I feel dumb...anybody else ever done something like this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been there done that but caught it before I fired it up, the distributor went in to easy is what made me look.

Dropped the input shaft into the oil pan on my 302 trying to get it in place.

Once I dropped the pan and got it back, I committed an act of neatness...and accidentally cleaned off the index marks I had made on the distributor.

Man, there just isn't enough time in the world to list all my goof-ups. I had to assemble/disassemble a 55 intake three times yesterday because I forgot something.. fuel line routing, carb linkage, choke knob. And that's a good day!

It's all just part of the rich pageant of life.

the other day I gassed up my saw filled with bar oil then put the cap on the oil res. and proceeded to pick up the saw.
then after I dumped all the gas on my foot put it back down re-filled it. My saw partner says hey dumb:censored: did you just dump gas on your foot. I looked over my shoulder while picking up the saw and said yeah. He was laughing so hard he was red in the face so I looked down and saw the gas cap dangling from the side of the saw........

Man, there just isn't enough time in the world to list all my goof-ups. I had to assemble/disassemble a 55 intake three times yesterday because I forgot something.. fuel line routing, carb linkage, choke knob. And that's a good day!

It's all just part of the rich pageant of life.

Hey Steve, it was a good day because you recognized the missing. A engineering/director once gave his son the pilots have check lists speech because he forgot a record patch cord.

i put a bar on a saw once and forgot the chain....found out when it hit the wood.

I also forgot to fill a car with oil once when doing a change at wal mart.....the guy up top started it and it made a weird noise so he rev'd it a little to find out what is was and then I realized what the problem was and told him to turn it off but he could not hear me....one of the other guys heard me and turned it off for him. We told the owner and he said fill er up and don't worry, i've done that before.....

Last edited:
I've NEVER done anything dumb....

nope.. never..

Uh unh.... not once...

yup.. still batting 1000...

only ever did anything once...

heh...

the way I look at it... I can now break my 80 series chain and put in links in the dark! Some day I'll learn to count right.

I was given a MS 280 recently and when I got it home I fired it up. The noise it made hurt my ears and scared me. I thought it was going to explode.
I checked the piston through the exhuast port and both crank bearings and could not find anything wrong.
My diagnoise was a bad rod bearing. I proceeded to tear it down until the only thing left to remove was the clutch, clutch bell, brake mechanism, and oiler and could not find any thing wrong. The P & C looked new, all bearings were good. Finally I checker the clutch and the spring that runs the oil pump was not as it should be. That is the only thing that I could find wrong. It is hard to believe that it could cause so much noise. I have not got it back together. I hope the new oiler part is the answer.
Everyone who has worked on something has done dumb things, some will admit it and some will not. Tom

Should have seen me putting in that recoil spring you sold me. Spent an hour winding it all up, got the rope all tightened, went to put it on the saw, forgot the :censored: c clip. Tipped up the saw and gave it a shake to seat the pawl.................................wait.............................wait for it...............................................yeah,:censored: KABOOM. Lucky I didn't get it up side of the head.:spam:

i do most of the transmission rebuilding at my job so i cant tell you how many times i would get the transmission all bolted up back into the car and go to put the torque converter bolts in and ......well you can figure out the rest, out comes the transmission again......how many times after replacing drum brake shoes you put the wheels back on and your wondering why the adjuster just keeps turning....works better if you put the drum back on

Well just got back inside after hanging out, outside for the last half hour.

I was waiting for my roomies to get back so they could let me back in the house! I live in a old house 20's vintage with the old school lock that has the two buttons in the edge of the door. Threw the bolt back when I got home and didn't think to see if that was also engaged.

That was my first mistake, second one was when I looked at my keys on the table and fresh beer I had just retrieved, and left them sitting there.DOH!!:clap::clap: for me.

Now the punchline.................................................

I'm A :censored::censored: LOCKSMITH!!!:jawdrop:

Oh well I'm not to bent about it. :censored: happens...

I also forgot to fill a car with oil once when doing a change at wal mart.....the guy up top started it and it made a weird noise so he rev'd it a little to find out what is was and then I realized what the problem was and told him to turn it off but he could not hear me...

At least you weren't dumb enough to blip the throttle on a car with the oil pressure warning light shining brightly.
BTW, I thought the bottom guy drained the oil and replaced the filter, while the top guy filled the oil and checked the air filter.

Back