I Have My Heart Set On Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDailyStroke

Reaction score
I really want to log. My dad has been logging for years. I really want to start, but, I don't want to work for my dad. I have nothing against it, I would just rather work for myself. What do you guys think is the best avenue to start getting the equipment that I need to start working? All that I own right now is a saw. Just an old Husqvarna Black-Top. I don't want to take that thing out in the woods and try to depend on it. I would rather have a 044 or 046 Stihl. I think that I would be fine just starting out with a cable loader truck and then mover onto a knuckleboom and regular logtruck. I do not own any skidder, skidsteer or anything capable of moving timber. See if the wise advice on AS can help me out. Thank you, everyone.

Work for your dad and see if this is what you really wnat to do before you buy equipment. Its your dad and Im sure he would not mind teaching you his trade.

I'm sure that this is true. He would love to teach me everything he knows. Out here in North Carolina we really don't have much of the high output logging going on. No feller-bunchers or anything like that is used around here. Everyone is skidder and sawman on the ground oriented. My dad works as a one man team. He usually gets about one load out of the woods a day. Which just suits him, because, he farms and sawmills on the side. I have some other operations that I could probably seek employment with. Just not sure if I would want to work with anyone else that would not be willing to teach me as thoroughly as my flesh and blood. Do people still use the cable loader trucks a lot in the industry?

I saw those cable loader deals on the discovery show...they look like a good way to get maimed or worse.

Assuming you have the aptitude for the work, and a good work ethic..

You want to go out on your own, it takes MONEY. Build credit. Buy a cheap truck, like $4k or less, pay it off with no late payments. Take out a credit card, secure it with a bank cd if you need to. PAY IT OFF IN FULL EVERY MONTH.

While you make these payments, seek out and make written contracts for several good sized timber lots. Find GOOD WOOD, do NOT sign up low dollar stuff. Buy it right, put it in writing. Make sure you put it in the contract that the landowner will pay you $1500 in cash to break the contract before you have been able to make $3000 in profit from the job. This will keep them from dropping you before you get there.

When you have made regular on-time payments to the cc for 18 months, and the truck loan is paid off in the same time frame....then approach the same bank about an equipment loan.
Buy a $10K machine, and 2 new saws.

There is plenty of logging in nc. Same with the other eastern states. The south produces more than the rest of the countries regions . Work for your dad, then maybe yall will get 2 or 3 loads out. If you have no experience other than your dads a logger, well thinking going into business yourself is a freakin pipe dream..

If you help your dad, do a good job. Dont leave a mess. There has been alot of land cleared around here and they leave a huge mess. Take pride in your work. When people see that you do a good job they will recomend you and or call you.

Ahhh, the good ol father and son fued!
Iv worked With my dad logging, moving furniture, and sawmilling since i was 13 (im almost 18 now)
I work like flying colors with everyone around me. But my father and i are at neck and neck all the time about the stupidist things. I can understand about not wanting to work with your father.
But I LOVE everything about logging! I love operating machines, sawing boards, cutting trees, and rebuilding/collecting chainsaws.... but i would much rather do all of them myself!

Haha thats like me, i work for my ole man and have since i was like 11...when he starts gettin mouthy i just flip my ear muffs down haha

been where you are buddy. if you really wanna get into it then you have a long way to go. you cant just decide you want to log one night and go to work the next morning. the sad part is most upstarts end up with dangerous old wore out junk in an already dangerous work setting. saw felling is dangerous as hell, anything with a cable is dangerous as hell. when you take inexperience and add that in you have a recipe for getting maimed or killed.

sharpen your skills, and keep sharpening. the day you have it figured out is the day all hell usually breaks loose. no shame in working for your dad and learning the trade. Ive been at it for 10 years and my father is a 30+ year veteran, there are some things you just cant learn in a year or two.

find a decent old knuckle boom ,cable skidder, and an old cab over truck with a 40 foot trailer. hunt a procurement forester who is willing to let you work until you can afford some general liability. upgrade as necessary.

take or leave what ive said here, but i do get to run a shinney new loader and buncher everyday, and stuff a couple green backs in my pocket on fridays. lol

If'n ya can deal with yer pa, work with him awhile, learn what you can from him but don't take it as the gospel truth. Give it at least 6 months, then go talk to the other old farts esp. the ones getting older and see if they would like the help, Watch listen and shut up, Allot of logging is skill based learn what you can from everyone you can. But jumping right in with equipment payments hanging over your head and very little experience is a sure way to fail miserably. I'm guessing your young so burning a few years as a wage slave won't matter in the long run, trust me if I had the connections I would use every single one of em. Good luck and look up

I appreciate all of the advice and I'll give it some thought. I would never just go in and try to finance a bunch of junk to begin with. Do not have the capital for that. Haha, but I really appreciate the feedback and I'll decide soon enough.

I appreciate all of the advice and I'll give it some thought. I would never just go in and try to finance a bunch of junk to begin with. Do not have the capital for that. Haha, but I really appreciate the feedback and I'll decide soon enough.

Good idea. It's a lot better to not be logging and wishing that you were than it is to be logging and wishing that you weren't. :laugh:

i agree with just about everyone on here.

i don't have any experience logging, but i have been working for my father for half my life and in that time we know what the other is thinking without communicating. he and i are much more efficient than he and my brother, or anyone else. I am much more efficient with him than i am with anyone else. and now he is doing less and i am slowly taking over. plus it's working with your blood which can be frustrating, but it is also great

Being from California it sounds funny hearing someone advice buying an old log truck. There are none in Cali due to smog regs. If you want a cable loader log truck I can get you one for free, you just have to move it to NC.

There is not much old equipment in Cali either. Smog again. Pretty soon there will be annual smog checks for heavy equipment and no one will be able to start any business that requires equipment without buying new. How well will that work?

Back