I don't believe my luck!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, this has been beat to death. Let's move on to another topic, do you guys think Stihl or Husky is better and what type and ratio of oil mix should I use?

Ok, this has been beat to death. Let's move on to another topic, do you guys think Stihl or Husky is better and what type and ratio of oil mix should I use?

Get whatever one you have a good dealer for and 40 or 50:1 any good oil. Put bar oil in bar oil tank. Make sure chain is sharp. Start engine while saw warms put PPE on. Release chain brake and cut wood. When chain has dulled to the point where it only smokes return said saw to dealer and buy the other brand cause the first one wasn't any good!:cheers:

Get whatever one you have a good dealer for and 40 or 50:1 any good oil. Put bar oil in bar oil tank. Make sure chain is sharp. Start engine while saw warms put PPE on. Release chain brake and cut wood. When chain has dulled to the point where it only smokes return said saw to dealer and buy the other brand cause the first one wasn't any good!:cheers:

Does Wal Mart sell Stihl or Husky?

don't let the door slam your ass on the way out....

just kidding.... don't mind all the slamming... if you stick around very long... your skin will grow thicker.

but seriously it's bad juju to slam the person that just gave you good fortune. don't bother buying a carb kit for a saw that new just yet. odds are all it needs is for carb to get flushed out. most times it's OK to reuse all the gaskets.

just hope no one ran straight gas in your new saw.... :monkey:

To the little old lady comment... HELL NO! The guy didn't have much common sense at all mechanically or otherwise... It was one of those conversations where you walk away thinking "how do people like that survive?" I mean seriously I had to wonder how he tied his shoes in the morning... I know some of you have ran into someone like this... You may not talk about it out loud is the only difference. I meant no disrespect for "paper pushers" in fact i do quite a bit of that myself. I think some of you are taking my comments a bit to seriously/personally. As far a break my own rules on what makes a man... Eh, I didn't really take advantage. If he needed $100 he shouldn't have gone lower. I said yeah nice saw, probably needs a bit of carb work I can do myself... What do you think about $50... He said too low... So I suggested meeting in the middle at $75 so I had the cash for a carb kit. He thought that was fair... For all I know he could have been lying and gotten it at the auction for $5 and just made a $70 profit... Yes I took advantage of the situation but honestly... How many of you would have told him the saw was worth $500???? Besides he wasn't exactly hurting for money... I am a lowly state worker taking home maybe 25K a year, putting a fiance through school, taking care of my niece, and paying for the needs of all 3 of us... Honestly if you guys knew I had to make the decision between buying a saw so i could cut wood to heat the house this winter instead of buying our groceries this month would you have troubled me this much??? Who needed the $25 more? I guess if you all want to be like this I'll go somewhere else to find chainsaw information...

don't bother buying a carb kit for a saw that new just yet. odds are all it needs is for carb to get flushed out. most times it's OK to reuse all the gaskets.

Already bought the carb kit, and already installed it... It works perfect and just like new! I've been slicing and dicing on 18in oak and 20in hickory. I'm probably going to town in a little bit for a longer bar and chain (I am going out to cut a bunch more 22-26in oak). I might take the saw along because I found a $30 box at northern with a 24in scabbord. One of the posts already says it doesn't fit a 6401 but I am hoping a little heat gun work and I will have a case that fits a 24in bar...

...I guess if you all want to be like this I'll go somewhere else to find chainsaw information...

ArboristSite has the best chainsaw forum on the internet. The only one that's even close deals mostly with vintage chainsaws, and it's against the rules to mention the name or post a link.

Everybody was :newbie: at first. Most folks here are actually pretty forgiving to a point. Try to learn from what folks have told you in this thread, and think about what you're about to post before you post it.

I see that you're making other posts that stick to commenting on chainsaws, cutting, etc. That's the ticket to fitting in around here ;).

let me say something in defense of Nathan. he and i have had some off the board discussions. i will tell you that he puts his life on the line every day to defend the citizens of his community. people that do this get a little extra respect and leeway in my book. i our exchanges i haven't found him to be arrogant, brash or hippocritical. sometimes what we post here gets read the wrong way and it snowballs.

bottom line, he didn't force the guy to sell the saw, nor did he use any chicanery. they chose to enter into a mutally agreed to transaction. i assume the seller would have been saavy enough to understand. maybe his enthusiasm clouded his judgement and he said some things poorly, but haven't we all?????

Nathan, don't worry about this dust-up. personally, i would put this thread behind me. quit reading and posting in it. it will die a slow death and fade off into the archives. just don't leave......we love people who love saws and most other things "outdoors", and i think you do too!!! when you have a problem, just post up and we will be glad to jump in and answer.

Neal

don't bother buying a carb kit for a saw that new just yet. odds are all it needs is for carb to get flushed out. most times it's OK to reuse all the gaskets.

Already bought the carb kit, and already installed it... It works perfect and just like new! I've been slicing and dicing on 18in oak and 20in hickory. I'm probably going to town in a little bit for a longer bar and chain (I am going out to cut a bunch more 22-26in oak). I might take the saw along because I found a $30 box at northern with a 24in scabbord. One of the posts already says it doesn't fit a 6401 but I am hoping a little heat gun work and I will have a case that fits a 24in bar...

Yes I took advantage of the situation but honestly... How many of you would have told him the saw was worth $500???? Besides he wasn't exactly hurting for money... I am a lowly state worker taking home maybe 25K a year, putting a fiance through school, taking care of my niece, and paying for the needs of all 3 of us... Honestly if you guys knew I had to make the decision between buying a saw so i could cut wood to heat the house this winter instead of buying our groceries this month would you have troubled me this much??? Who needed the $25 more? I guess if you all want to be like this I'll go somewhere else to find chainsaw information...

Perhaps you're a great guy in real life. But you need to think about how what you write is going to be perceived a bit more. Do you really think we're all jerks, or could it be that YOU are not exactly portraying yourself well? Here's a few things to think about.

1) Nice rationalization about your dealings (not). If they were honest you wouldn't need to rationalize them. If we take your logic to its natural conclusion you should give all your money to people in third world countries. I mean, who needs the money more?

2) You can barely put food on the table but in the next breath you are talking about big bore kits and porting.:dizzy:

3) Your attitude towards someone you really don't know a thing about was very judgmental and biased, and when it was pointed out you threaten to leave. Hmmmm.

4) This "clown" with "no common sense" lives in a 750k house and you make 25k a year. See a disconnect there? I work in the middle & upper echelons of a Fortune 50 company. If this guy was so dumb he sure wouldn't be where he is. It's a shark infested pool, and the weak and/or stupid don't survive long at all. Maybe he just has a different type of knowledge than you do. Doesn't make him bad.

Peace.

Honestly I am not going to dignify any of that with an answer or explanation. Not becasue I don't have one for each of the 4 comments but b/c I've already moved on from this... If you'd like to keep dragging this out you are more than welcome to. Just do me a favor... when you want to leave snide comments, don't leave "Peace" at the end b/c that is not where you are going with the conversation... Maybe if peace is where you wanted to go you should have posted the following.

"well, good find... let us know if you need any help or advice in the future."

That would have helpd lul the conversation to an end...

Happy Felling Guys!
Nathan

Honestly I am not going to dignify any of that with an answer or explanation. Not becasue I don't have one for each of the 4 comments but b/c I've already moved on from this... If you'd like to keep dragging this out you are more than welcome to. Just do me a favor... when you want to leave snide comments, don't leave "Peace" at the end b/c that is not where you are going with the conversation... Maybe if peace is where you wanted to go you should have posted the following.

"well, good find... let us know if you need any help or advice in the future."

That would have helpd lul the conversation to an end...

Happy Felling Guys!
Nathan

I saw absolutely nothing snide in Coloradobum's comments. I found them thoughtful and balanced, though perhaps just a small bit condescending. I took his "peace" to mean "no offense intended." Just saying. :)

Glad you've moved on. Maybe everyone else can now, too, butcha can't control comments in an Internet forum. Have fun with the saw, Nathan.

Have fun with the saw, Nathan.

Thanks I intend to! I am off to Northern in 5-10 mins... I am wondering if it would make more sense for me to eventually... down the road... start buying bulk chain and making my own chain for the makita... I will probably start a new thread... to ask that question...

pics to come... I just got it this morning! I am giddy with anticipation to fix it and run it! I actually took 2 hrs off work this morning to go get it and had to go back... The guy didn't post pics on the CL add...

As far as the clown comment: You had to be there and talk to the guy. Complete white collar, drives a BMW and Mercedes, lives in a $750K house, in a gated community... Basically a big dollar guy who was more concerned with saving face with his wife than getting what the saw was worth... What he was doing at a auction... I couldn't even begin to guess and really could care less!

If his home is 3/4 of a million dollars he could own a saw shop....now who is the clown???

I'm not sure about y'all, but my father busted his butt off so I could get an education and not bust my butt. To me, a clown is someone who works harder than necessary, longer than he plays, or in a job he doesn't love.

All the hard work I do is my choice. I love the feeling I get from throwing a load of wood in that I cut and split, but if cuttin' and splittin' means not having time to play with my wife and 5-month-old, the firewood guy's gettin' a call.

Reminds me of a poem:

Those Winter Sundays
by Robert E. Hayden
Sundays too my father got up early
and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold,
then with cracked hands that ached
from labor in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.
I’d wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
When the rooms were warm, he’d call,
and slowly I would rise and dress,
fearing the chronic angers of that house,
Speaking indifferently to him,
who had driven out the cold
and polished my good shoes as well.
What did I know, what did I know
of love’s austere and lonely offices?

S

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

With age comes the knowledge of when to cut your losses and to move on. When you write (or speak) large volumes there will be times that others will use your words against you. When doing so they may or may not be taken out of context, but at that point it doesn't matter. I find it best to be concise and avoid editorial comments in order not to have those sorts of problems. Of course your results may be different.

To the OP I am probably the one who stirred this pot and for that I apologize! Something about the original post just rubbed me wrong and my smartass sarcasm took over! I think we all learned a lesson here and this will be my last post in this thread unless we are talking about your new saw!

As the great rodney king once said, ..."can't we all just get along?" I don't see anything wrong with a good deal. I think the guy was a little over excited about the deal he got. I would have offered the guy 75 bucks and that is that. Oh yeah..I consider my self a white collar clown with blue collar blood.:deadhorse: sorry I couldn't resist!

Back