I feel an arm-ache coming on (the 031 way)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 031av. Just put a brand new intake boot, crankcase seals, and impulse line in. I already installed the nova module to replace the points and reversed the wires like I heard in a previous post. The carb has been rebuilt about a year ago and both needles are open about 1 turn. I went ot test run it and fine tune the carb and this thing just will not start. I have noticed it doesn't seem to be pumping fuel real good. I think it is just another carb kit but if anyone else has any other ideas, please help me!

Branden Lewis

Are you sure you're getting spark? What happens if you prime the carb with a little fuel mix?

retoocs555 said:
Are you sure you're getting spark? What happens if you prime the carb with a little fuel mix?
It has a very srong blue spark. i sprayed fuel in the carb and it runs than shuts off. S i am pretty sure it is the carb. I just want other guys opinions in case it isn,t the carb.

Be Careful

motorboy said:
i sprayed fuel in the carb and it runs than shuts off.

First off, be careful how much you run it off carb spray. It does not lubricate like the gas/oil mix. How is the new ignition you installed timed? Might be firing at the wrong time. Pretty tough to say though- could be a carb kit. Can you flood it when trying to start it? If so, then its getting gas. Maybe someone else here knows the number of turns on the needle valves to start out with for this model.

Hope this is good advice. I usually hang out in the firewood forum, but thought I'd come over here and give it a shot with you guys tonight.

motorboy said:
I have a Stihl 031av. Just put a brand new intake boot, crankcase seals, and impulse line in. I already installed the nova module to replace the points and reversed the wires like I heard in a previous post. The carb has been rebuilt about a year ago and both needles are open about 1 turn. I went ot test run it and fine tune the carb and this thing just will not start. I have noticed it doesn't seem to be pumping fuel real good. I think it is just another carb kit but if anyone else has any other ideas, please help me!

Branden Lewis

I had an 031 years ago. What you are describing does sound fuel(carb) related. The prob I had with my saw was AV buffers wearing out, they would allow the saw to move enough to ground out the on/off switch. I dought this is your prob. but just FYI. and I agree...start at the fuel filter and work to the carb. If everything else is new and installed correctly, your carb/fuel pick up sounds like the prob..
Good Luck, Ron:cheers:

Back