I just found a thread about cords per day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpilot83

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Now I know why some people need a 372XP as their 2nd or 3rd biggest saw.

I also learned why I don't need a 372XP or any other pro saw, ever. Somewhat disappointing because I like good tools.

Dang I'm out of my league here. Will I average a half cord a year? Probably not. Heck, I had to look up the definition of a cord of wood! Hats off to you guys. Maybe my borrowed McColluch Eager Beaver 2.0 2014 that's almost 25 years old is exactly where I should be, lol. Saw ownership should not be high on my list.

:)

I enjoy using a good saw. I grew up in Michigan and can honestly say I miss winter. Down here in Savannah, I can literally spit into the city limits. That is how lucky I am to still be able to run a saw whenever I want. I have 3/4 of an acre of woods that I am cutting up the downed timber. Nothing compared to cutting firewood for our stove up in MI.

I don't care. It is in my blood and even though I am the closest thing to a city slicker right now I will still use a saw.

But, I really am lucky to have the situation I do because I work on a lot of saws and I need the space and timber to test them out in.

I'm 61 and semi retired, you can see the saws I have listed and I have a County Line 22 ton splitter. Cut, load the truck, haul home and unload then split and stack. I do 10-15 cords a year for myself and friends/neighbors that are no longer able to cut. If I had to do more by myself I would be semi dead instead of semi retired. A bonus is that near me a guy sells HEAVY duty surplus industrial plastic pallets. 6-8" thick and 54"x 54". I put 2 pallets end to end and I drive two 6 1/2' t-posts on 2 sides and start stacking. When I get 4' high I know I have a cord.

I cut and split about 4 cords for myself, Then i sell about 20 cords of split wood
a season. Most I want to do a day is 3 cords cut, split and delivered not using a
processor.

Lee -

Let me guess, you walk into your saw storage shed, close your eyes, spin yourself around a few times and then point. Open your eyes, and the saw that you're pointing at gets fueled up and used for a day, right? Either that, or you just grab one of your 797's and cut until you can't handle the vibration and weight any more?

Please tell me you're not cutting wood with some plastic fantastic that's only a year or two old!

Scott

Lee -

Let me guess, you walk into your saw storage shed, close your eyes, spin yourself around a few times and then point. Open your eyes, and the saw that you're pointing at gets fueled up and used for a day, right? Either that, or you just grab one of your 797's and cut until you can't handle the vibration and weight any more?

Please tell me you're not cutting wood with some plastic fantastic that's only a year or two old!

Scott

Let me guess, your firearm of choice for combat would be a Brown Bess? Nothing wrong with "modern". lol Old age and treachery will overcome youth and strength.

Lee -

Scott

Not quite Scott. Thoses big ole heavy anchors like the 797 only get used on
the big stuff. All my firewood is cut with Sachs Dolmar 120SI's.

I average 10-12 cords a week. Thats me and a helper (he mostly stacks wood). I generally work about 80-100hrs a week, though some of that is logging, taking calls/emails, bookeeping, delivery, maintenance, etc. My helper I try to keep to about 40hrs. Usually just works around 10-6 M-F.

It's a bit stressfull planning it all out. Soon I'll have 2 more trucks so that will help. Just have 1 small truck, holds 2 cords, and a big truck, holds 5.5 cords

Best day was 6 cords cut, split, stacked in the truck and delivered. (My old truck had a 20ft bed vs 18 so held more)

Shoot I average 3-4 cords a year for my firewood, the rest is helping out neighbors.

I'll bet I spend 5x more time just tinkering with the damn things.

A tool in the hand is relaxing, regardless of whether or not I'm producing results.

Not sure how many cords of wood I cut in a year, but then I don't use firewood either. I run a tree Service and go through quite a bit of wood. I usually count how many gallon jugs of oil I have gone through. My brother-in-law usually comes in with a semi and flatbed and picks up the wood from me, or if I'm close, I'll dump it off at his place. He has quite the stack of wood now.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

i've done 4 cords in a day by myself with a trailer that held 2 a trip. not bad but sucked. in the fall/winter if i'm home i might do a 4-6 cord weekend for someone wanting to fill their wood shed but i don't cut to deliver small amounts to everyone anymore.

Back