I feel like the only one who burns a little coal in the winter

• Thread starter Deleted member 83629
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WVwoodsman, "long ton" the bush cord of the coal world. So how many face cord is that?

Cantoo, I have never thought of that. If I get a long ton, I guess I could stack the bags and find out. I guess it would be about 27.5 bags maybe give or take.

I have been thinking about mixing coal in with the wood in the outdoor boiler to as others have mentioned. Have a old Taylor 450 water stove. Was always wondering about the fact that coal burns hotter than wood if the coal works its way to the bottom in direct contact with that firebox if it would harms the metal?

Your thoughts?

You guys are making me feel bad. As a miner I get an employee discount. Not even sure of the exact price, around $50 dollars a ton AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE ANYTHING SET UP TO BURN IT. I'm a little embarrassed. LOL. It is dirty/sooty and now days most women would absolutely not tolerate the mess. When I was a kid almost everybody here burned coal and dumped the clinkers in the alley behind the house. I took care of our furnace and my great grandmothers furnace. As kids we learned quick to not have a bicycle wreck on clinker roads.
clinkers you say lol

Mr Good Wood, I bought a ton of coal and a stove at an auction sale last year. When I have a big heat draw I shovel 20 lbs or so onto the hot coals. No idea if I get much heat out of it or not but I gotta use it up anyway. It's anthracite little pieces. I got it cheap but I've moved the bags by hand 3 times now so I'm not sure how cheap it is now.

WHEN I bought it, here's how I bought it,

standard.jpg

That's 1,620 pounds in there...all the perfect size to go into my stove.

SR

The only kind available here is soft coal either brown or black it is easy to light and burns like a rubber tires. got only two sizes around also, Kentucky stoker and stove
most of comes out of central Kentucky and northern Kentucky, Nasty stuff i brushed my flue out after burning a ton last year and i had soot everywhere ICK!

Got to keep an eye on it to and keep the damper almost shut otherwise it can go from a simple fire to a raging inferno seems this stuff is quite volatile like diesel soaked firewood :laugh: and with this coal you can't fire it really hot otherwise it will leave you in clinker he**.
th99.jpg

Cantoo

Considering coal has i think a 1000 or more btus per pound than wood. Did yer average burn time with the coal over just wood go up? No issues with the coal hurting the metal on the firebox?

I bought a brand new coal stove this year and just got 5 tons of coal. I am replacing my wood stove on the first floor with it. I will keep the wood stove in the basement.I have read nothing but good about this little stoker,it puts out 7500 BTU's to 90,000 BTU's and is controlled automatically with a coal-troll. The hopper holds 90 pounds of rice coal.The coal puts out about 13,500 BTU's. Will be fun to see how it does.

WHEN I bought it, here's how I bought it,

standard.jpg

That's 1,620 pounds in there...all the perfect size to go into my stove.

SR

Hand picked "block" coal, correct name here is Buffaloville seam. During the winter I see all variations of small trucks and trailers getting just the right size. Nice job.

I've got a Russo coal/wood stove. Was here when I bought the house. I would have tried coal but I can't get the correct basket for it anywhere.

In a coal stove the air comes from beneath the coal. It makes for horrible burn times when it comes to using wood.

It's getting moved out in a month when I get the ideal steel hybrid.

i heat with this in the shed i got a potbelly but it is at the welding shop getting some braze work around the firebox.
it is tiny but it throws out the heat and you can cook on it also.
00S0S_fUiZm2ENkdF_600x450.jpg

Latest posts

Back