I hate getting chewed out!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with one of my employers. Today we broke a fiberglass slide on a little playset. I had a climber in the tree and he was zip lining some small chunks down. One hit kind of hard and some how shot over to one side in a spinning flip and took out a small piece of this slide. It wasn't the guys in the trees fault, The ground guy on the rope, had been doing it all day with no problems. I was helping on the rope too. I am responsible and was supervising and took the blame.
It was an accident. Now he's saying noway it was tied off we must of just dropped it. It must of been to big, and on and on. He wasn't there. Anyway I'm looking to buy a small fiberglass ladder if any one has one. Beastmaster

Just got off the phone with one of my employers. Today we broke a fiberglass slide on a little playset. I had a climber in the tree and he was zip lining some small chunks down. One hit kind of hard and some how shot over to one side in a spinning flip and took out a small piece of this slide. It wasn't the guys in the trees fault, The ground guy on the rope, had been doing it all day with no problems. I was helping on the rope too. I am responsible and was supervising and took the blame.
It was an accident. Now he's saying noway it was tied off we must of just dropped it. It must of been to big, and on and on. He wasn't there. Anyway I'm looking to buy a small fiberglass ladder if any one has one. Beastmaster

Sometimes **** happens and you got to man up and take the abuse. That's why tree guys have broad shoulders.

That's the biggest negative to true speed lining IMO, little control on the landing.

What happens is the guys start wanting to have a little fun cause they like they way the #### is coming down.
You have to be careful there, once the guys ripped out the line's anchor branch, it was due to being overzealous and pulling way to hard. It happens with " notch overs" too, ya know when notching stuff and they pull it over before you even get the backcut started.

Now he's saying noway it was tied off we must of just dropped it. It must of been to big, and on and on. He wasn't there. Anyway I'm looking to buy a small fiberglass ladder if any one has one. Beastmaster

Armchair quarterbacking at it's best.

I'm not a tree guy, but I do like cutting them down, splitting them and burning them in my stove. My two cents in this matter is the HO fully expects the professionals he hired to not break his stuff. That's why he hired you, and not the "wife-beater" wearing, Poulan swinging moron in the pickem-up truck. Sometimes stuff happens and you have to man-up and pay for it, while apologizing and telling the HO it was due to an equipment failure and beyond your control. That's good business and good for the arborist profession. Just my 2 cents.

Last night I put an ad in creigs list saying I needed a slide for a child's fort. Ten min. later a lady called and gave me one.
I take it personal and to heart whenever any thing gets damaged on a job. I luckily have never broke anything beside the occasional fence pole or brick. I did knock out all the power in the City of Clairmont once many years ago, but thats a story for another day.
He called me later(the boss) and told me not to stress over it, there was no stress tell he got me going the first time.
Accidents are going to happen, sometimes instead of trying to find some one to blame its better to figure out why it happened, and how are we going to prevent it from happening again. We finished a difficult removal today. One mistake and there would of been many thousand of dollars in damage. Better to have sacrificed a slide to the angry tree gods, then a house i guess.

You did the right thing and karma paid you back. Examining, and later correcting for what went wrong is a smart move. As a HO myself, I can appreciate your trying to make things right with the slide and not hiding it. A Poulan slinging bubba would have done things differently and caused negative opinions towards tree service professionals and the prices they charge for their work / experience. Tree professionals need to keep these things in mind as it only takes a handful of bad PR to screw it up for everyone.

The company that took out my tree, which overhung my roof, was outstanding. They handled the entire job within 2 hours and left nothing behind. Broke one roof tile, which the lead guy replaced with one of my spares after informing me of the errant limb falling damage. That impressed me and reinforced my belief that the decision I made to hire "real" professional "uniform wearing" tree guys was the correct move.

I'm not a tree guy, but I do like cutting them down, splitting them and burning them in my stove. My two cents in this matter is the HO fully expects the professionals he hired to not break his stuff. That's why he hired you, and not the "wife-beater" wearing, Poulan swinging moron in the pickem-up truck. Sometimes stuff happens and you have to man-up and pay for it, while apologizing and telling the HO it was due to an equipment failure and beyond your control. That's good business and good for the arborist profession. Just my 2 cents.

Then why are you posting on Commercial climbing? :dizzy: beat it.:hmm3grin2orange:

Back