I know now why I made my dad so mad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm the exact opposite. I'm not building the Taj Mahal out there. If the stack is standing, that's the way its gonna stand. If the piece of wood fits through the door it gets burned. If I've used my saw, gas, and back to cut said pieces. They're not being given away or wasted.

I have a buddy who is real anal about his wood pile. He will only burn cherry and oak, and its got to be straight. He lets me cut all crooked stuff I want off his place. He calls it bonfire wood. I get piles of locust ash and pinn oak from his place. I'll call it BTU's Thank you!!!

Sometimes the twisted knotted uglies are more hassle than they are worth. I'm not picky about stacks or size and straightness of the splits as long as it burns. My dad burned wood until I was 12. Now he just watches my brother and I and says "I remember those days and I'm glad I don't mess with it anymore". Low and behold, he just upgraded his open fireplace to a very nice insert! So I guess he did miss it! He still doesn't have to "mess with it" as we bring our parents well stocked. My dad is one of the hardest working and most patient men I know. I didn't get the patience part! :dumb2:

My dad knew very little about outdoor stuff and never seemed to care to share the things he did know with me. Thankfully, Grandad and uncles took me under wing and started me right.

I don't usually worry about it too much. As long as the stacks don't fall over, it all burns the same. Pretty or not.

No matter how you stack, it still burns the same. The only time it bothered me was when we burned mostly slab wood, is was very cheap until propane and heating oil prices started climbing. The kids would stack the wood shed loose so they could fill it faster and be done.

Honestly not sure how or why my dad didn't kill me in my late teens. I wish I could go back in time and kick my own ass and listen to his advise. We work together pretty damn well now, but there was a time...
I have it on good authority that the old man was a hell raiser when he was a kid, so :laugh:

Latest posts

Back