I Got Rolled Over Today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still working the Basin Complex, today on some very steep ground above the river. Stands of tan oaks and redwoods that went down during the fire and shortly after had blocked a walking trail and I was helping some OA scouts clear it. One 30" tan oak had fallen over and was barely hanging on to the slope by part of the root plate, the branches were in the river. I cut the bottom portions away but the slope was so steep, near 100%, that I had to climb up 25' to get to up to the butt to cut the cut the bole free. It would either roll down the slope or we could push it down. That was the plan anyway. I cut the trunk through 5' from the root plate where it was not laying flat on the slope. Then my son and I pushed it down the slope by sitting and pushing with our feet. I was about 2' laterally across the slope from the stump when it broke loose and flipped over, hitting me across the shoulder blades. The according to the scouts who were watching it bent me over so my face was between my knees. The stump, which I guessed weighed around 700lbs, rolled over me and went down the slope and into the river where it made quite a splash.

I made 2 loud groans, one when it first hit me and another when I took its full weight. I didn't even lose my hard hat. I saw the scouts frozen in horror so I made some little comment that let them know I was OK. Cody was running so he didn't see it hit me but he scrambled back up the slope like fox. "

Dude that thing stood on your back for 2 seconds before it rolled over you." Uhm, yeah I know.

We worked on down the trail from there when I got my saw stuck in another oak. I had an axe but I sent Cody back to the truck for another saw. Now that things were quite I realized I was shaking a little even though 15 minutes had gone by. I found two big redwoods that fell during the fire. One was 6' and the other 5' in diameter at best guess. Lots of nice wood and no way to move it.

Anyway this happen at 11:30 this morning and it's now 10:30 at night and I'm beginning to get a bit stiff. I think I'll find the bottle of slowp's miracle cure-all aka ibuprofen and hit the hay.

BTW the nxt time I'm working there I'll take the camera and photo the stump in the water and the redwoods. Night all.

That's nothing. A couple of years ago I cut a Christmas tree (a 5 footer), and it FELL on me. :monkey:
Seriously though, hope you're ok.

That's nothing. A couple of years ago I cut a Christmas tree (a 5 footer), and it FELL on me. :monkey:
Seriously though, hope you're ok.

Picking on 2Dogs and Slowp will get you nowhere on here GROW UP !!!! :buttkick::looser:

Onya mate, ya made it outta the bush. :clap:

My foreman was standing down about 150ft down, and 20ft away from the skyline when the stump pulled, the second bounce landed on his drink bottle which was lying on the ground less 2 ft from him.

That stump with the attached rootmass would have weighed at least 2 ton.

I'm still working the Basin Complex, today on some very steep ground above the river. Stands of tan oaks and redwoods that went down during the fire and shortly after had blocked a walking trail and I was helping some OA scouts clear it. One 30" tan oak had fallen over and was barely hanging on to the slope by part of the root plate, the branches were in the river. I cut the bottom portions away but the slope was so steep, near 100%, that I had to climb up 25' to get to up to the butt to cut the cut the bole free. It would either roll down the slope or we could push it down. That was the plan anyway. I cut the trunk through 5' from the root plate where it was not laying flat on the slope. Then my son and I pushed it down the slope by sitting and pushing with our feet. I was about 2' laterally across the slope from the stump when it broke loose and flipped over, hitting me across the shoulder blades. The according to the scouts who were watching it bent me over so my face was between my knees. The stump, which I guessed weighed around 700lbs, rolled over me and went down the slope and into the river where it made quite a splash.

I made 2 loud groans, one when it first hit me and another when I took its full weight. I didn't even lose my hard hat. I saw the scouts frozen in horror so I made some little comment that let them know I was OK. Cody was running so he didn't see it hit me but he scrambled back up the slope like fox. "

Dude that thing stood on your back for 2 seconds before it rolled over you." Uhm, yeah I know.

We worked on down the trail from there when I got my saw stuck in another oak. I had an axe but I sent Cody back to the truck for another saw. Now that things were quite I realized I was shaking a little even though 15 minutes had gone by. I found two big redwoods that fell during the fire. One was 6' and the other 5' in diameter at best guess. Lots of nice wood and no way to move it.

Anyway this happen at 11:30 this morning and it's now 10:30 at night and I'm beginning to get a bit stiff. I think I'll find the bottle of slowp's miracle cure-all aka ibuprofen and hit the hay.

BTW the nxt time I'm working there I'll take the camera and photo the stump in the water and the redwoods. Night all.
Whew...you got lucky!:clap: I wish I would have gotten that lucky when I got tangled up with a tan oak by Fort Bragg, Ca...Thing sprung around like a rocket:dizzy:hit me in the chest, flew about 15 feet through the air:monkey: with it and it came down on my leg!:jawdrop:Luckily I held on to my saw and cut it off of my leg :chainsaw:as it had me pinned to the ground(got my saw momentarily pinched, but was able to free it and get the block off my leg), butt of tree was about 24-30 inches where it landed on me. went to pick my leg up, and out of the hole that the tree had dug with it and :jawdrop:my lower leg bones were in pieces, foot was flopping:cry:.Rod installed and back to work 7 months later, although I had to miss about another 5 months of work to have the rod removed about 8 months after I had went back to work. Just thought I would share to make everyone remember that you can definitely get hurt out there!:cheers: Be careful,

Cody

Latest posts

Back