I have an ash tree crisis!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own 700 feet along the field. The guy who ownes the other 1000ft plus behind me doesn't care about my neighbors power lines at all. Out of the 700 feet I own probably 400 is along the line.

In that case I'd just leave those trees alone and do the others. If they are all along that line, then your SOL.

O i agree. And if i were him I'd be out there cutting them since I gave him permission to do so. I probably have 20 he needs to drop but I have 20 way bigger ones hanging around my house and then way more I need to address. My MIL rents an apartment from him so I'm not trying to create a bad situation. The apartment is in the same shape as his power line and I have to fix stuff there. He's a y fix it if it ain't broke kind of guy.

Once all this brush dies down I need to hit this hard. Ive had poison ivy continuously all summer and the trees make my anxiety very bad. Some days a tree is nothing and other days each tree feels like im climbing a mountain. Windy nights aren't great either.

Looks like you've got something to help stack logs already but maybe drop a bunch and go rent a mini skid for a day? You can move a lot of wood with a mini in no time!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yea im managing with my little Massey Ferguson but I do wish i had a skidsteer or my old ford tractor I sold. Something with a bit more hydraulic power and more weight so its less tippy. The wife won't let me buy anything. I remember when I posted about what tractor to buy and it was a big long many page post. I ignored everyone who said get a big tractor and now I wish I did lol

can't explain how many trees I need to take down. Ive taken down over 100 trees. I had the local tree company here today for the second time this summer. Im still waiting on asplunda to take down trees near the power lines that i haven't taken down. Im like 5 years out on fire wood. Then I've had a few other non ash trees fall down due to ants. I offered the tree company more money to cut more trees and they said they were to busy. I have at least 50 more 70 plus feet tall ash trees to cut. Did I mention that they are all within falling distance of my house? I'm in ash tree hell. How do you store 10 years worth of fire wood? I bought the house in the woods in the country for the privacy and awesomeness with the hope of a few cords of fire wood a year. I used to love chainsaws and tree cutting. Now i really hate trees...lol
Just like U&A says.
Cut it, split it, stack it and cover the tops of the stacks (no tarps).
Ash has been dying from EAB for many years now.
Millions upon millions of trees across North America. You're not alone.
As for ants, they don't kill the trees, they just utilize the dead or dying wood to excavate out nesting spots.
That usually means the tree has been dying for some time now.
Just doing their job, breaking down dead wood, even if tree is still partially living.
I'd be selling some of that Ash.
It goes for good cash here. $350/cord (picked up).
You aren't far from me there in NY state. Lots of sellers there getting decent cash for firewood.
Put an ad up on Kijiji after you have some stacked, see what happens.

Scrounge all the old roofing tin you can stack in log form.and just nail the tin to the log piles to shed the water and snow off..... Or get a mill and mkae your own post and beam shed roofs.

Just like U&A says.
Cut it, split it, stack it and cover the tops of the stacks (no tarps).
Ash has been dying from EAB for many years now.
Millions upon millions of trees across North America. You're not alone.
As for ants, they don't kill the trees, they just utilize the dead or dying wood to excavate out nesting spots.
That usually means the tree has been dying for some time now.
Just doing their job, breaking down dead wood, even if tree is still partially living.
I'd be selling some of that Ash.
It goes for good cash here. $350/cord (picked up).
You aren't far from me there in NY state. Lots of sellers there getting decent cash for firewood.
Put an ad up on Kijiji after you have some stacked, see what happens.

I live in a rural part of WNY. Im about 30 minutes from any suburb. 70 a face cord is the average price and if not delivered it will sit for a while. Ive seen it go for 50 a face cord. In the suburbs yes I could get 125 a face cord and deliver it and get 175. Everyone burns wood out here and there's a lot of dead ash everywhere.

We will see what happens once I cut a bunch down, maybe I'll split it and try to sell some.

Ill add, based on my own experience.... No need to cut and split... Ash will keep for years in log form if you get it off the ground. The bark will eventually fall off on its own and any that doesn't get it off otherwise the wood will start to get punky.

Ive processed Ash that had been down for at least 5 years that didn't have a lick of rot or punk.

If I could get over the border I’d come down and help you. I’m directly across Lake Ontario from you in Bowmanville. I’ve dropped tons of these. From the angel most of your pictures have been taken, I don’t see really any areas that a tree couldn’t be dropped.

If I could get over the border I’d come down and help you. I’m directly across Lake Ontario from you in Bowmanville. I’ve dropped tons of these. From the angel most of your pictures have been taken, I don’t see really any areas that a tree couldn’t be dropped.

They are all manageable. I have had the tree service here and take down all the ones that needed a bucket truck to do. The rest can all be dropped with a rope or just cut with the exception of 2 right against the power lines and within falling distance of my house. If I had someone to help me and to turn it into a fun project they would be done already. The wife doesn't really care and my dad has helped with a couple but mostly its me climbing, roping, pulling, cutting, and cleaning up. After I've done the whole process myself several times its a bit hard to trust someone else to do the felling part and no one wants to help with clean up lol. I can drop them but the extra confidence and experience from another person is what I really need. Ive been forced to learn tree cutting over the last few years. Cutting fire wood is one thing, removing a forest is another.

Not to intentionally add to your anxiety, Mustang71, but apparently in some states the owner of a tree can be liable for any damages it causes. In other less strict states, a tree owner might not be responsible for all damages from a healthy tree but can be liable for the damage caused by a known distressed or dead tree even though there is an intervening act of nature. I don't know the law in your area, but I believe the applicable law may be in the second category based solely on this dated legal blog that I found using Google: https://rosenblumlaw.com/fallen-tree-who-is-responsible/ If this is the law in your area then you may have some legal exposure for any damage your neigbor experiences from your dead Ash trees. For up-to-date and accurate legal advice you should check with a NY lawyer. You should also check with your insurance company to make sure you have insurance coverage for damages caused by these dead trees - both liability and casualty coverage.

Ron

Ill add, based on my own experience.... No need to cut and split... Ash will keep for years in log form if you get it off the ground. The bark will eventually fall off on its own and any that doesn't get it off otherwise the wood will start to get punky.

Ive processed Ash that had been down for at least 5 years that didn't have a lick of rot or punk.

At this point I'll do my best to leave them in log form and keep them off the ground. Ive had great success with leaving them un covered and off the ground. I left some on the ground and with tin on top and they were real wet after 2 years. The ground is the enemy. If its a snow free cold fall I should be able to accomplish that much.

Not to intentionally add to your anxiety, Mustang71, but apparently in some states the owner of a tree can be liable for any damages it causes. In other less strict states, a tree owner might not be responsible for all damages from a healthy tree but can be liable for the damage caused by a known distressed or dead tree even though there is an intervening act of nature. I don't know the law in your area, but I believe the applicable law may be in the second category based solely on this dated legal blog that I found using Google: https://rosenblumlaw.com/fallen-tree-who-is-responsible/ If this is the law in your area then you may have some legal exposure for any damage your neigbor experiences from your dead Ash trees. For up-to-date and accurate legal advice you should check with a NY lawyer. You should also check with your insurance company to make sure you have insurance coverage for damages caused by these dead trees - both liability and casualty coverage.

Ron

I have allstate and have read online about trees and I need to take them down lol. As for money I dont have any and my neighbor can sue me but that probably won't go that great. They would probably go after the insurance company which would fight it. Im all for helping and they are my trees but they have been hanging over his property for over 30 years.

Ron
This is highly dependent on many factors, my neighbors tree fell and took out a section of my roof. He had been served legal notice that the tree needed removed, as it was a danger to adjoining property from my lawyer and the township.(multiple letters from the township code enforcement officer) When it fell, even with (what I thought) proper procedure in place so I was covered, my home owners insurance still had to foot the bill. Needless to say I was not happy, as I had offered (at my expense) to have the tree removed before this happened. From what I was told this is normal practice. Guess I could have sued him in civil court, but didnt have the time or money for that.

This is highly dependent on many factors, my neighbors tree fell and took out a section of my roof. He had been served legal notice that the tree needed removed, as it was a danger to adjoining property from my lawyer and the township.(multiple letters from the township code enforcement officer) When it fell, even with (what I thought) proper procedure in place so I was covered, my home owners insurance still had to foot the bill. Needless to say I was not happy, as I had offered (at my expense) to have the tree removed before this happened. From what I was told this is normal practice. Guess I could have sued him in civil court, but didnt have the time or money for that.

I am all for taking the trees down and offered to help if he had an actual plan. Pushing low against the lean is a terrible plan. Get a price to take them down and if i like it I might agree to half but he has no plan and wants to put it on me and the guy who owns the land behing me. Ill get to it eventually and the guy behind me doesn't care. I want it to all be friendly and such but I've been here 7 years and he's been here 51.. whose issue is it..

I had a maple tree fall on his power line a few weeks ago and take out a pole so he says. It was all standing when I left for work..but anyways the power company spliced the line and i cleaned up the tree and cleared all newer trees along his line. He replaced the pole and didn't cut any of the branches above it before he replaced the pole. I said something and they laughed about it. I can only do so much. I would have trimmed the tree if I wasn't at work.

Latest posts

Back