i fabbed up a chimney cap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i made this at work buring my breaks and stuff. i made it pretty fast so it could have been prettier but overall im happy with it. its was made entirely from about a half a sheet of 4x8 .125 aluminum.i made it to cover both my flus now that i use a woodstove in the cellar. i had a crappy universal cap over the inserts so that got the ax with the addition of this. this was gonna be a prototype but it actually fit so well im just gonna use it.

i fastened the top using nutserts and 1/4-20 bolts. that way the top is easily removable to clean the chimney. only thing is i got carried away i used too many bolts for the cover but no big deal.

heres some pics you can see i need to do a little cement work on the top of the chimney again.

Very nice job, I have to get one of these myself. Talked with a mason recently and he reminded me how important it is to cover the chimney now that I'm useing my owb. Since the moisture isn't getting dried up by the indoor furnace it can cause it to crack and such. Nice work on the cover, looks just like the big dollar ones!

Nice job. I had to buy mine, but I got it powder-coated brown. Doesn't look like a shiny 747.

I get squirrel nests in my 2 chimneys every fall and it is a PITA. Gotta get a nice cap like that. The one I got ain't gettin it.

thanks guys i appreciate the kind words. i tooka peek at it tonight after i had the stove all fired up. looks real nice up there with a bit o smoke puffing from it.

kevin j not that im aware of. people sell aluminum short as far as the toughness of it. we build everythign from it and you would not believe some of the stuff we make out of aluminum. 95% of people would think most of our stuff is steel cuse steel is "tough" aluminum is not.

nice fab job, rancher!

it gives the house a whole new look, don't it?

my son is a tin knocker and he made one like that for me out of stainless. it doesn't stay shiney for long, but, who cares? lol

i wanted copper, but his boss told him no way.....lol

i had him put a skirt on it the same angle as the mortar on the top of the chimney for some added protection.

Back