I just scored me some good firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I posted an ad last week stating I was looking for fallen or live trees for firewood. I posted it on craiglist and within a few hours I had several emails. Some were too far away for the little amount they had or some had trees right next to their house and would need to climb.

However, I had one reply which was short and sweet. It just said "John Doe call 999-333-0303" That was it. I was kinda leaving that one last to call since there wasn't much info on the email besides that. So I called him the other day at noon and he is about 10 miles away. I said I'd come look at what he has.

So this morning I drove over there and he has over 80acres of trees, mostly oak and hickory that took a beating from the ice storm 2 yrs ago. Tons of big limbs laying around already seasoned. I just have to cut and load. He also said I could use his tractor to drag them out to an open area, cut split and load.. He's an older gentleman in his upper 70's and he said he had some health issues the last few yrs. and not able to get out and clean up the grove.

Can't wait to start cutting out there. I'm gonna start building a big wood shed for seasoning my wood now. I think that will be better than stacking in the open and putting a tarp on the top..

He's an older gentleman in his upper 70's and he said he had some health issues the last few yrs. and not able to get out and clean up the grove. ..

Nice find, if you dont leave ruts, clean up after yourself etc, you could have a long term oppurtunity.

Optimist thejdman04 :greenchainsaw:

Good find The only thing I can ad to thejdman04 is cut fast :)

no offense I hope thejdman04 I couldn't resist :)

iowa, nice score, especially the use of the tractor! :clap:

I might have to resort to advertising like you have in the next month or so.

Kevin

Way cool!

I posted an ad last week stating I was looking for fallen or live trees for firewood. I posted it on craiglist and within a few hours I had several emails. Some were too far away for the little amount they had or some had trees right next to their house and would need to climb.

However, I had one reply which was short and sweet. It just said "John Doe call 999-333-0303" That was it. I was kinda leaving that one last to call since there wasn't much info on the email besides that. So I called him the other day at noon and he is about 10 miles away. I said I'd come look at what he has.

So this morning I drove over there and he has over 80acres of trees, mostly oak and hickory that took a beating from the ice storm 2 yrs ago. Tons of big limbs laying around already seasoned. I just have to cut and load. He also said I could use his tractor to drag them out to an open area, cut split and load.. He's an older gentleman in his upper 70's and he said he had some health issues the last few yrs. and not able to get out and clean up the grove.

Can't wait to start cutting out there. I'm gonna start building a big wood shed for seasoning my wood now. I think that will be better than stacking in the open and putting a tarp on the top..

That is really cool! I bet he wouldn't mind driving the tractor for you if you do the hooking and unhooking. It would be something for him to do. Don't forget to feed the tractor!:)

My neighbor mentioned using his 4 wheeler to pull wood out.

Dan

Last edited:
Don't forget to feed the tractor!:)

My neighbor mentioned using his 4 wheeler to pull wood out.

Dan

If you do not have the funds in place to repair his fourwheeler,I would not use it.. Tractors were meant to pull. atvs were meant to sit on the seat and ride.just my 2 cents

Don't think he is too worried about ruts as it is very rutty!!!

I will be bringing my 5gal diesel jug allong with me everytime I go.

He just asked that I pile the brush up so he can move it around easier with the tractor to burn it.

It's amazing how this Craigslist works. I've bought and sold and found more good things off of there than I can shake a stick at. My furnace was found on there. It has kept my house more warm than ever. It's been so cozy in here! Compared to the last 3 yrs. I've kept it at like 70. I'm liking this 76 deg. weather in the house.. lol

Back