I have an old 1984 Ford F800 Hi-Ranger bucket truck.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tompands

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
That needs some help. It was my back up truck until an idiot blew the engine 2 years ago. It's been sitting for 2 years and we just finally got the time to put an engine in it. Everything under the hood is new. It runs great. I engaged the PTO and started checking the Hydraulic system. I figured , sitting 2 years , I might run into some problems.....and , of course , I did. Everything worked, as it always did, except the turntable. I lifted the lower boom and that thing made a right turn on it own , like to scare the $hit out of me. I tried to bring it back but it wouldn't move. We removed the cab shield to get the engine out and my intentions were to pick the shield up and set it back in place. That didn't happen. The boom is straight to the side right now. This ever happen to anybody ?? What should I be looking for on the turntable.

We can talk if you want to,but since it's not the political forum, wouldn't you like people telling you what to do that actually have an idea how it's supposed to work?
Only thing that I ever had happen to me that comes close,but not really,put some steel ball into a Char-Lynn power assist,when you turned left,I ran into my barn on the right.
Guess we talked.Enjoy your day

That needs some help. It was my back up truck until an idiot blew the engine 2 years ago. It's been sitting for 2 years and we just finally got the time to put an engine in it. Everything under the hood is new. It runs great. I engaged the PTO and started checking the Hydraulic system. I figured , sitting 2 years , I might run into some problems.....and , of course , I did. Everything worked, as it always did, except the turntable. I lifted the lower boom and that thing made a right turn on it own , like to scare the $hit out of me. I tried to bring it back but it wouldn't move. We removed the cab shield to get the engine out and my intentions were to pick the shield up and set it back in place. That didn't happen. The boom is straight to the side right now. This ever happen to anybody ?? What should I be looking for on the turntable.
It happened to me in an old Asplundh bucket the SOB See if it has a chain broke the rotation chain and threw me into power lines!!! If it uses a rotation chain it broke otherwise if it uses gears they broke! You can pull it back with a rope if this is the case. Thank your lucky stars it didn't break when you were aloft!

The only ones I worked on had a cylinder attached to a chain. As was mentioned likely your chain broke or. Thank goodness that you were not at a vulnerable situation. The large chain can be purchased by many sources. Hopefully it will be an easy fix. Mine is a 1967 cab over and still running strong. A rebuilt new process, Cl 9000 rear end, and the fourth engine that I know of. Got tired of finding parts for the original 332, 392 and stuck a 390 in it. Mine got up to 10 MPG with a 40,000 lb load. Thanks

Back