I feel like such a sissy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sissy

Before lightening strikes, your hair will stand on end. Back of your neck, your arms if you have much. Same happens if you get to close to the big power lines (transmission lines I think they call them). Heck, I would have hung climbing line (should have had that done already) and providing hair was not standing up, would have dropped that top.

OK Just kidding! Pouring rain, I stay up there. I HEAR lightening no matter how far away, we head for the pickup/bucket truck/home.

Think BUG-ZAPPER :dizzy:

Lightning has never really scared me before not like this I have been doing all kinds of things when it started to lightning before. Most of the time I stopped what I was doing but it really didnt bother me. this time it did.

Scares the snot out of me. If you have ever been in a FL storm, you would really be terrified of the stuff. I was mowing a 4 acre field about a month ago and figured.... ahhh I am just going to put on my rain suit and keep trucking. NO WAY the lightning was following me as I was moving. I dumped the mower and jumped in my truck and got out of dodge.

I cannot imagine being in a tree with the stuff with in 15 miles of me.

Good call getting out!!

Better a live sissy than a dead tough guy. I have been 50 feet from a lightning strike to our crane boom. Scared the crap out of me.

Lighting can strike up to ten miles away from a storm, I would have probably came down also, sissy move would have been you coming down for a spider or snake or something like that.

Don't play with Lighting can shoot sideways for 10 Miles and hit somthing have you ever seen what it can do to a Tree Not me at 1 time I would play at it watch it come across IL & Hope I could get down in time NO MORE You can go back up but you will not come back if you get hit
Rftreeman and I think the same

Something about not messing with Mother Nature as a motto and then cutting down her trees for a living just makes me smirk a little...

:greenchainsaw:

Yeah it is a bit hypocritical, I guess a better statement would have been "not messing with mother nature any more then we already do" But honestly as corny as it sounds I do try to respect trees as much as possible, for instance... I am 275lbs and I ALWAYS rope up trees when pruning (yes I know its said here over and over again) But lets be honest 95% of the homeowners dont know the difference. But I do. I dont really think that running up to do a quick prune will damage a tree so bad that it will place it at risk. But IMHO it will make it pretty damn ugly so I dont do it. When I can do try to do whats best for the tree. I have taken money out of my pocket by talking people out of removing trees for the wrong reasons.

I'm in the lightning capital of the world'Tampa bay area.
I am constantly scoping the horizon.If I see any of it anywhere,time to bail,especially if i"m in a tree prone to attracting it;slash pine,tall oak,or a crappy silk oak,the latter one I have seen them blown to bits throwing 4-5 ft chunks 2 doors away,they just kind of explode.

But honestly as corny as it sounds I do try to respect trees as much as possible.

I know you do, I've seen your other posts. And I'm glad you do.

I just couldn't help but laugh a little at the irony of the wording.

How about "Respect your Momma (and her trees)"?

:cheers:

To the "chicken sitting in tree"...... where is your PPE ?

Anyways, you said that having on the metal spikes and wire-core flipline made you extra nervous. Believe me, if the tree was hit by lightning while you were in it, the spikes and flipline would have very little effect on the outcome.......toast is still toast !

Being close enough to see lightning doesn't get my attention to much, but being close enough to hear any thunder, I switch to "storm-safe" mode real quick. I would of bailed too.

To the "chicken sitting in tree"...... where is your PPE ?

Anyways, you said that having on the metal spikes and wire-core flipline made you extra nervous. Believe me, if the tree was hit by lightning while you were in it, the spikes and flipline would have very little effect on the outcome.......toast is still toast !

Being close enough to see lightning doesn't get my attention to much, but being close enough to hear any thunder, I switch to "storm-safe" mode real quick. I would of bailed too.

Metal attracts lightning, 12 foot wire core lightning rod around my waist worried me more then the tree itself getting hit.

this is kinda how I felt
safety.jpg

The chicken has since been fired he went out that night got drunk and didnt show up in the morning. Nothing worse then an undependable chicken

Last edited:
lol, not a cutting story but in college on the golf team, we were doing a practice round in the rain, weather got progressively worse around the
12th hole there was a strike about 50 ft from our group, i was wearing metal spikes in a really wet part of the course and got zapped enuff to
drop me to my knee's. I still remember the feeling and don't like it at all
I wont even go out if i dont have to in a storm any longer. Didn't mean to hijack just a lightening story.

lol, not a cutting story but in college on the golf team, we were doing a practice round in the rain, weather got progressively worse around the
12th hole there was a strike about 50 ft from our group, i was wearing metal spikes in a really wet part of the course and got zapped enuff to
drop me to my knee's. I still remember the feeling and don't like it at all
I wont even go out if i dont have to in a storm any longer. Didn't mean to hijack just a lightening story.

well hell whats better the a golfer that can remove his own tree hazards. Just toss a Jonsered in the golf bag and away you go. All that time I wasted working on a flop shot.

even if you come down go sit in the truck maybe go get a good lunch see if the storm passes no hope of stoppin pack it up get her tomarrow lose the work trucks and go to the bar
lol and talk about how you "almost" got hit by lightning while you were topping this tree today

i ahve seen and removed enough trees that had lightning damage.

i'm down and i think you did the right thing.

Latest posts

Back