I got a new (to me) super xl today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Farmerbuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went to a farm sale and ended up with a superxl saw today. Dont know anything about them but the owners manual, warranty card, chain repair parts, file and filing instructions were all with it. Serial number is 1830529. Anyone know what i have here? How many cc's. Year and all that stuff. Oh yea, it hasnt been used in many years but it fired right up and sounds strong! All info will be appreciated. Thanks I'm waiting for the pics to show up i took with my cell phone.

you got you a tank of a saw there. they are like a dime a dozen here where im at, just cause they last so long. ive owned 2 in my life and both were brutes. best saw homeylite made.

Here you go...

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...57a3b86d6acae4e188256c260048b728?OpenDocument

The Super XL is based on the xl-12, one of the first great lightweight saws ever. They added a few cc's, an auto oiler, and whammy, the super XL was born! They are bullet proof, torquey, yet still fairly light... to this day a great choice for a firewood saw. They have a fun sound, also.

IMHO, the weakest part of this saw (if there is one) is the ignition. However, generic solid state units work well on this saw. Good find!

Here you go...

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...57a3b86d6acae4e188256c260048b728?OpenDocument

The Super XL is based on the xl-12, one of the first great lightweight saws ever. They added a few cc's, an auto oiler, and whammy, the super XL was born! They are bullet proof, torquey, yet still fairly light... to this day a great choice for a firewood saw. They have a fun sound, also.

IMHO, the weakest part of this saw (if there is one) is the ignition. However, generic solid state units work well on this saw. Good find!
Thanks andre. all of the info looks good except for the color scheme. It say red and white but mine is blue and white. i take it i might have got a good buy? I paid one dollar for it!

Nice

I still run my old super XL once in a while dude... Those are GREAT old saws. Man, the low down torque they have is unreal too for a 60cc saw. Almost makes me laugh after running that then running a newer one and how hard you can push'em... Mine bit me in the face above the eye one time though, they'll jump ya so be careful eh?

:cheers:

if you look on the tag where the serial # is there should be a UT # above it i bet it says 10712

which is the SXL automatic oiler old blue version saw

it just comes to show you the quality of the older saws compared to todays versions of saws

Last edited:
Picked 8 of them up a few weeks back and have 5 of them up and running strong.Mostly carb kits,fuel lines filters pullcords and recoil springs . They were the red and black ones. I think the blue and white ones were the early ones but seen one made later as a tribute saw called Olb Blue I think. They are a little noisy but put on the ear muffs and they torque up nicely. Another will be up and running when the p&c gets here. Pioneerguy600

Those are GREAT old saws, reliable as a hammer. I've got a Super and 3 XL-12s and I really like them, granted they are slow, but they are good running saws and there's just something about them feels good in your hands. I think they're real good firewood saws even by todays standards, a design that was way ahead of it's time back in the day for sure.

Thanks for the replys guys. I see the handle on the right side has been repaired. Where should i check for parts? Calvin, i'll check out what you said and let you know, thanks.

Here it is
Homelite.jpg

if you look on the tag where the serial # is there should be a UT # above it i bet it says 10712

which is the SXL automatic oiler old blue version saw

it just comes to show you the quality of the older saws compared to todays versions of saws
There is nothing above the ser number.

Here it is
Homelite.jpg
[/QUOT I have one of those it was my dads my brother has the other on dad had same saw . parts shouldnt be to hard to find there were a lot of them made. Inow that saw had to be made in the 60s early 70s:greenchainsaw: ialso have ared one and the limeted adition ol blue its in mint condition.

I grew up the SuperXL. Currently own 4 one brandy new in the box still. Other 3 look as good as new not even a paint chip. The bottom pic has cut countless cords of firewood. The second pic was my dads he bought new in the seventies.
257694621.jpg

257694604.jpg

257694555.jpg

I grew up the SuperXL. Currently own 4 one brandy new in the box still. Other 3 look as good as new not even a paint chip. The bottom pic has cut countless cords of firewood. The second pic was my dads he bought new in the seventies.
257694621.jpg

257694604.jpg

257694555.jpg
You don't see many with the handle bar wrap still on them! almost all the old saw's I see have Hockey tape on the handle bar.
Actually Hockey tape is a great handle bar wrap! I think I will add some to my saw's as I like a bigger handle to fit my big paw's.

Back