I guess the spark arrestor really does work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extraspecialman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
about a week ago the bolt that holds the spark arrestor screen on my 361 fell out so I just pulled the screen out and pitched it.Yesterday I was cuttin up some dead white oak that was about 24 inches across.The sap wood and the little bit of bark left on the tree was really dry,and the muffler was right against it while I was sawin.Every block I sawed turned black and started smolderin.I didnt think much about it,so I straight stacked the wood on the truck and took off the down the highway.About 2 miles down the road goin 50 mph,the wind actually caught 4 of the top blocks on fire and they were flamin on the truck.Luckily I caught it in time and threw em off the truck,but that coulda been bad.With the heat of a muffler against the wood,they mighta caught fire anyhow,cause its been very dry here,but a new spark arrestor screen went back in the 361 today.

Glad it didn't happen after you left where you were cutting!!

Sometimes luck smiles on us all....

I just hope I haven't used up all of my luck.:)

Note to self, replace fire extinguisher in truck, tomorrow

I had some fool juveniles throw some firecrackers off an interstate overpass onto a trailer load of hay the Saturday after the 4th. By the time I got stopped I had two bales of a $1k load on FIRE and that $10 extinguisher that has rattled around under the seat for years was sure a welcome sight.

I had some fool juveniles throw some firecrackers off an interstate overpass onto a trailer load of hay the Saturday after the 4th. By the time I got stopped I had two bales of a $1k load on FIRE and that $10 extinguisher that has rattled around under the seat for years was sure a welcome sight.

Just like a first aid kit... When you need it, you really need it.

Those kids need a good old fashioned country azz whoopin. Nuff said.

thanks for all the replies.Ive been cuttin wood since I was about 13 and have never caught wood on fire.I guess the 361 has yet another purpose.For the record,I did notice a bit more power gain in bigger wood with no screen and retaining bolt,and this winter when Im cutting wood I may remove it again .But for now the screen stays in the saw.Chainsaws and timber cutters get enough bad rep the way it is,we dont need any forest fires

451 F

I had some wood smoldering one day... spark screen intact.
It was the heat of the exhaust..! :)

Glad that worked out or you, yes it could have gone much worse.

-Pat

Latest posts

Back