Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleandowell

Reaction score
HI everyone I have been working on a 1957 IEL Ra chainsaw. i just ran a compression test and got about 32 psi after 3-4 pulls. before i start buying parts i wanted to know what my compression should be for a chainsaw like this. also looking for a piston and rings for this saw and wondering if a piston for a pioneer p62 will work they have the same bore size.

Probably around 150psi compression. You ought to pull the exhaust and check the piston, see what you are dealing with. Somebody here may have a top end if needed. Ebay will pop one up, I'm sure. Very common saw. Nothing else will interchange.

I have a 1957 RA, the 600 parts interchange well, I bought the rings from Greece and have the CR seal numbers here for that saw if you need BUT I would suggest you just buy another saw. I bought a 650 and a 700 for $50 each that BOTH RUN but I can't get the gaskets for the fuel bowl and o rings aren't working. I'm in the process of machining a gasket punch to make them.
If it's not sentimental I would not spend the money. Buy another saw.

This is an RA,

b2f79ee318acaec40e656d714fa60fe7.jpg

It was the last of the sandcast saws, the 600 series saws were diecast, Pioneer claimed that diecasting sped up production and the molds could be used over and over.

I have a 1957 RA, the 600 parts interchange well, I bought the rings from Greece and have the CR seal numbers here for that saw if you need BUT I would suggest you just buy another saw. I bought a 650 and a 700 for $50 each that BOTH RUN but I can't get the gaskets for the fuel bowl and o rings aren't working. I'm in the process of machining a gasket punch to make them.
If it's not sentimental I would not spend the money. Buy another saw.
Even if you could find the bowl gaskets, they were cork and probably all dried out and shrunk. I've made them with a razor blade and new material but a punch would be ideal.

HI everyone I have been working on a 1957 IEL Ra chainsaw. i just ran a compression test and got about 32 psi after 3-4 pulls. before i start buying parts i wanted to know what my compression should be for a chainsaw like this. also looking for a piston and rings for this saw and wondering if a piston for a pioneer p62 will work they have the same bore size.
Pull until the gauge stops rising. 3-4 pulls won't do it. Also make sure the shrader valve is in the end that screws into the spark plug hole. You should get at least 135psi.

Latest posts

Back