I Hate Poison...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um new gloves????:dizzy:

LOL! I didn't know it was in there ya dub!

PI is an oil. If you have been into it, go use COLD WATER and LOTS of DISH-SOAP. Dish soap is designed to bind with oil, so gently scrub the area for a good 10 minutes using cold water and dish soap and a new wash cloth every few minutes..
I personally pop the little blisters, it make it heal faster.It can only spread if the oil trans locates. This is why you gently scrub it off with dish soap.
PI will go right through denim jeans because it wicks like any oil.
PI remains "active", that is, an irritant, for up to 5 years.
This means that even if you kill it off, the oil is there for five years in the soil and duff.

I am something of an expert on PI..sadly..

Ivy, Oak, and Sumac. Just got nailed by one of these beasts on Tuesday while splitting logs, even though I was wearing heavy jeans. Can't take a picture because the big, oozing lesion is on the back of my right calf, about the size of a silver dollar and swollen like a stuffed pig.

Which one is worse and which one do I have working on me? Ivy, Oak, or Sumac? This thing is awful and LOML won't go near it to apply Calamine lotion.

And, is anything else out there waiting for us? :mad:

Feel for ya. When I get it I blister up like a fried pork rind. I hate the Predisone, too, but usually I give up and take it.

Jack

Other Weeds Can Also Attack

Well, after three days, the big lesion is still there and oozing like mad but it hasn't increased in size. I just keep covering it with Calamine lotion every six hours so that I don't scratch it.

I'm surprised it's confined to a small area like this. Usually, I get it in streaks that run everywhere, so I guess I'm lucky this time.

Anybody have any idea what useful purpose this poison plant serves? Must be a curse from the devil. It might have been on one of the logs I was splitting because I checked the area again and can't find anything that looks like it. I called the a PA dermatologist, and she said several noxious weeds can attack humans besides ivy, oak, and sumac. The wet May and June have made it worse than normal.

'Tis the season.:chainsaw:

I get poison ivy just by looking at it. I have found washing with dish soap every few hours keeps it down. I actually let it blister and scrape the juice out and wash a few more times. Ivy oil can be diluted 100:1 and still cause a rash so wash like crazy.

5% Roundup with 17% Ammonium sulfate just makes mine turn chlorotic and starts a new flush of growth unless I catch it in the spring...and then it just delays it.

I have often thought about Urishoil as a "Organic weapon".
Maybe used for skullduggery.
Like maybe incorporate it into the most popular brand of Iranian Laundry powder, and then have a friendly Mullah announce that God will set a Pox upon those who follow the Ayatollah.:D

But that's just cruel.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

but thats just right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
No Real Cure for Poison Ivy

but thats just right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like we are praying for miracles. The "treatment" I am now using, Calamine lotion, is probably 90 years old or more.

Amazing that nothing has been invented to eradicate this poison plant. We live in an age of "high technology" and cannot even cure a poison ivy attack--a common plant that has been around and attacking animals and humans for millions of years.

Want to really suffer? What happens when it reaches and invades your private parts? Anybody have any stories out there to tell about that situation?

I'd post a pic. , but it won't fit the screen!!!!!!!:greenchainsaw:

Want to really suffer? What happens when it reaches and invades your private parts? Anybody have any stories out there to tell about that situation?

luckily it wasnt a bad outbreak, but ive had it before, couple spots of it on the "shaft" (can i say shaft?).. ill be honest, i put a piece of scotch tape over them so they wouldnt spread.. i woke up the next morning wondering why i had tape on my shaft.

A Poison Ivy Horror Story

Here might be the worst case scenario. I was 8 years old and helping grandpa and a hired hand dig a drainage ditch on the family farm near the southwest 40 cornfield.

Naturally, I had a No.2 attack and asked the hired hand where I could go poop. With a sneaky grin, he said, "See that shaded area over there in the woods where a bunch of 3-leaved plants are growing. Go poop there and you can use those plant leaves to wipe your butt."

I did and the poison ivy outbreak started the next day. Within two days my bottom was swollen up all over, my scrotum and shank were twice their normal size, and my temperature reached 104. I was finally unable to walk. Grandpa then took me to a doctor who gave him more flak than an anti-aircraft shell. I had to go back for half a dozen shots and it took over three weeks to recover.

My mother never forgave the hired hand for being so mean nor grandpa for being so negligent. Those men ate her crow for a month. :(

My dad never got it and I've had it perhaps twice in my life. Blows peoples minds when they see me stripping vines barehanded off logs and branches.

just gave in on mine, couldnt take it anymore,all up my forearm and a big rash of it on the inside/armpit of my elbow, horrible spot
rubbed bleach on it!! all chaffed and burns now.. but no more itch:cry: not the healthiest way, but it works, should be dried up tomorrow or the next day, im ready to start bleaching from my elbow down at the end of each day before getting in the truck, i hate this ####

Last edited:
I get all types of Poison Ivy and Oak, BAD. The first thing to relief is to understand how it works. It's an oil that causes the reaction to the skin. It's about the same thickness as 10 weight motor oil. If I know I've been in it I'll wash with a dish detergent, like Palmolive or Joy, it's made to cut grease and oil. If all you have is regular bar soap, use literally a whole bar, with vigorous scrubbing. The sooner washed of the better, but you can usually go about 8 hrs and be OK. A quick wash like after you pee won't do it. Think how much it takes to wash off that nasty black burnt motor oil and you've got it.

This is The Best Advice. And get that dish soap on there with no water. Work the soap in good for a while, then start adding water a bit at a time.

You'll find this the most effective way to get oil (engine or plant!) off your skin, or out of your clothes. Get the soap working well, then the water. If the soap has done its job, it won't matter much whether you wash with hot water or cold, as far as getting the urishiol off goes.

As for the hot water thing for the rash, I've used that for years for mosquito & flea bites. Works great. I never knew why, though.

This is The Best Advice. And get that dish soap on there with no water. Work the soap in good for a while, then start adding water a bit at a time.

You'll find this the most effective way to get oil (engine or plant!) off your skin, or out of your clothes. Get the soap working well, then the water. If the soap has done its job, it won't matter much whether you wash with hot water or cold, as far as getting the urishiol off goes.

As for the hot water thing for the rash, I've used that for years for mosquito & flea bites. Works great. I never knew why, though.

Mark,

Heat breaks up the Histamines that are built up in the affected area, and gives relief untill they build up again. A couple Benedryl to inhibit Histamine production and then the heat treat is about the only way I get any sleep during much of pruning season.

The downside of the heat is increased weeping of the localized reaction though, and I figured out a trick to keep from sticking to the sheets.

Diprolene on a Telfa pad held in place with the top of a tube sock or ace bandage.

My biggest irritation is getting the Urishiol soaked into the boots or tenny runners, and then working in water/ mud that soaks the foot.
Ya gotta just toss 'em. I had three infections in a row one summer before I figured it out. The stuff gets into the leather,then all ya gotta do later is sweat soak the sock and you're hosed. Leather gloves are no better.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I was mega alergic when I was a kid about 10 or so then grew out of it in my teens to the point of being able to pull it up bare handed. Then in my late 30's, I found out that the alergy had came back, with a vengence. I found out while pulling some up for the wife in a flower bed and I had it all everywhere, yes, even there. The best thing that we've found to wash the oil off is Dawn dish soap, as mentioned before, with a scrub brush and lots of cool water after the soap. I even run the dish soap through the pressure washer to wash it off of equipment that's been run through the PI to stop the secondary contact.

I had NEVER had a problem with it till last year.... I was power washing all ov our quads after a run down by the local river...WOW!!! COVERED in it!!!! Took about 2-4 weeks before I got everthing cleaned up. Now...seems like I get it very easy.

Last weekend I was hard after a squirell in the back lot and had shorts on...well...I have itched my lower legs bloody since then, but NOTHING like last year!!!!!

Back