I have head ache about 2 cycle oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGG

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After reading some of the recent posts my head is throbbing. I have always used either Stihl or Husky brand chainsaw oil. Now it seems that the synthetic "motorcycle" oil is a gazillion times better. Are we splitting hairs on this? I think I need a beer or three!

I use Husky, Echo, or Stihl oil. I run synthetic oil in my vehicles ....

Way I see it, if the oil you're using works, why change?

I like opti-2. Way back when I first tried it, my weedwhacker seemed to run better on the opti. That's my first choice now. Don't know much about it, except that it produces very little smoke and that there's been enough demand for it that the local market carries it now. They also carry chains and files and log rules...lotsa loggers running around these woods.

I mix it a tad heavy. I short the gallon to .8 or .9 and use the oil for a full gallon.

My saw shop guy and logger with chainsaw racing experience, hadn't heard of it.

But then I'm a hobby sawboy. AND the only hard and fast rule I stand up and fight for is that you should always use SOME OIL IN THE MIX.:deadhorse:

Just don't use deactivated fuel. I suppose there's a way to activate fresh gasoline. Ya gotta activate your gasoline.

the way I see it is, chainsaw oil is meant for chainsaws. Motorcycle oil is meant for motorcycles, and outboard is meant for outboards. I'm not going to run rv antifreeze in my Jeep, or vegetable oil in the crankcase of my Jeep, nor am I going to run anything but chainsaw 2 stroke oil in my chainsaw. Thats my 2 cents

Agreed on the head-spinning... the gist seems to be; higher ratios=cleaner combustion chamber, lower ratios=better lubed bottom end. Choose your poison, I guess.

After reading some of the recent posts my head is throbbing. I have always used either Stihl or Husky brand chainsaw oil. Now it seems that the synthetic "motorcycle" oil is a gazillion times better. Are we splitting hairs on this? I think I need a beer or three!

Only if you are worried about the little extra cost!!!

A gazillion? Nope..

Stihl's own data about Stihl Ultra, relative to "dino oil".

Lubrication - 120% - Not a huge margin better.
Cleaning - 280% - Much better.

Back