger and he said hed take them for paper wood. So I decided to cut and my guys is gonna load his trucks.

BAD MISTAKE. That damn 372 felt like it weighed 40 pounds after a hour. Hotter than hell in a pine thicket. Not even a breeze.

Need less to say, Im a panzy and not cut out for logging. Ill stick to moving dirt and cutting a little firewood. I picked up some respect for you logger guys!!!!

LOL! That 372 is a lil saw! Try swinging a 575 all day in hemlock!

About 18 years ago I was working for a drilling soil sampling company. We had this one job we couldn't get a drill rig in along a creek. We ended up having to carry a 15' tripod four hp cast iorn B/S engine with a cathead 140lb drop hammer and assorted drill rods up down and through the creek a 1/4 mile. It was hot muddy slipping wet mess. I ask one of the extra laborers the boss got to help out "what would you do if you had to do this all the time" As I was thinking of quitting. He looked at me and just said "get stronger." It sure was a different way to look at things and something I will always remember!

Billy

come on kvarna it isnt that bad, i swing a 460 or 660 all day and im not but a whopping 155 . its gets easier,,,,,,, but never gets easy!!!:cheers:

Give Your'eself sometime to get in shape. I started under, and through the years have worked under some highballing yarders when I couldn't find work cutting. In my experience setting chokers, pulling rigging, and some of the hookin, for the most part was way more physically demanding than falling, but everyones bodies are different, and each situation, and alot of it's mental You just have to ignore the pain, and fatigue, and push on through to get the work done.

I'm no logger either but if I cut for a few days in a row I find I get smarter about how I'm doing things, and then it gets a bit easier. If I have alot of limbing to do I'll use a smaller saw too. Even a 372 gets heavy for a guy from a cubicle farm...

chainsawing is hard work,but if your saw is dull it is really hard!(learned that the hard way)after a few years falling i think i have a pretty good grasp on hand filing,now i am able to just carry the weight of the saw around and pull the trigger,if anything i prefer to be pulling the saw out of the wood a bit if i knock my rakers down a bit too much, i used to burn through limbs myself until a couple people took me to the side and showed me a couple things.i had a boss that told me one time that most people pay the gym to get this kind of exercise.he was right,but i still wanted my check at the end of the week:)

People that think loggin' is "fun" aren't right in the head. I think of it as work, but I have no problem doin' work. So I enjoy it. Do I think it's fun? Not really...

Buck up buttercup... it's gonna be a long day... :)

Gary

Back