I hate sanding!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
klingspor sterate sandpaper. I have been using this stuff for +15 years. Best that I have used.

I would take my glued up panels to a local cabinet shop to get sanded on a large belt sander to say 80 grit. I then use a palm sander with 80,150,220 grits.

Chris

I am a big fan of the Klingspor sandpaper. I have tried several different one from them and had good luck with all of them. Beats the hell out of the stuff you get from Home Depot.

I am a big fan of the Klingspor sandpaper. I have tried several different one from them and had good luck with all of them. Beats the hell out of the stuff you get from Home Depot.
In my last post those were all klingspor sandpapers. I was trying to figure out which one people were recommending. I didn't know they made so many.

I usually use the heavyweight a/o. They seem to last a long time. I have used several of the others you listed as well. I would suggest ordering a few of each and see for yourself.

Thanks everyone. I plan on using the scraper more. I have a shoulder issue that comes and goes. I need to have some sandpaper for when I can't run the scraper.

Guys guys guys. Good to be back! Get yourselves a pair of Rockwell/Porter Cable 505 1/2 sheet sanders and go to town after your router planing op. No swirls. One in each hand. Sand real smooth a slab 55" x 100" in a couple hours, Get your grits online through woodworkers supply and buy bulk. Don't forget those rubber-like cleaning blocks for your belts. 505 bottom. New aquisition the Flexander center. 33.5" x 2" belt does curved work like a charm. Circa 69.DSCN0371.JPG

Hey Betterbuilt, the floor sander you say you have, Im assuming its a 16 inch buffer? Were you using sandpaper on on it or a screen?

Guys guys guys. Good to be back! Get yourselves a pair of Rockwell/Porter Cable 505 1/2 sheet sanders and go to town after your router planing op. No swirls. One in each hand. Sand real smooth a slab 55" x 100" in a couple hours, Get your grits online through woodworkers supply and buy bulk. Don't forget those rubber-like cleaning blocks for your belts. 505 bottom. New aquisition the Flexander center. 33.5" x 2" belt does curved work like a charm. Circa 69.View attachment 392085
Long time no see. Its not the swirls that was getting me it was the time. I bought a 50 inch drum sander so the majority of the work is done. The paper I had just wasn't lasting long enough to pay for it's self. I tried one of the PC sheet sanders and the padding under the paper was so old it turn to dust in a matter of seconds. I like my orbital. I ordered paper from klingspor the other day.

Hey Betterbuilt, the floor sander you say you have, Im assuming its a 16 inch buffer? Were you using sandpaper on on it or a screen?
I ended up buying one similar to this one. I have used it in the past and it worked well, but the scratches it made were pretty deep. I found if you start with say 80-100 it worked okay, but I still ended up spending hour/ days sanding.

The best sander I had was 10 bucks an hour. but he doesn't drive so I had to go pick him up and take him home. Good kid just not worth the effort.
DSCN0044-3.JPG

Seriously I would like to see some scraper shaving. Something I can compare and aspire too. I remember when I first started using them I got really fine delicate shaving. Now I'm getting small shavings, but mostly dust. I still haven't found my burnisher. I've been using a screwdriver. It doesn't work as well as the burnisher.

Ncpete. I know what a spoke shave is for. I just watched a video on youtube and was reminded I have one but rarely use it for work. I mostly use it for making fire starter.

Seriously I would like to see some scraper shaving. Something I can compare and aspire too. I remember when I first started using them I got really fine delicate shaving. Now I'm getting small shavings, but mostly dust. I still haven't found my burnisher. I've been using a screwdriver. It doesn't work as well as the burnisher.

Ncpete. I know what a spoke shave is for. I just watched a video on youtube and was reminded I have one but rarely use it for work. I mostly use it for making fire starter.

yeah, burnisher is definitely a worthwhile purchase - lost mine while doing a shop move to a former partner. Lost some other tools too, a lot of them were bigger than a burnisher. This reminds me that I have a mallet I could stand to use my shave on to add some more shape to the turned handle.

I ended up buying one similar to this one. I have used it in the past and it worked well, but the scratches it made were pretty deep. I found if you start with say 80-100 it worked okay, but I still ended up spending hour/ days sanding.

The best sander I had was 10 bucks an hour. but he doesn't drive so I had to go pick him up and take him home. Good kid just not worth the effort.
View attachment 392106
That is a beautiful slab!
I guess, working on something that big for finish - I would rent some time on a 50" TimeSaver. WOW that is nice. any pics of it finished?

Latest posts

Back