I hope this isn't anyone here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Child Protective Services would have a field day with this guy. He would be on the front page of the paper with CPS removing the child from his custody. The taxpayers would be feeding him for a few weeks. After that his time with the child would be supervised at his cost.

AHHHH Yes!

Child Protective Services- A group of government busybodies who have to keep finding more and more to cry "The sky is falling!" about in order to keep themselves working!
Started out as a VERY good thing and has become continually more intrusive ever since.

Mike

Ya just can't fix stupid.

Whats so stupid? The dad had all the weight and there was no chance of kickback. I hope one day my son or daughter can come out and cut wood with me.

But wait wait HE WASNT WEARING EAR MUFFS! O god he is going to be deaf soon!:hmm3grin2orange:

AHHHH Yes!

Child Protective Services- A group of government busybodies who have to keep finding more and more to cry "The sky is falling!" about in order to keep themselves working!
Started out as a VERY good thing and has become continually more intrusive ever since.

Mike

Absolutely. My wife and I do foster care and half of the kids we have had should have never been taken. They have to pull kids out of homes to keep themselves employed, it's sick. It's the most unconstitutional thing the government does as well...

I'd be yelling IF the dad was running the camera and just watching while the kid lifted the saw onto the log and started cutting.

The dad had VERY good control of that saw. Like others said the tip of the bar wasn't any where near any thing to hook on. The way the log was set up there wasn't going to be and binding to catch the top of the chain to throw the saw back. At the end of the cut it was clear that the dad had FULL CONTROL OF THE SAW. Yes the chain needed sharpening. Yes the saw ran WO without a load. Yes there should have been ear and eye protecdtion.

I can't remember when I first ran a chainsaw. I think I was 14. I told my dad if he'd buy a saw I'd run it. We got a John Deere 55v. Did you know that it didn't come with a chainbrake!! My oh MY.... tis tis... I have all of my fingers and have never broken a bone.

I learned what I know today because I grew up in the garage around mechanical items. If something doesn't work I take it apart.

Oh....by the way...I use an impact wrench to pull clutches...... tis tis....I know I shouldn't because the AS police say that I shouldn't.....

I'm sure all of you guys that pick out vids are VERY careful.......

Would you rather be the kid of a Dad who teaches you how to be useful, and a man in life, or one that does this to ya.....

michael_jackson_baby.jpg

:taped:

No but seriously, I myself just had my 3.5 Y/O Girl using my STIHL. I did however have her put my helmet and ear protection on, and I had a small log lined up with nothing around to hit the tip of the bar. I also only used 1/8-1/4 throttle and had two firm hands on the saw. I think what this guy did was ok, however things could have been done more sensible. But it's not my place to say either way...:alien2:

With mainstream media nowadays, he should have thought this through juuuust slightly more. Posting a vid like this at least give him hearing protection, helmet, glasses....make it look like holding the saw is a close second in terms of safety.

I agree there was no imminent danger with what was shown but the kid has no idea of what can happen in a millisecond with that saw, sure he's gonna smile.

I have a 2 1/2 YO boy and I love to let him try different things....cordless drivers, wasting tape on the Brother P-touch..:dizzy:.....watching me sharpen the chain on the 372...yeah...fun time, his face lights up.

When I was 4, I remember walking into our backyard and my parents were cleaning up leaves. They were using a walk-behind blower with a long hose on the front to clear out the tight areas.

I vividly remember staring at the analog clock in the front seat on my way to the hospital (still remember this today) to have a piece of stick removed from the very corner of my eye, was shot out of the discharge and my mom tells me I was across the yard on the patio..luckily no permanent damage

I couldn't imagine how I would feel if this happened to one of my toddlers. Point i'm making is, if the event of something to go south, at least know you took some precautions first. Don't kick yourself later for something you could have easily prevented.

The look on the dad's face is awesome....I can't wait to hold a saw with my boy...but i'm gonna dress him with more gear first.

AHHHH Yes!

Mike

I don't know how it works in KY but in Cali if CPS takes your child it means you are guilty. You have to go to court to prove your innocense. Not the other way around. Teachers are told to look for scratches or bruises on their students and to call CPS if they suspect a child has been injured. Boys who play Pop Warner or soccer and boys who play rough with one another are often taken from their parents just because they have normal day to day fun. A bruise means a criminal act has occured.

AHHHH now come on guys! i started helping my dad in the log woods when i was 12 first time i used a saw it was a 290 with a 16" bar (I was the happiest kid in the world!!!) I was 13
There ya go! I dont see any danger in this, nothing is near the kickback zone? The adult is holding all the weight all the kid is probably doing is controlling the throttle. And that Chainsaw cant be any louder than kids have there Ipods and Tv's haha!

I don't see a problem with a father sawing with his son. Even at that age. It was obvious the father was in real control but no eye protection!!!!!
The kid is in the direct line of fire at his height. I could let go on the hearing protection for one cut but what would it hurt to pick up a pair of glasses.

I don't know how it works in KY but in Cali if CPS takes your child it means you are guilty. You have to go to court to prove your innocense. Not the other way around. Teachers are told to look for scratches or bruises on their students and to call CPS if they suspect a child has been injured. Boys who play Pop Warner or soccer and boys who play rough with one another are often taken from their parents just because they have normal day to day fun. A bruise means a criminal act has occured.

That's the way it works here too!

What really burns me is if your ex-wife, mother-in-law or neighbor gets po'ed at you all they have to do is pick up the phone, dial 7 numbers and harrass you for the next 6 months at the states expense. We call it "state sponsored harrassment" here, and there is NO recourse.
CPS will not give you the name of the person filing the report no matter how many unfounded complaints they make.
Someone files a report against you, it takes them 15 minutes max and they get to just sit back and laugh every time the gestapo's car pulls into your driveway, while you get to live under the microscope for however long it takes for the social worker to determine that the complaint is warrantless.

6 year old running a chainsaw

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kQv79Vxoz5U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Looks like the chains not very sharp, ya that kid is way to small to be in that situation.

that kid should be learning how to use a maul and how much it hurts when you miss and hit your leg
i remember throws days..
and at 6yo he should have a toy.. like a 35cc poulan hehe

The kid should have ear and eye protection. Other than that I don't see anything wrong with it.

It looks like Dad is keeping a good eye on him. And look at the grin on that little guy's face.

I agree with Moparman 100%

I'm glad my dad taught me work and safety as a young child. My brother was'nt so lucky. He was always with mom, shopping on the weekends and such. I was driving tractors when I was 6, shooting 20 gauge shotguns at 8, and driving 3-spd column shift fords at 10. Now I'm 30 yrs old and work 60+ hours a week while my brother is hooked on drugs and partying every night while being unemployed. He's never drove a tractor or hit a lick at anything. I pray that he'll grow up one day. It's bad that he don't know how to do anything. I always do any work on my vehicles when they need it and he can't even change oil.

Dad always taught me safety first though. I remember the first time I shot a 20 gauge. I had only shot 22s up until that. I was afraid it would kick me too hard so he sticks the butt to his forehead and pulls the trigger. :msp_biggrin: You may call that dumb too, but I wasnt afraid of the 20 gauge after that.
I learned alot of things from a young age. When I turned 16, I passed all of my driving courses with flying colors. I was round baling hay at 13 yrs old and impressing even the older guys. I'm proud of what I can do and that my dad cared enough about me to teach me the things I needed to know in my life.

Now I will say that the video shown here may have been a little extreme in a way. But he looked to have control of the saw. I was taught on a homey 330 and was about 11 when I first ran it. Dad seemed to put sawing up near the top of dangerous things for me to do and for good reason. Until this day, he never lets me go to the woods by myself. He always has to come with me even if it's just to watch.

I hate to imagine kids in a few generations. I just don't see how the world can keep turning.

Last edited:
Fortunately for me, I grew up on a farm well before the days where CPS was a problem. My father was ex-military was not afraid to put me into situations but always under his supervision. He had me driving tractors, combines and hay balers when my age was still in the single digits. Can you think of having a nine-year old doing that today? I cannot recall the age I was when I dropped my first tree with his (now mine) XL 12. All I do remember was that there was a bees' nest in it. IIRC might have been 11-12 at the time. Never had a brush with death. It taught me to recognize danger, think ahead and keep my mind on what I was doing. We have become a bit soft and in lots of cases raising a bunch of sissy drones thanks to our liberal public school system etc.

People like these raising children is the very reason why we have a generation of young people entering the workforce who are just BARELY smart enough to tie their shoes!!!

I was steering the tractor for our neighbor while he and my father picked up hay when I was 5 years old.
I'd bet the kid in that video will be able to do something besides play video games when he is a teenager!

Mike

at 8 years old i was driving a 80 horse tractor bush hogging the pasture , running riding lawnmowers and by 10 years old i was helping dad cut firewood , running weedeaters, so on so forth.

Everyone here is hell bent on safety , what about teaching your child good work ethics, how to do the job right ,

i agree with mike 100 percent on this . i bet this kid will know how to work , the father was there supervising and running the saw . remember when we were kids how dad would let us sit in his lap while riding down the road , and he would let us pretend like we was driving. what amazes me even more is that some people have the nerve to complain about having lazy ass kids and they wont teach them to do anything .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back